inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Late '90s/early '00s vs. mid '00s: Difference in the atmosphere

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/23/06 at 11:42 pm

There is a clear difference in the atmosphere. The late '90s/very early '00s were very upbeat, it was the new millennium, the economy was great, it was a very positive enviroment. The mid '00s atmosphere is more of a darker atmosphere, a war is going on, the economy is not as good. I think September 11th is the turning point. Upbeat pop songs show the late '90s atmosphere quite well, while I think "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" is great in showing the feeling of the mid '00s.

Subject: Re: Late '90s/early '00s vs. mid '00s: Difference in the atmosphere

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/23/06 at 11:45 pm

There's more of a really firmly entrenched semi-'80s big money culture now, except with a big dash of hip hop and hipsterness. Anything with the word hip in it, it seems. Also, I think there's more of a downbeat view of the world, and people are more focused on aesthetics. The atmosphere change was really '02, we've pretty much been going in the same direction since then.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/23/06 at 11:49 pm

There is a clear difference in the atmosphere. The late '90s/very early '00s were very upbeat, it was the new millennium, the economy was great, it was a very positive enviroment. The mid '00s atmosphere is more of a darker atmosphere, a war is going on, the economy is not as good. I think September 11th is the turning point. Upbeat pop songs show the late '90s atmosphere quite well, while I think "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" is great in showing the feeling of the mid '00s.

I think so.  Even 1999 seems a little "retro late 20th Century" now, compared to 2006.

Since 9/11, it's been more culturally regressed, not to mention pop culture IS hip hop.  Before 2001, hip hop was just a popular genre of music, today even kiddie stuff is hip hop influenced.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/24/06 at 1:16 am

I think so.  Even 1999 seems a little "retro late 20th Century" now, compared to 2006.

Since 9/11, it's been more culturally regressed, not to mention pop culture IS hip hop.  Before 2001, hip hop was just a popular genre of music, today even kiddie stuff is hip hop influenced.

Excactly. 2001/'02 was a turning point not a huge one like '91 but still a turning point. Somehow rap came up out of that time with teen pop's popularity falling and became the mainstream. It had been pretty popular for awhile but 2002 was its first huge year I think.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 1:26 am

Excactly. 2001/'02 was a turning point not a huge one like '91 but still a turning point. Somehow rap came up out of that time with teen pop's popularity falling and became the mainstream. It had been pretty popular for awhile but 2002 was its first huge year I think.

I agree. 1988 was probably the first year rap was a household name, 1992 was the first year it became a powerhouse genre.  1995 was when it became more hip, even if rock still sold more albums and concerts.  But in 2001, the general outlook of the future dimmed, and rap became the prime mover of general culture and not just music.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/24/06 at 1:27 am

Late 2001 is when hip-hop became the culture instead of just being part of the culture.

Check for new replies or respond here...