inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Do We Think Will Change Culturally About the '10s After '09?

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/26/06 at 11:16 pm

-Increased corporate backlash; lots of "workers of the world" and proletariat stuff against the generally materialistic '00s culture due to sheeshty economy.
-Revolt against iTunes digital music service.
-Restrictions placed on online music downloading.
-Backlash against the Williamsburg hipster culture.
-End of glam rap.

New Beginnings:

-Possible combination of singer-songwriter "sensitive" rock with maybe some grunge and '80s-'90s alt rock, a la the Pixies, and grass roots production.
-Revival of interest in 1950s-1960s rock as influence on contemporary culture.
-Hip-hop will become more focused on serious themes and less popular in the mainstream.
-Revival of interest in cheesy ballads and "diva" soul singers.
-Definite revival of interest in singer-songwriters, except this time they might be including more electronica and soul in their work, though many will still be folky or piano-based.
-I think a revival of interest in "anti-Y" classic rock culture, perhaps combining grunge and '60s-'70s prog rock.
-Revival of the sitcom, decline in interest in reality TV, crime process shows, and primetime soaps.

Subject: Re: What Do We Think Will Change Culturally About the '10s After '09?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 12:32 am

Alternative Hip Hop (becomes a standard by 2015, boom years 2012-2014)
Fall of Emo
Obliteration of any numetal still left
TV merges with Internet, people able to post videos to public channels.  Reality dies as a result.
Indie rock of the '90s and '00s becomes mainstream (well, moreso anyway)
Increase of synth-rock
Democratic leadership
Death of the CD

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/27/06 at 12:39 am

Alternative Hip Hop (becomes a standard by 2015, boom years 2012-2014)
Fall of Emo
Obliteration of any numetal still left
TV merges with Internet, people able to post videos to public channels.  Reality dies as a result.
Indie rock of the '90s and '00s becomes mainstream (well, moreso anyway)
Increase of synth-rock
Democratic leadership
Death of the CD

I don't think the CD will die that soon, the way it's sold will probably just change. That, and if restrictions are placed on downloading music, they'll probably become more popular. Also, I don't think TV will quite merge with the internet yet, but probably people will be more able to hook up their computers to TV and surf public video channels via their TV by an alternative cable system. The TV networks wouldn't allow the posting of public videos yet unless it'll put enough money in their coffers.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 12:40 am

Yeah, maybe CDs will always be a "second format" ... I'm surprised the MiniDisc didn't catch on.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/27/06 at 12:44 am

They'll probably be a second storage format that you get free when you go to some sort of parlor to get your music downloaded. They'll be like backup with cover art. I think the merging of TV and computers will come slowly in the early 2010s with alternative extra channels you can get through your computer than hook to your TV, and then the major TV networks will catch on and start getting interests in the internet "channel" market.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/27/06 at 10:53 am

IMO you guys are dead on about what the 10's holds for us. I really believe that reality t.v will be dead by 2010. If not I'll move to the deepest darkest corner of the earth and bury my head in the dirt until it does.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/28/06 at 5:50 pm

Bumping this thread, I'd be curious to see more of people's predictions.

Check for new replies or respond here...