inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Symbols of the '00s

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/26/06 at 11:32 pm

What to you symbolizes the '00s?

I'm going to say "grills", the metal grids for teeth popularized by Nelly's song. To me, they are the epitome of bling culture. I'm also going to put the iPod as another '00s symbol: it is modernistic, white, spotless, isolating, a materialistic status symbol, and redolent of youth-it is also highly important to people despite its ultimate insignificance.

Subject: Re: Symbols of the '00s

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 12:33 am

Definitely both of those.  Especially the Ipod; nothing screams 2004 more than those things.

Subject: Re: Symbols of the '00s

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/27/06 at 12:36 am

Definitely both of those.  Especially the Ipod; nothing screams 2004 more than those things.

I think the iPod, the cell phone, and the blog are going to end up the three defining symbols of our generation, the way MTV, shopping malls, and video arcades utterly defined Generation X.  I was in Manhattan today, which is a very '00s place, and I'm sick of the constant iPod advertisements. They're good within certain boundaries, but too much is like living in your own little world.

Check for new replies or respond here...