inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lack of Singer-Songwriters in the '00s

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 12:40 am

I've noticed there's a serious lack of really good singer-songwriters this decade...the '90s had Jeff Buckley, Elliott Smith, Rufus Wainwright, Tori Amos, Tracy Chapman, Victoria Williams, Liz Phair, Michelle Shocked, etc., and some of the more commercial ones like Alanis Morisette, Natalie Imbruglia, and Sarah McLachlan at the end of the decade, but there're very few right now. I think they'll probably return in the '10s...but this irks me for now.

Subject: Re: Lack of Singer-Songwriters in the '00s

Written By: gmann on 02/24/06 at 6:36 am

I've noticed there's a serious lack of really good singer-songwriters this decade...the '90s had Jeff Buckley, Elliott Smith, Rufus Wainwright, Tori Amos, Tracy Chapman, Victoria Williams, Liz Phair, Michelle Shocked, etc., and some of the more commercial ones like Alanis Morisette, Natalie Imbruglia, and Sarah McLachlan at the end of the decade, but there're very few right now. I think they'll probably return in the '10s...but this irks me for now.

Does Ryan Adams count?

Written By: gmann on 02/24/06 at 9:55 am

I thought of another one. Howie Day is of the singer/songwriter style...

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 10:01 am

He isn't good, though. Jack Johnson, etc. are just imitators of the style and are too commercial, there are very few true practitioners at their height right now.

Written By: Mushroom on 02/24/06 at 6:03 pm

This is because of the decreasing revenue from CD sales.

Before the popularity of P2P sales, music companies would take chances on unknown artists, and let them write more of their own material.  But as sales shrink, they are becomming less adventuresome.

Over the years, songwriters have been used to provide material for singers.  And quite often, the songwriters are themselves able to break out as singers.  Barry Manilow and Bruce Springsteen are 2 examples of this.  But for the most part, they work in obscurity, and the singers are simply a musical form of "talking head".

And do not expect this to change in the near future.  As revenues shrink, expect music to change very little.  Companies will stick with something guaranteed to make money instead of taking a chance on something new.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 6:22 pm

I really think restrictions on P2P filesharing and music downloading will be passed over the next few years or the music companies will get too pissed at them to continue with them, so I'm trying to enjoy them while they last. However, since I'm not using iTunes, ever, it's a nuisance trying to get a whole album on Limewire  >:(. If only CDs cost like $5...

Written By: Mushroom on 02/24/06 at 6:24 pm

I really think restrictions on P2P filesharing and music downloading will be passed over the next few years or the music companies will get too pissed at them to continue with them, so I'm trying to enjoy them while they last. However, since I'm not using iTunes, ever, it's a nuisance trying to get a whole album on Limewire  >:(. If only CDs cost like $5...

iTunes is not the only one.  THere are dozens od sources that aferage under $20 a month, inclusing Napster, eMusic, and others.

I will not use iTunes either.  Then again, I will never again own anything mady by Apple.  I refuse to support a monopoly.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 6:27 pm

iTunes is not the only one.  THere are dozens od sources that aferage under $20 a month, inclusing Napster, eMusic, and others.

I will not use iTunes either.  Then again, I will never again own anything mady by Apple.  I refuse to support a monopoly.

Yeah, the Apple Corporation tries to control people's musical taste...I really do think restrictions will be passed on downloading music by 2008. Downloading music will coast the same or more as an album, and they'll shut down the free services like Limewire.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/24/06 at 6:32 pm

iTunes is really a great program, and the DRM is not too restrictive, but I don't like the way they're trying to create a monopoly in digital music. I think the subscription programs are a great idea, I'd pay for that before I'd pay for satellite radio.

Written By: Zoso on 02/24/06 at 9:32 pm

You're write. These are the only singer-songwriters that have emerged in the 2000s that I can think of...

Alex Lloyd
Delta Goodrem
Missy Higgins
James Blunt
Jack Johnson

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 9:48 pm

You're write. These are the only singer-songwriters that have emerged in the 2000s that I can think of...

Alex Lloyd
Delta Goodrem
Missy Higgins
James Blunt
Jack Johnson

I haven't heard of the first three and the last two suck. Feh.

Written By: gmann on 02/24/06 at 9:56 pm

Alex Lloyd
Delta Goodrem
Missy Higgins
James Blunt
Jack Johnson

What little James Blunt I've heard so far has been okay. I kinda dig "You're Beautiful". *sigh* I must be going all soft in my old age.

Written By: Electric Youth on 02/24/06 at 10:38 pm

Would Natasha Bedingfield counts since she writes her own songs. Same for Deborah Gibson (she still releases music)?

I know they're not folk, but I also count them as "singer/songwriters" since they do write their own lyrics  :)

Written By: whistledog on 02/24/06 at 10:47 pm

Alex Lloyd
Delta Goodrem
Missy Higgins
James Blunt
Jack Johnson

I like Delta Goodrem.  Not only is she gorgeous, but she has a few good songs :)

http://www.music-atlas.com/images/delta_goodrem_1.jpg

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/24/06 at 11:59 pm

This is because of the decreasing revenue from CD sales.

Before the popularity of P2P sales, music companies would take chances on unknown artists, and let them write more of their own material.  But as sales shrink, they are becomming less adventuresome.

Over the years, songwriters have been used to provide material for singers.  And quite often, the songwriters are themselves able to break out as singers.  Barry Manilow and Bruce Springsteen are 2 examples of this.  But for the most part, they work in obscurity, and the singers are simply a musical form of "talking head".

And do not expect this to change in the near future.  As revenues shrink, expect music to change very little.  Companies will stick with something guaranteed to make money instead of taking a chance on something new.

Very good post - makes alot of sense too.

Only thing is, I wonder what'll happen if something stops making money all of a sudden, or shrinks noticeably? In other words, let's say in 2007 people get sick of Good Charlotte-styled pop/punk, and the newer acts in that style are no longer selling to the extent they once were.

If something like that were to happen, would they panic and scramble to find something to fill the void? Or would they get even MORE restrictive/centralized with whatever styles were proven to still be popular (i.e. bling bling rap, American Idol-esque pop)?

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/25/06 at 12:07 am

Very good post - makes alot of sense too.

Only thing is, I wonder what'll happen if something stops making money all of a sudden, or shrinks noticeably? In other words, let's say in 2007 people get sick of Good Charlotte-styled pop/punk, and the newer acts in that style are no longer selling to the extent they once were.

If something like that were to happen, would they panic and scramble to find something to fill the void? Or would they get even MORE restrictive/centralized with whatever styles were proven to still be popular (i.e. bling bling rap, American Idol-esque pop)?

I think the record companies doing that would just make people even more sick of what there currently is out there. Record sales would go so low that they would be forced to scour the underground for decent acts.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 2:42 am

and the singers are simply a musical form of "talking head".

How dare you dis the Talking Heads!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...