inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Good things about the 00's

Written By: sonikuu on 02/23/06 at 5:10 pm

I know the 00's aren't really popular here and they certainly aren't my favorite decade.  However, even the most cynical person must admit there are some good things have occured in this decade.  I was wondering what everyone here thinks are the good things about the 00's.  Here are mine.

-Movies have generally been pretty good this decade.  Some of my favorite movies are products of the 00's and I certainly must give the decade credit for this.
-Japanese animation rising to new heights of popularity.  While the stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh! is dumb, there are plenty of excellent shows for an older audience.  Now if only American cartoons would stop making copycat shows like Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi and Teen Titans
-Some of the best video games I've ever played have been released in this decade.  Look past all the crappy shooting games and sports games, and you'll find some true masterpieces.
-Red Sox finally winning the World Series
-The death of Nu Metal.  I think we all rejoiced when this happened.
-Indie Rock slowly gaining popularity over the past couple years.  At least a small percentage of the population likes good music.
-The nightime drama show making a comeback with shows like Lost.  Even if you don't like these type of shows, you have to admit they're better than reality tv.

So, what good things do you think have occurred in the 00's?  I'd be interested to see what everyone here thinks.

Subject: Re: Good things about the 00's

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/23/06 at 5:56 pm

So, what good things do you think have occurred in the 00's?  I'd be interested to see what everyone here thinks.

Like I've said before not all things in this decade are bad. There have been some great movies, a couple of good t.v. shows, and some great video games. Even the music of the 00's is o.k. but you have to be willing to look outside the box and find great underground artists. There have even been quite a few great mainstream artists in this decade as well. Are the 00's so far the greatest decade ever, no way in hell, but I dont think its nearly as bad as some people might think.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/23/06 at 6:20 pm

I think most indie rock this decade is pretty damn sucky and derirative, and is not as good as the stuff it imitates. It's all some kind of new fusion, but it's never good itself. And the whole "hipster" lifestyle that goes along with it is pretty despicable. I agree about the movies, they've been above average.

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/23/06 at 7:17 pm

Not a lot of good things except for the technology.

With all of this new tech, you now have the ability to teach new gadgets old tricks. How about converting your old tapes Double Dare or Nick Arcade onto DVD or your laptop. You can see the physical challenge on the road.

Written By: Tia on 02/23/06 at 7:24 pm

there's a "think positive" thread that touches on a lot of this stuff. the death of nu-metal is even mentioned! which is funny because i'm in a nu-metal cover band now.

Written By: whistledog on 02/23/06 at 8:06 pm

One great thing about the 00s so far is some of the dance music.  There have been alot of great techno songs in the last few years :)

Written By: Electric Youth on 02/23/06 at 11:13 pm

Ashley Tisdale coming onto the scene and is better than Messy Debbie and the cast of "Desperate Losers"  :D  8)

Also "Dave Chappelle  Show". 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/23/06 at 11:24 pm

*That fact that nerds are halfway cool
*The Internet
*MP3 Players
*Interesting times, which are exciting in a way
*Neo-Wave music
*Linkin Park
*System of a Down
*OutKast
*Donnie Darko, of course

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/25/06 at 12:59 am

I know the 00's aren't really popular here and they certainly aren't my favorite decade.  However, even the most cynical person must admit there are some good things have occured in this decade.  I was wondering what everyone here thinks are the good things about the 00's.  Here are mine.

-Movies have generally been pretty good this decade.  Some of my favorite movies are products of the 00's and I certainly must give the decade credit for this.
-Japanese animation rising to new heights of popularity.  While the stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh! is dumb, there are plenty of excellent shows for an older audience.  Now if only American cartoons would stop making copycat shows like Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi and Teen Titans
-Some of the best video games I've ever played have been released in this decade.  Look past all the crappy shooting games and sports games, and you'll find some true masterpieces.
-Red Sox finally winning the World Series
-The death of Nu Metal.  I think we all rejoiced when this happened.
-Indie Rock slowly gaining popularity over the past couple years.  At least a small percentage of the population likes good music.
-The nightime drama show making a comeback with shows like Lost.  Even if you don't like these type of shows, you have to admit they're better than reality tv.

Nu-metal isn't completely gone...P.O.D. just released a new CD.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/25/06 at 1:09 am

Tony Stewart getting both his championships in this decade, first in '02, and again last year...

Jack Roush drivers getting getting championship wins in '03(Matt Kenseth) and '04(Kurt Busch)

Fox Sports covering NASCAR along with NBC....But I'll take Benny Parsons over Darrell Waltrip as far as color commentary is concerned.

The Philadelphia Eagles getting into the Super Bowl in 2004

Trump having Tony Stewart, Dale Jarrett, and Michael Waltrip in a Q&A session at the Taj Mahal in Atlantic City...I was there!!!

in 2009, George W. Bush will be out of office, finally!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/25/06 at 9:52 pm

One of racing's sexiest men, Carl Edwards, has made it to the cover of ESPN the Magazine...note to self: stop hyperventilating!

I'd love to be in the same room with Edwards, Tony Stewart, and Dale Jr.-I can't say here what might go on, this is a clean messageboard.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/25/06 at 11:35 pm

A lot of the music (even though a number of rap songs are crappy especially in the mid '00s), I like many '00s pop/hip-hop/r&b/alternative songs, numetal, even emo is ok.
Television is pretty good outside of a lot of the reality shows, even some of those are ok.
Movies are alright though I don't watch too many movies.
The technology is great with iPods, HDTV, LCD monitors, digital cameras.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/25/06 at 11:58 pm

They release special edition DVDs of TV shows and music videos, making them easier to access than before.

Really, a general point: Everything but the tech about this decade sucks, and some of the tech has disturbing long-term effects (iPod isolation, anyone?)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/26/06 at 12:21 am

A lot of the music (even though a number of Grillz are crappy especially in the mid '00s), I like many '00s pop/hip-hop/r&b/alternative songs, numetal, even emo is ok.
Television is pretty good outside of a lot of the reality shows, even some of those are ok.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/26/06 at 12:25 am

A lot of the music (even though a number of Grillz are crappy especially in the mid '00s), I like many '00s pop/hip-hop/r&b/alternative songs, numetal, even emo is ok.

lol. That's exactly and I mean exactly what I said. Oh I see now, lol.  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/26/06 at 12:26 am

lol. That's exactly and I mean exactly what I said.

Yes.  I copied it and changed rap to Grillz  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/26/06 at 12:27 am

Yes.  I copied it and changed rap to Grillz  ;D

Yea I noticed that after I read it over a little closer. lol.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/26/06 at 1:48 am

Also, apart from the sentimental value I have for my old VHS tapes, for certain things like TV series' or special features, DVDs are roughly 1000x better. But I'm a sentimental guy.

Written By: rich1981 on 02/26/06 at 2:05 am

This very board!  :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/26/06 at 2:25 am

Met and married my hubby in the 00's, so thus far, this decade hs been pretty good for me.  :D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/26/06 at 7:18 am

mp3 players and Microsoft's XBox..and the Nintendo Game Boy Advance SP which you never have to buy batteries for, it has a rechargeable built in, just plug it into an outlet and recharge. And the Airbus A380 which I started a thread about. Nice aircraft that's supposed to be 'green' as well as passenger-friendly with quite a few amenities.

Jury's still out on XBox 360 and PSP...they have yet to impress me.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/26/06 at 7:21 am

No new Limp Bizkit stuff, maybe we've heard the last of that dips*it Fred Durst!

Written By: Stompgal on 02/27/06 at 7:38 am

Playstation 2
Various types of I Pod
More TV channels on digital cable and satellite
DAB digital radios
DVDs
DVD recorders
PSP
Nintendo DS
Healthier choices at some fast food chains, especially McDonald's and Burger King.

Written By: gmann on 02/27/06 at 3:02 pm

Reason enough for the 00s to be a great decade: Coldplay! Well...*I* like 'em, anyway.  :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 3:49 pm

Reason enough for the 00s to be a great decade: Coldplay! Well...*I* like 'em, anyway.  :)

Coldplay are awesome!

Death Cab are better though.  They're kind of like Coldplay.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/01/06 at 8:25 pm

Carl Edwards being sans shirt on the cover of ESPN Magazine......and people think NASCAR guys aren't into physical fitness or working out....both him and Mark Martin are fitness-minded, does it help them during races, yes!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/14/06 at 8:05 pm

Tony Stewart getting both of his championship wins in this decade and actually being cheered instead of booed as of last season. Yes, Tony has changed for the better since moving back to Indiana.

The other good thing about the 00's, NASCAR-wise...Carl Edwards. He's an awesome driver...has anyone else ever seen what he does after he wins a race? I could never do backflips like that..Besides, Carl is absolutely sexy. That body, oh my god...but I still love Tony Stewart and always will.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/14/06 at 8:39 pm

Things I like about the 00's....

Coldplay
Lord of The Rings Trilogy
Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2
digital cable
mp3
special edition DVDs
Lost
Chappelle Show
The Internet
OutKast
Canadian Women's Hockey Team winning the gold medal.
Canada's medal count for the 2006 winter olympics

Written By: Carl on 03/15/06 at 10:58 am

smaller cell phones, some good deals.
IM

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/15/06 at 7:54 pm

More choices in MP3 players....with some that use flash memory and others that use hard drives...

Digital TV(ATSC standard)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/16/06 at 3:20 am

The best thing for me is music compression, and revolutionary ways of exchanging music. Sure, it's sad to see vinyl.etc decline, but it it wasn't for the humble mp3 player, I wouldn't be anywhere as near interested in music as I am now. And I wouldn't have found this site.  :)

Written By: 90sto2000sfanrob on 03/17/06 at 3:33 am

1.The internet - The internet was pretty popular in the late 90s but now it's just huge. We have my space, aim, etc, all easier ways to communicate with your friends while staying in touch with them more personally. I love it!
2.Movies - Plenty of fantastic movies so far this century. Many remakes and sequals but also great films like, Million Dollar Baby, Adaptation, Sideways, Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, Royal Tenenbaums, etc. Those are just a few off the top of my head.
3.I went to high school this century. I started high school at the turn of the century and ended in 04. Had great times in school and some great friends. All the best times of my life are beetween 00 and 04. I will always remember those years intimately. I don't talk to many of the kids I went to school with much anymore but we all had incredible times together.
4.Better technology - Technology all together is excellent. It's really just growing and becoming greater.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/18/06 at 5:19 pm

8)  No longer having to go to an adult day care.  :) 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/23/06 at 5:40 pm

8)   No longer having to go to an adult day care.  :) 

:)

Check for new replies or respond here...