inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Decline of Emo

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/21/06 at 10:43 pm

We're all dying for it. Say when you think it will decline and die (respectively), and why.

Subject: Re: Decline of Emo

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/06 at 10:45 pm

Emo will last into the '10s probably, but like today's rap it will probably fade by 2011 or so.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 10:51 pm

I think its gonna begin a real decline one year after rap does in 2008. In '09 a slight backlash against it will begin and by 2010 it'll be dead in the water.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/06 at 10:53 pm

What bands can you even classify as "emo"?  I mean, Dashboard Confessional is one of them, and I've heard Weezer and maybe Keane, but past that, I don't even know what the genre encompasses.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/06 at 10:57 pm

What bands can you even classify as "emo"?  I mean, Dashboard Confessional is one of them, and I've heard Weezer and maybe Keane, but past that, I don't even know what the genre encompasses.

Weezer and Keane are not emo imo. I think All American Rejects, Fall Out Boy, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, Taking Back Sunday, Relient K, and Panic at the Disco are some examples of emo.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 11:12 pm

Weezer and Keane are not emo imo. I think All American Rejects, Fall Out Boy, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, Taking Back Sunday, Relient K, and Panic at the Disco are some examples of emo.

Yeah I dont think Weezer is emo either but they often get classified as being emo.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/06 at 11:13 pm

Yeah I dont think Weezer is emo either but they often get classified as being emo.

It's all because Rivers Cuomo is shy and reserved, so he writes lyrics like that.  They've had maybe a few songs that are really "wah-wah", but that's it.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 11:18 pm

I think "Emo" will become a catch-all phrase for the non-grunge remnant rock music of the Zeroes, just like New Wave is a lump category for "Eighties" music. 

"True" emo is Good Charlotte-type stuff, basically any Blink-182 influenced music.  However, Weezer, the Killers, Radiohead, etc. will probably also be considered emo as time goes on.

Anyway, I voted 2011.  I think it's at its peak now, and will die quick.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/22/06 at 7:57 am

Soon, hopefully it will die a  quick and painful death.

Written By: limblifter on 02/22/06 at 8:43 am

Do you know what's even lamer than "EMO" music? People who stick labels on music and constantly whine about when they are going to go away.

What is with peoples obsession nowadays with sticking idiotic after idiotic tags to music?

Kid 1 - "Is this band EMO?
Kid 2 - "No, I think this band are considered Screamo"
Kid 1 - "Yeah you're right. For a minute there I was even thinking that they could be Creamo"
Kid 2  - "Creamo? No way. Maybe a little Shamalamadingdong-mo, even a little Falafalmo, but definately not Creamo"

And BTW. Music never dies. If you don't want to hear bands like Good Charlotte and Blink 182, stop listening to top 40 radio. There are a lot of great bands out there, stop spending so much time debating what category of music they should be in and just listen.

Check for new replies or respond here...