inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When will glam rap die?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 4:58 pm

I'm thinking 2009, but some will hold over up to the early 2010s, perhaps as late as 2012.  It will be a real backlash though, not a perceived or theoretical one like the grunge death was.

Subject: Re: When will glam rap die?

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/06 at 5:00 pm

Probably the early 2010s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/21/06 at 5:34 pm

It will start noticeably declining in '07, decline through '08 in both popularity and sales, and then be basically dead or insignificant by sometime in '09.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 6:01 pm

Its a slow process this year will be the last big year for it. '07,'08,and '09 will all be declining years but it wont be dead in the water until 2010 IMO. I think it could last longer but a new type of music will gain popularity in 2009 and hurry its death up.

Written By: Mushroom on 02/21/06 at 6:11 pm

Glam Rap...  I can honestly say I have never heard that term.

I am sitting here, trying to picture what a "Glam Rap" artist would look like.  Maybe 50 Cent, wearing a Flock Of Seagulls hairdo, with classic Parlaiment face makeup?

Sing a rendition of I Ran A Bulletproof Flashlight

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 6:12 pm

Glam Rap...  I can honestly say I have never heard that term.

I am sitting here, trying to picture what a "Glam Rap" artist would look like.  Maybe 50 Cent, wearing a Flock Of Seagulls hairdo, with classic Parlaiment face makeup?

Sing a rendition of I Ran A Bulletproof Flashlight

;D

I call it "glam rap" because it's largely about money and sex, as opposed to the old '90s gangsta rap which was more focused on the ghetto rather than the rapper lifestyle.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 6:14 pm

;D

I call it "glam rap" because it's largely about money and sex, as opposed to the old '90s gangsta rap which was more focused on the ghetto rather than the rapper lifestyle.

Pretty much the term is taken from glam rock(basically hair metal) because of the similarities.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 6:16 pm

Pretty much the term is taken from glam rock(basically hair metal) because of the similarities.

Exactly.  Gangsta rap would be the equivalent to the arena rock of the '70s and early '80s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 6:21 pm

Exactly.  Gangsta rap would be the equivalent to the arena rock of the '70s and early '80s.

Dosent that just seem to set modern rap up for a huge backlash just like the one against glam rock in the 90's? I mean grunge was a little bit too down to earth IMO to have a huge backlash against it so that's why there has'nt been one but I think that when glam rap falls its gonna fall hard.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 6:22 pm

Dosent that just seem to set modern rap up for a huge backlash just like the one against glam rock in the 90's? I mean grunge was a little bit too down to earth IMO to have a huge backlash against it so that's why there has'nt been one but I think that when glam rap falls its gonna fall hard.

Totally.  2009, look out.  I think 2008 will be the beginnings, maybe even 2007 or this year.

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/06 at 7:16 pm

What in hte hell is glam rap?  ???  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/06 at 8:02 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 8:03 pm

I'm thinking rap music where everyone is blinged out?

Correctimundo.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/21/06 at 8:51 pm

Maybe it also could be called "corporate rap", hair metal and its kin MTV rock in the '80s was known as "corporate rock." Therefore, the C-Rap shortening  :).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 10:33 pm

Maybe it also could be called "corporate rap", hair metal and its kin MTV rock in the '80s was known as "corporate rock." Therefore, the C-Rap shortening  :).

I think corporate is a pretty accurate discription of it as it is basically rap being shoved down our throats by the music industry.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/22/06 at 2:19 am

I disagree with the whole comparing hair metal with c-rap (glam rap). Hair metal was actually listenable. C-rap, isn't.  ::)

Written By: Gis on 02/22/06 at 4:34 am

I wish the whole lot would die personally !

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/22/06 at 2:45 pm

I disagree with the whole comparing hair metal with c-rap (glam rap). Hair metal was actually listenable. C-rap, isn't.  ::)

Um, I'd call it about a draw  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/22/06 at 5:19 pm

Hair metal has its charm, but that's the difference between the '80s and its bastard twin shoved through a '90s blender, the '00s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/22/06 at 7:23 pm

I agree. I actually like some hair metal songs. The comparison is mostly due to the whole 80's-00's thing IMO.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/22/06 at 9:20 pm

I agree. I actually like some hair metal songs. The comparison is mostly due to the whole 80's-00's thing IMO.

Yeah, that's true.

However, even glam rap has it gems.  OutKast, for instance, are really good, and even Eminem has had some good songs.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/23/06 at 12:29 am

Yeah, that's true.

However, even glam rap has it gems.  OutKast, for instance, are really good, and even Eminem has had some good songs.

Every genre has its gems. It's just sad that they so often get overlooked.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/23/06 at 11:17 am

Yeah, OutKast is pretty good. No genre is totally bad...

Check for new replies or respond here...