inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The '00s After They're Over/The Anti-'00s Backlash

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 12:07 am

How will the '00s be seen by say, later 2009, which I'm targeting as its end date? I'm going to say people will be exasperated and dislike the hipsters, vacuous materialism, glam rap, "hip and expensive" aspect, reality TV, obsession with expensive gadgets, fashions etc. On that note, what do you think there will be a backlash against starting seriously in '09.

Subject: Re: The '00s After They're Over/The Anti-'00s Backlash

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 12:18 am

They'll definitely be backlashed.  Ripping off the '70s may have saved the '90s, but ripping off the '90s won't save the '00s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/24/06 at 12:59 am

They'll definitely be backlashed.  Ripping off the '70s may have saved the '90s, but ripping off the '90s won't save the '00s.

The 00's have been a decade of excess just like the 80's. And how many years did it take for them to get out of the doghouse again?

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 1:00 am

I would say the '80s got out of the doghouse in 2002. I predict the '00s won't get out of it as a decade of excess until the mid-2020s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 1:07 am

The 00's have been a decade of excess just like the 80's. And how many years did it take for them to get out of the doghouse again?

;D

Yeah, the '00s are very excessive.  But in a way, they still have a "less is more" vibe to them also.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/24/06 at 1:08 am

I would say the '80s got out of the doghouse in 2002. I predict the '00s won't get out of it as a decade of excess until the mid-2020s.

Yeah once the kids this decade start to grow-up a little they might start to be nostalgic for the 00's but I'm not sure if the people that call this decade "there time"(like me) will be nostalgic for it(I know I wont)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 1:10 am

Yeah once the kids this decade start to grow-up a little they might start to be nostalgic for the 00's but I'm not sure if the people that call this decade "there time"(like me) will be nostalgic for it(I know I wont)

I think the '00s will be remembered alternately as the "new '80s" and as the "Nineties' evil little sister".  I'm sure they'll be candy-coated in the future though.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 1:11 am

I think the '00s will be remembered alternately as the "new '80s" and as the "Nineties' evil little sister".  I'm sure they'll be candy-coated in the future though.

Probably there will be candy-coated glam rap nostalgia and emo nostalgia and reality TV nostalgia, the kids from post Gen Z who don't remember it at all will be into it. But yeah, Donnie, I agree that it'll be remembered alternately as those two, along with the worst decade in American politics ever.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 1:13 am

Probably there will be candy-coated glam rap nostalgia and emo nostalgia and reality TV nostalgia, the kids from post Gen Z who don't remember it at all will be into it. But yeah, Donnie, I agree that it'll be remembered alternately as those two, along with the worst decade in American politics ever.

I agree.  To a Gen AAer, they will be the magical "almost 20th Century" decade of freedom and Crunk partying.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 1:16 am

I agree.  To a Gen AAer, they will be the magical "almost 20th Century" decade of freedom and Crunk partying.

Sort of like the way we view the '80s as the last decade of the 20th century but close enough to now to be cool, a mindlessly fun time of freedom, when MTV was cool and people dressed funny and the music was really corny and fun. All true in some way, but alot of people who actually lived through the '80s aren't so keen on them, because they know the reality of them more.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/24/06 at 1:22 am

Sort of like the way we view the '80s as the last decade of the 20th century but close enough to now to be cool, a mindlessly fun time of freedom, when MTV was cool and people dressed funny and the music was really corny and fun. All true in some way, but alot of people who actually lived through the '80s aren't so keen on them, because they know the reality of them more.

That's exactly why I cant see myself being nostalgic for this decade in the 2020's.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 1:23 am

Yeah.  In a way, I'm glad I wasn't around for the '80s, because then I might not like them as much.  Although I would kill to be born in 1989 rather than 1990, lol.  

But at least I'm way better off than someone born in 2000 or 2001!

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 1:24 am

I could've been born in 1988, my parents were sort of periodically half-trying to conceive since 1987 but kept delaying it and changing their minds.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/24/06 at 1:25 am

Yeah.  In a way, I'm glad I wasn't around for the '80s, because then I might not like them as much.  Although I would kill to be born in 1989 rather than 1990, lol.  

But at least I'm way better off than someone born in 2000 or 2001!

Yea that would suck because you wouldn't remember any of the 20th century at all. At least you and I can remember the last few years of the 20th century.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 1:27 am

Yea that would suck because you wouldn't remember any of the 20th century at all. At least you and I can remember the last few years of the 20th century.

Yeah, I know!

Although like I've said I think 1993-1999 is 21st in everything but date, based on what we're in now.  But that's likely to change.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/24/06 at 1:29 am

Yeah, I know!

Although like I've said I think 1993-1999 is 21st in everything but date, based on what we're in now.  But that's likely to change.

But it's still cool to remember the turn of the century.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 1:30 am

But it's still cool to remember the turn of the century.

Oh, without a doubt.  And it's not like anyone besides inthe00s residents would consider the 1990s the 21st Century anyways.  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/24/06 at 1:31 am

Oh, without a doubt.  And it's not like anyone besides inthe00s residents would consider the 1990s the 21st Century anyways.  ;D

lol

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/24/06 at 1:35 am

Or consider 1990 to be part of the 80's ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 1:36 am

Or consider 1990 to be part of the 80's ;D

;D

Written By: gmann on 02/24/06 at 6:34 am

All true in some way, but alot of people who actually lived through the '80s aren't so keen on them, because they know the reality of them more.

Bingo! This is the point I think I was trying to make in the "Nostalgia (or: Has This Ever Happened to You?)" thread on the 80s board. I just had difficulty articulating it. :) People too young to recall the decade in question are more likely to have a warped view of all things cool, when the reality is that...well, it was just another ten-year span of history. Not necessarily bad, but not necessarily any better than any other decade, IMO. I guess that's what I was trying to say earlier. Thanks for the help!

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/24/06 at 8:18 am

On December 31, 2009 at 11:59:59 PM, I'll be saying good ridance to this decade. ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/24/06 at 9:04 am

Me too!  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/24/06 at 11:47 am

Bingo! This is the point I think I was trying to make in the "Nostalgia (or: Has This Ever Happened to You?)" thread on the 80s board. I just had difficulty articulating it. :) People too young to recall the decade in question are more likely to have a warped view of all things cool, when the reality is that...well, it was just another ten-year span of history. Not necessarily bad, but not necessarily any better than any other decade, IMO. I guess that's what I was trying to say earlier. Thanks for the help!

I know that's the same way I feel about this decade. I think the 80's was a great decade but I was only alive for three years of them and cant remember the decade period. But since I was 13 when this decade started I can remember it all for the good and the bad and cant really see myself being too nostalgic for it right now. But I could see some kid born in 2005 and not being able to really know what was going on thinking its the best thing since sliced bread.

Check for new replies or respond here...