inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Biggest Decades Backlash

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 8:34 pm

What was the biggest decade backlash? I'm going with either '70s to '80s or '80s to '90s of the already happened ones, but I predict the '00s to '10s backlash will be huge and ugly.

Subject: Re: Biggest Decades Backlash

Written By: Zoso on 02/24/06 at 9:26 pm

I also predict a huge 00s -10s backlash!

Written By: gmann on 02/24/06 at 9:49 pm

There could be a '00s to 10's backlash, but I'm at a loss as to what the fuss would be about. Help me out, guys.

Biggest backlash ever? I'd say the 70's/80's, but in retrospect I'd add that the 60s remained in the "uncool" category well into the 80s. I don't have a good answer.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/24/06 at 9:50 pm

'70s-'80s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 11:05 pm

'70s-'80s.

Yeah I agree. The '80s to '90s backlash was huge, but a lot of '80s seeped through them anyhow.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/24/06 at 11:07 pm

Yeah I agree. The '80s to '90s backlash was huge, but a lot of '80s seeped through them anyhow.

Yea from what I've heard a lot of people absolutely hated the '70s in the '80s. While in the '90s, people didn't really discuss the '80s much, I don't really think they were hated.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 11:09 pm

Yea from what I've heard a lot of people absolutely hated the '70s in the '80s. While in the '90s, people didn't really discuss the '80s much, I don't really think they were hated.

Well, I think arena rock and hair bands and stuff were hated, and the fashions, but otherwise I think they were more ignored in the '90s, like the '90s are today.  But in the '80s, the '70s were a complete joke.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 11:24 pm

I voted for '80s-'90s, but the '70s backlash in the '80s was probably what I should have voted for...things like bellbottoms, disco, and '70s straight hair seemingly went out overnight. I feel like 1979-1981 was sort of a blah pre-80s, post-70s period when people hated the '70s but it wasn't really the '80s yet, per se. What was hot in the charts in 1978 was Chic, A Taste of Honey, The Bee-Gees, Donna Summer, the Commodores, Yvonne Elliman, ABBA, Johnny Mathis, disco by the Rolling Stones and Frankie Valli. By 1982 it was The Jam, Madness, Adam Ant, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Michael Jackson, and Culture Club. There has not been another transition quite as big. 1988's top hits were by INXS, Erasure, U2, Michael Jackson, Gloria Estefan, The Beach Boys, Poison, Guns N' Roses, Whitesnake, and 1992's were Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Faith No More, R.E.M, and the Spin Doctors with '90s soul like Mariah Carey, Boyz II Men, and Whitney Houston, the peak year of '90s alt rock basically, but there was still alot of INXS, Guns N' Roses, Bon Jovi, etc. Also, TV totally changed between the '70s and '80s, alot of '80s TV lasted into the '90s. The '70s were despised in the '80s totally as a joke. I really think it was that pop-cultural backlash that moved us into our present late 20th/early 21st pop culture out of mid-20th century pop culture, and it was probably one of the biggest ones. However, I really think whatever happens in 2010 will be pretty big.

Written By: Criz on 02/25/06 at 9:54 am

I think people did hate the 80s in the 90s, people were very embarrssed by a lot of things...and they still are when they look back.

Nowadays, for the younger generation (i.e the y'ers), the 80s have become cool again - and personally, I love the 80s! But only if you can get past the big hair and the shoulder pads and the terrible novelty records! ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/25/06 at 1:12 pm

'70s to '80s

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/25/06 at 2:19 pm

Yeah, the '80s have definitely become cool again since 2002. Also, lots of music, fashion, and TV now carries heavy '80s influences in terms of mood. Of course, '70s-'90s was the 20-year classic, but there was also '50s-'70s and '60s-'80s (more early-mid '60s than late, influence on interior and fashion design and lots of the MTV pop of the early-mid '80s.) Now, they have '80s nights at dance clubs, and lots of '80s fans are coming out of the closet.

Check for new replies or respond here...