inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Michael Jackson dominates the charts once again!!! (#1 and #2 singles)

Written By: Zoso on 02/21/06 at 7:16 am

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/static/-/music/hot-cd-singles/ref=ts_ch_2_10/026-2836605-6413253

Sony BMG have re-released 20 of Michael Jackson's biggest hit singles on DualDisc. Currently, he has the #1 and #2 singles (Thriller and Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough_ on the Amazon.co.uk Hot 100 Singles chart, as well as a further 18 singles in that chart (his lowest placing being #31).

Pretty impressive for a guy that apparently a "washed-up hasbeen", and a "whacko freak."

Subject: Re: Michael Jackson dominates the charts once again!!! (#1 and #2 singles)

Written By: Mushroom on 02/21/06 at 10:30 am

Pretty impressive for a guy that apparently a "washed-up hasbeen", and a "whacko freak."

This does not mean he is not a washed up has-been.  All of these songs were hits the first time around.

What matters is what has he done lately?  I think it has been over 10 years since he did anything that people gave a damned about.

Subject: Re: Michael Jackson dominates the charts once again!!! (#1 and #2 singles)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/21/06 at 3:34 pm

Yeah, basically. His last really big hit was "Black or White", and that was back in the early '90s. He's essentially a bankrupt hasbeen now.

Written By: Zoso on 02/21/06 at 4:23 pm

"You Are Not Alone" was big hit (the first single in history to debut at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100). "Earth Song" was a UK X-mas #1 in 1995. "Blood on the Dance Floor" was a UK #1 in 1997. "You Rock My World" was a worlwide top ten hit in 2001. In 2002, "Butterflies" went #2 on the US R&B chart and #14 on the US hot 100 chart, and it wasn't even released on single! It reached those positions based on airplay alone. "One More Chance" was a R&B #1 in 2003.

I admit he's last BIG hits (compared to his standard) was "You Are Not Alone". But since then, he's enjoyed more chart success than today's artists who are supposed to be the "in" thing right now. IMO, Michael Jackson has been the "in" thing for the last 25 years, and still is. 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 5:03 pm

As good as his '80s stuff was, I agree: he's washed up, and freaky.  I don't really hate him though like a lot of people do: it's hard to hate something that isn't human anymore  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/21/06 at 5:38 pm

I haven't even heard any of Michael Jackson's songs since the mid-90s, they aren't played everywhere...in the '80s he was everywhere.

Written By: Mushroom on 02/21/06 at 6:08 pm

"You Are Not Alone" was big hit (the first single in history to debut at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100). "Earth Song" was a UK X-mas #1 in 1995. "Blood on the Dance Floor" was a UK #1 in 1997. "You Rock My World" was a worlwide top ten hit in 2001. In 2002, "Butterflies" went #2 on the US R&B chart and #14 on the US hot 100 chart, and it wasn't even released on single! It reached those positions based on airplay alone. "One More Chance" was a R&B #1 in 2003.

Yea, they all shot up on pre-release publicity.  WHen the songs finally came out, people realized how big a dissapointment they were.  After that, they fell off the charts just as fast.

Here is a snippet from an article when the album first came out:

A more accurate way to gauge the relevance of an artist is to look at airplay-only charts. In the mainstream Top 40 format, where Michael used to regularly hit No. 1, Butterflies isn't even among the top 70 most-played records. In rhythmic Top 40 (the more R&B-oriented version), the record went from 38 to 38 and will probably fall off next week.

The only airplay success he's having is in the R&B format, where Butterflies is No. 4 (No. 2 on the adult R&B sub-format).

I was working as a DJ in a club when that CD came out.  Other then playing Butterflies a few times, I never played any other song from it.  And after about 3 weeks, I never played it again.  And when a new Michael Jackson CD is barely played in a Los Angeles club, it is a stinker.

Written By: Gis on 02/22/06 at 9:58 am

I was watching a show on t.v not long ago for the top 20 most expensive videos ever made.Michael Jackson had two entries both for recent songs I'd never even heard of !

Written By: Zoso on 02/22/06 at 4:12 pm

Yeah, Scream and Ghosts. They are great videos.

UPDATE - "Don't Stop...." is #12 on the UK mid-week chart.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/22/06 at 5:15 pm

Why doesn't he just stay in Bahrain, continue to wear women's clothes and find new little boys to molest?  We don't need him darkening our shores anymore.  He can f*ck off with his weird ass.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 02/23/06 at 9:05 am

You forgot "pederast."

Why doesn't he just stay in Bahrain, continue to wear women's clothes and find new little boys to molest?  We don't need him darkening our shores anymore.  He can f*ck off with his weird ass.
Better yet, why don't they send him to Vietnam, so he can share a cell with fellow pedophile Gary Glitter? I'll bet they'd be great "cellmates."
Robbo ???
Yeah. Nice try, "Zoso."  ::)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/23/06 at 11:19 am

It's tragic that somebody who used to be so talented is now the most laughable person in the entertainment industry.

Written By: Gis on 02/23/06 at 11:39 am

It's tragic that somebody who used to be so talented is now the most laughable person in the entertainment industry.
I think that's what they call believing your own publicity to the point of losing your grip on reality.

Written By: McDonald on 02/23/06 at 11:45 am

You forgot "pederast

Wasn't he acquitted of those charges by an impartial jury? It's disappointing that no one can give an accused person the benefit of the doubt even after an acquittal, not because they actually know the case thoroughly, but just because of the nature of the crime of which he was accused.

What matters is what has he done lately?  I think it has been over 10 years since he did anything that people gave a damned about.

I haven't paid any attention to the more recent Jackson material, but a lot of people do. He is still popular in Europe, and yes, that's an actual place with real people whose opinions matter just as much as yours.

Written By: Mushroom on 02/23/06 at 12:58 pm

Wasn't he acquitted of those charges by an impartial jury?

Yes, but that is not the same as "Not Guilty".

Even most of the jurrors have admitted since then that they thought he was guilty, it was just that the DA did not prove it in this situation.  And that if they had known of some of the things that was kept from them, they would not have let him go.

And that was hardly the first time he had come under fire for this.  The original allegations date all the way back to 1993 and earlier.  In fact, it was because of the 1993-1994 incident that California changed their Child Molestation laws.  Back then, people with a lot of money could simply buy off an accuser, and they could refuse to testify.  Now, you have to file criminal charges in order to have a civil trial, and the victum (and any other involved parties) must testify.

If he was so innocent, then why did he give the family of Jordy Chandler $20,000,000?

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/mjcivil1.html

All the trial proved is that once again, a rich star is almost never convicted of a major crime.  OK Simpson, Robert Blake, Michael Jackson.  Some people are simply not convictable unless there is a videotape of them doing the crime (and even that can be explained away).

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/23/06 at 1:06 pm

Wasn't he acquitted of those charges by an impartial jury? It's disappointing that no one can give an accused person the benefit of the doubt even after an acquittal, not because they actually know the case thoroughly, but just because of the nature of the crime of which he was accused.

If you honestly think he didn't molest any children, you're as cracked as Wacko Jacko is. 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/23/06 at 4:05 pm

If you honestly think he didn't molest any children, you're as cracked as Wacko Jacko is. 

I think he did, unfortunately, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that he didn't.  It wouldn't be fair to act 100% sure.
OJ, on the other hand is a different story.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/23/06 at 4:06 pm

I don't know whether he exactly molested children or not, but I do that he is very disturbed and has some serious mental issues.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/23/06 at 4:07 pm

I don't know whether he exactly molested children or not, but I do that he is very disturbed and has some serious mental issues.

Anyone can realize that  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/23/06 at 5:43 pm

I think he did, unfortunately, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that he didn't.  It wouldn't be fair to act 100% sure.
OJ, on the other hand is a different story.

I vividly recall my elementary school principal turning a cafeteria table over when the verdict came down.  He flipped it over, knocked over some chairs and stomped back to the classroom. 

The school let us out for the afternoon because he was so mad he couldn't teach.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/23/06 at 6:11 pm

I vividly recall my elementary school principal turning a cafeteria table over when the verdict came down.  He flipped it over, knocked over some chairs and stomped back to the classroom. 

The school let us out for the afternoon because he was so mad he couldn't teach.

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...