inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Let's get down to it ... are the '00s the New Nineties?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/26/06 at 3:13 am

I would say in some ways yes, but overall no. 

Late 2005 was kind of when I finally felt removed from the nineties.  Sure, there's still nineties-type stuff around (tons of it), but then again in 1996 there was quite a bit of '80s stuff around, even if nobody would want to admit it.

Subject: Re: Let's get down to it ... are the '00s the New Nineties?

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/26/06 at 3:23 am

No.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/26/06 at 3:25 am

I think the mindset is still very '90s (i.e. what was cool in 1993 and how kids/teens acted wais closer to that of 2006 than it was to 1988), but the pop culture is certainly not a new 1990-96 when you look closer. Maybe 1997-99 though.

BTW, I do think the '90s into the '00s is the most seemless of any decade since the '50s. Hell, when 1997 rolled around and movies like Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion came out (i.e. set in the '80s) it seemed almost appropriate to call it retro, even though it was still very recent in history.

That would be like a '90s high school movie coming out next year in 2007. Way, way way less of a difference.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/26/06 at 3:31 am

...then again in 1996 there was quite a bit of '80s stuff around, even if nobody would want to admit it.

Or how there were 70s-ish songs and movies still around as late as 1983. Disco influenced '80s dance music, although no one would be caught dead admitting that back then. ;D

You know what? Even though CD's are more of a '90s/00s thing, I think the introduction of it really set '80s technology apart from the era before. I'd say 1986 is when their breakout year was (my family got our first player in '86 or '87 I believe). Records, tapes, videogame systems and VCR's were a big part of '80s technology, but those had all actually been around since at least the late '70s in primitive form.

Much like Ipods and such are the "2000s" technology, even if it's a bit late 90s-ish.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/26/06 at 3:47 am

Or how there were 70s-ish songs and movies still around as late as 1983. Disco influenced '80s dance music, although no one would be caught dead admitting that back then. ;D

You know what? Even though CD's are more of a '90s/00s thing, I think the introduction of it really set '80s technology apart from the era before. I'd say 1986 is when their breakout year was (my family got our first player in '86 or '87 I believe). Records, tapes, videogame systems and VCR's were a big part of '80s technology, but those had all actually been around since at least the late '70s in primitive form.

Much like Ipods and such are the "2000s" technology, even if it's a bit late 90s-ish.

Yeah I'd agree, on both threads.  In 1998, the '80s seemed ancient, although to someone born, say ten years before me they probably seemed like yesterday.  But, like I've said, I think the nineties is socially and technologically part of the early 21st Century, even if it's not really that much different in the long haul from the 1980s and isn't quite "end of the world" ish like today is.  That is, there wasn't a centurial gap in the '90s with the '70s or the '80s, but there is one with the '00s and '80s and there's not one with the '00s and '90s, if that makes any sense.  The '80s in a way actually feels like another century, as sad as that is.  It doesn't feel like a hundred years ago, no way, LOL, but it actually seems like a different era of history.  However, "21st Century" technology did sort of begin in the eighties, and the early 21st mindset began in the sixties really.

How much closer to the '00s overall would you say the '90s are and how relatively distant from the '80s?  I would say this:

The halfway points for '80s/'00s similarity in the nineties are:

Technology: 1997 or 1998 (basically, when the Net took over)
Music: 1992
Television: 1997 ('90s TV really was a lot more like '80s TV IMO, except for censorship)
Fashion: 1993
World Events: 1995

I guess I might say the "world" of the Nineties (well, up to 1996 or so) was more like that of the '80s, but the concept of cool/style was much more like the '00s, even if generally less bubblegum and frothy.  Even to the point that 1993 is more like 2006 than 1988.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/26/06 at 12:05 pm

I think of the '80s as the very beginning of the digital age because by then computers were used extensively in an institutional background and were already an important economic backbone, and had reached everyday people's lives in certain ways (calculators, video games, etc.), but they had not yet spread so much into personal lives like they did in the '90s-heavily.

The '00s are not really the "New Nineties." I think they share some similarities in having a very disunified, hodge-podge feeling with lots of constant trend changing. But it's really more the big-money, seriously excessive/conspicuous consumption of the '80s imposed over '90s cultural forms (alt rock, rap), the political and economic uncertainty, the "cold" tech feeling as opposed to the "warm" tech feeling along with a good dose of modernism a la the '60s or '80s, and the overall schmaltzy corniness taking itself very seriously, along with lots of schlock and little cultural inspiration, that makes the '00s what they are. The '90s were basically made by a very thoughtful/PC atmosphere (backlash against the '80s), a more casual dress sense and style sense, lots of high artistry or whatever you could call it bleeding into culture, slower corporate advance, a good dose of ignorance, a family-oriented culture, and underlying anxiety (Columbine, etc.) The "New Nineties" is a term I've seen for the '00s, but I think they're really more like the 1980s would've been if they'd happened after the 1990s, if that makes any sense.

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/26/06 at 1:57 pm

No one probably would back me up on this, but the 90's were more like The New 80's. I wasn't really around in the 80's to tell, but as far as music, yeah. I remember walking through K-Mart and Rose's and hear "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go".

As for the 00's, the 90's are so far away. The distance from the 90's and the 00's would probably be an imaginary line running from New York to Phoenix.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/26/06 at 6:21 pm

No.

Check for new replies or respond here...