inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's Cornier - Grillz or Laffy Taffy?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 1:48 am

I'd say Grillz.  I never though there would be a dumber song than "Laffy Taffy" until I heard that  ;D

I mean, really, rapping about teeth?

Subject: Re: What's Cornier - Grillz or Laffy Taffy?

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/06 at 1:58 am

What a tough one, lol. Actually there's a new candidate "Ms. New Booty" by Bubba Sparxxx, what a pathetic piece of trash.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 2:00 am

What a tough one, lol. Actually there's a new candidate "Ms. New Booty" by Bubba Sparxxx, what a pathetic piece of trash.

Ms. New Booty?  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/06 at 2:03 am

Ms. New Booty?  ;D

It's rising up the itunes top sellers, it's now 26th. I really don't know why anybody in their right mind would pay for that song.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 2:07 am

It's rising up the itunes top sellers, it's now 26th. I really don't know why anybody in their right mind would pay for that song.

I know!  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/21/06 at 9:52 am

Kill me...... now.......  ::)

I voted for the craptacular Grillz.  Lonely by Akon, is pretty bad too.  ::)  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 10:52 am

I'd say Grillz but only by a nose. Although I must say i'm sort of happy that both these songs came out because i'm hoping maybe they'll start some kind of backlash against rap(but i'm not gonna hold my breath) Also what is with this spelling words in the title wrong thing. I mean "Grillz" how pathetic.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 2:48 pm

I'd say Grillz but only by a nose. Although I must say i'm sort of happy that both these songs came out because i'm hoping maybe they'll start some kind of backlash against rap(but i'm not gonna hold my breath) Also what is with this spelling words in the title wrong thing. I mean "Grillz" how pathetic.

Exactly what I was thinking.  I was hoping they would/will be like what "Cherry Pie" and Nelson were to hair metal in 1990.  But probably not  ::)

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/06 at 4:49 pm

I will say Grillz because it's just so dumb to rap about "grillz".

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 4:57 pm

Yeah.  I mean at least Laffy Taffy is kind of a sex song.  That's a least a normal thing to rap about.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 5:47 pm

Exactly what I was thinking.  I was hoping they would/will be like what "Cherry Pie" and Nelson were to hair metal in 1990.  But probably not  ::)

No I woulnt be so sure. It's too early to tell just yet since those songs havent been out too long yet so I'm still waiting to see if a backlash will happen.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 6:10 pm

No I woulnt be so sure. It's too early to tell just yet since those songs havent been out too long yet so I'm still waiting to see if a backlash will happen.

Let's hope.  :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/06 at 6:40 pm

There's no option for "They're both pieces of sh*t"?

I can't believe the state of popular music sometimes.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 11:14 pm

There's no option for "They're both pieces of sh*t"?

I can't believe the state of popular music sometimes.

I know what you mean. And to think there are actually people out there who paid money to download these songs ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 11:15 pm

I know what you mean. And to think there are actually people out there who paid money to download these songs ;D

I know.  I downloaded "Grillz" for free, just because I love listening to bad music!  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 11:31 pm

I know.  I downloaded "Grillz" for free, just because I love listening to bad music!  ;D

It's good to have dowloaded just in case you have a bad day. Just cut it on and start laughing ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/06 at 11:40 pm

It's good to have dowloaded just in case you have a bad day. Just cut it on and start laughing ;D

lol.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/22/06 at 1:24 am

lol.

If these songs get any dumber Weird Al wont even have to re-write the songs to make a parody. He can just preform the original song since it's already like a comedy song. I mean "Grillz" and "Laffy Taffy" that's funny stuff. ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/22/06 at 7:57 am

If these songs get any dumber Weird Al wont even have to re-write the songs to make a parody. He can just preform the original song since it's already like a comedy song. I mean "Grillz" and "Laffy Taffy" that's funny stuff. ;D

;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/22/06 at 8:03 am

Listened to Laffy Taffy, it's sooooooooooooooo bad on sooooooo many levels!

Baby Got Back by Sir Mixx A Lot, is starting to sound like more and more a masterpiece.....  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/22/06 at 2:43 pm

Baby Got Back by Sir Mixx A Lot, is starting to sound like more and more a masterpiece.....  ;D

;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/22/06 at 2:45 pm

lol

Written By: sonikuu on 02/22/06 at 6:46 pm

Laffy Taffy is clearly the worst of the two.  The horrible rhymes and downright awful beat are proof of that.  I still can't believe the two songs in this topic actually hit #1 on the Hot 100 Charts.  Then again, those charts have been crap for years.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/22/06 at 7:29 pm

Laffy Taffy is clearly the worst of the two.  The horrible rhymes and downright awful beat are proof of that.  I still can't believe the two songs in this topic actually hit #1 on the Hot 100 Charts.  Then again, those charts have been crap for years.

All I can say is 2006 is getting off to a great start. ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/22/06 at 8:32 pm

;D

There is this song out now called get this....

Mrs. New Booty by Bubba Sparxxx.

Seriously.....

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/22/06 at 9:15 pm

;D

Seriously.....

;D ;D ;D

2006 will be the killing year for Rap, I think.  Just like 1990 was the cause of hair metal's death.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/22/06 at 9:24 pm

;D

Seriously.....

Yea I mentioned that one before. It's absolutely horrible, well it's from Bubba Sparxxx so what do you expect.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/23/06 at 12:32 am

;D

Seriously.....

Are you sure these songs aren't meant to be funny. ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/23/06 at 12:38 am

If you all think those songs are crap, just wait until Kevin Federline and Paris Hilton's albums drop.  Oh Lordy, will the crap fly then. 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/23/06 at 12:44 am

If you all think those songs are crap, just wait until Kevin Federline and Paris Hilton's albums drop.  Oh Lordy, will the crap fly then. 

;D Paris Hilton's coming out with an album? I didnt know that.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/23/06 at 9:19 am

It makes for an excellent coaster.  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/23/06 at 9:20 am

I can't wait....  ::)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/23/06 at 6:03 pm

It makes for an excellent coaster.  ;D

The box for a coaster and the c.d itself will make a great frisbee. ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/24/06 at 12:27 am

All I can say is 2006 is getting off to a great start. ;D

It's only going to get worse when Kevin Federline's CD comes out.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/24/06 at 12:33 am

;D ;D ;D

2006 will be the killing year for Rap, I think.  Just like 1990 was the cause of hair metal's death.

Yeap, it's not just me that thinks 2006 is the new 1990. The music really sucked in 1990. That was the year of MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Nelson, and Wilson Phillips. Yeap, sounds a lot like this year.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/24/06 at 12:40 am

Yeap, it's not just me that thinks 2006 is the new 1990. The music really sucked in 1990. That was the year of MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Nelson, and Wilson Phillips. Yeap, sounds a lot like this year.

So does that mean they'll be a culture shift in 2007 like in '91?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 1:12 am

I think so. Even now, the '00s is really wearing itself out, even though it's still very prevalent.  2004 was really the peak.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 1:14 am

Yeah, the '00s is dying even quicker than the "disco ball" '70s period and the peak '80s. It'll be dead by '09...records like that of Paris Hilton will be seen as '00s-prime nostalgia items and symbols of its stupidity in the '20s and '10s, respectively.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/24/06 at 1:27 am

I think so. Even now, the '00s is really wearing itself out, even though it's still very prevalent.  2004 was really the peak.

I'd agree that '04 was the peak of this decade culturally. It just seems like that this is gonna be a really bad year and that by next year people will really begin to grow tired of the same recycled music, reality t.v.,etc.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/24/06 at 1:35 am

2004 was definitely the peak. Generally I liked 2005, but it wasn't the peak of the decade. Things are different now, like you just don't know the direction we're going in, at least that's how I feel. This probably means that we're getting closer to a pop culture shift.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 1:38 am

2004 was definitely the peak. Generally I liked 2005, but it wasn't the peak of the decade. Things are different now, like you just don't know the direction we're going in, at least that's how I feel. This probably means that we're getting closer to a pop culture shift.

2005 was the 1985 of this decade.  Very central, very '00s, but nothing particulary definitive.  Just like 1985 was at the heart of the '80s, but wasn't really definitive aside from being the leftovers of 1984.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/24/06 at 1:41 am

2005 was the 1985 of this decade.  Very central, very '00s, but nothing particulary definitive.  Just like 1985 was at the heart of the '80s, but wasn't really definitive aside from being the leftovers of 1984.

Very true even American Idiot which was huge in '05 actually came out in '04.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 1:42 am

Very true even American Idiot which was huge in '05 actually came out in '04.

Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway, which is '04 is still selling copies and spawning singles.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/24/06 at 10:38 am

I hope so. Then there will be something to look forward to. The music finally improved in the 2nd half of '91 with the mix of rap and dance. It's also when grunge first came out.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/24/06 at 10:46 am

I know what you mean, there are some similarities between 2005 and 1985. But as I mentioned before, I think 2005 overall was more similar to 1989. I think each year is paralleling the year that was 16 years before it (2006=1990), rather than 20 years.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 6:25 pm

I hope so. Then there will be something to look forward to. The music finally improved in the 2nd half of '91 with the mix of rap and dance. It's also when grunge first came out.

1990 sucked musically because it was the nadir of 1980s music, essentially.  Just like 2006 is the nadir to the 1997-2006 period.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/05/06 at 11:26 am

A song that's even cornier than those two put together that I've been hearing on the radio is "I'm In Love With a Stripper". I mean that is just stupid! So far, that's the worst song of the year.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/05/06 at 3:44 pm

A song that's even cornier than those two put together that I've been hearing on the radio is "I'm In Love With a Stripper". I mean that is just stupid! So far, that's the worst song of the year.

Oh, I freaking hate T-Pain's music.

Ms. New Booty is also very, very stupid.

Written By: whistledog on 03/05/06 at 5:22 pm

other:  Donnie Darko.  It ust doesn't get any more cornier than him :P

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/05/06 at 6:13 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/05/06 at 6:16 pm

You know the way people were using Vanilla Ice as an example to how badly 1989/1990 culture sucked, along with Warrant's "Cherry Pie"? People will be using "Ms. New Booty" by T-Pain as an example of how badly 2006-2009 culture sucked, or some even worse thing that comes out after it. I'm guessing we haven't hit the bottom of the barrel yet.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/05/06 at 6:17 pm

stop taking these songs seriously. they are meant to be laughed it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/05/06 at 6:18 pm

Well, who's laughing? They aren't exactly successful in their goal. They used to be funny, now they're just unbearably stupid. Irony shouldn't be used as an excuse for poor quality.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/05/06 at 9:07 pm

Are you kidding?  I think they're HILARIOUS  ;D

In fact, I downloaded both of them simply because they're so awesomely bad.

Written By: AU300ModR on 03/09/06 at 5:05 pm

i can't really say to much b/c i haven't heard either one of these songs but it just seems to me that if you sing a song about ur teeth then it has got to be corny.

Written By: joeeeeee on 04/08/06 at 11:52 am

:o I KNOW its so dumb i mean who does that??

Check for new replies or respond here...