inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will Blogs/Myspace As We Know Them End?

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/27/06 at 9:00 pm

I've heard some predictions that blogs/Myspace as we know them will end by the 2010s, becoming increasingly commercial moneymaking ventures and thereby decreasing in popularity. I do think Myspace is fairly faddish and once alot of people grow out of their teens/20s phase they'll give up on it, and Generation Z won't take onto it as much in the 2010s.

Subject: Re: Will Blogs/Myspace As We Know Them End?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/27/06 at 9:09 pm

I've heard some predictions that blogs/Myspace as we know them will end by the 2010s, becoming increasingly commercial moneymaking ventures and thereby decreasing in popularity. I do think Myspace is fairly faddish and once alot of people grow out of their teens/20s phase they'll give up on it, and Generation Z won't take onto it as much in the 2010s.

I have a Myspace, but I use it primarily for seeing what people I went to H.S. with are doing now.

I do have a Livejournal that I update very regularly.  I like it because I've met a lot of really cool people on it and I've met a lot of people with the same interests that I have, so we can "bond" in a way.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/27/06 at 9:10 pm

I have a Myspace, but I use it primarily for seeing what people I went to H.S. with are doing now.

I do have a Livejournal that I update very regularly.  I like it because I've met a lot of really cool people on it and I've met a lot of people with the same interests that I have, so we can "bond" in a way.

I refuse to have a Myspace, don't ask me why. I know so many people who are addicted to it, I guess. I just can't remember to update an online journal, though I have an opendiary that I update pretty rarely now...a few months ago I was definitely keeping it up more.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 9:14 pm

My band has a MySpace, and I have a personal MySpace too.  I doubt it will go away anytime soon.

Blog certainly won't either, but what's the fuss about them?  Anybody can make a web journal; there's nothing especially technological about it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/27/06 at 9:19 pm

My band has a MySpace, and I have a personal MySpace too.   I doubt it will go away anytime soon.

Blog certainly won't either, but what's the fuss about them?  Anybody can make a web journal; there's nothing especially technological about it.

I don't know if MySpace will go away anytime soon. However, I'm guessing the next generation will find some new online communication outlet in the 2010s, things like that are very faddish.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 9:19 pm

I don't know if MySpace will go away anytime soon. However, I'm guessing the next generation will find some new online communication outlet in the 2010s, things like that are very faddish.

Well, I think weblogs will always exist, but the "Blogging" trend will certainly fizzle out.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/27/06 at 11:16 pm

Not anytime soon, eventually though.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/27/06 at 11:17 pm

Myspace is very overrated.....it runs slow, seems like it is always down. I do have one...but I am not obsessed with it or anything...I use it mainly to search for people from my past.

Written By: whistledog on 02/27/06 at 11:19 pm

I have a MySpace too.  I don't really blog there.  I mainly just like to mess around with the look of my profile, and to keep in touch with folks whom I met on other forums that I no longer belong to

Written By: rich1981 on 02/27/06 at 11:26 pm

Probably not for a long while, and even then many people have the need to log their daily ventures somewhere, but not always publicly, so maybe private or group-only blogs will remain.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/06 at 1:10 am

Myspace seems somewhat like a fad but with as many members as it has I dont think it'll die out too soon although it could happen. I have an account on myspace too but I dont frequent the site(I dont think I've even been in about a month ;D)

Written By: whistledog on 02/28/06 at 1:15 am

MySpace will be around for a while.  Apparently, ever since Late Night talk show host Carson Daly got a MySpace profile, and has talked about it on his show (he wants to get over a billion friends), MySpace memberships have been on the rise

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 02/28/06 at 2:08 am

MySpace really doesn't excite me. Some blogs are kinda cool, but the ones where people are honestly just writing it as if it were a diary, well, those would make me feel kinda voyeuristic to read. The closest I have to any of that is facebook, which I do use regularly.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/28/06 at 3:26 am

I have a myspace as well, but I never really use it or update it. I do go to that site sometimes to look up people that I haven't seen a while, it's nice to see what they're doing now. Other than that I don't care a whole lot about it.

Written By: Mephistopheles on 02/28/06 at 7:08 am

I feel like i'm the only one who does not have a myspace page.  :-X

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/28/06 at 9:00 am

I have one, hasn't been updated yet...  ::)  ;D

Written By: KKay on 02/28/06 at 9:02 am

The sun will come up tomorrow. 
I don't really like the idea of people meeting people online. If you can't talk to someone in person, should't you work on taht before you seek people out?
No oneis ever what they seem online anyway.

It's ok for bands, businesses ..

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/28/06 at 10:29 am

I have one, hasn't been updated yet...  ::)  ;D

ya Jamie...what are ya waiting for? ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/28/06 at 12:22 pm

I think Myspace will probably be around for awhile, I'm guessing at least another 10 years, but its popularity will die down within 3 or 4.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/06 at 12:43 pm

I think Myspace will probably be around for awhile, I'm guessing at least another 10 years, but its popularity will die down within 3 or 4.

Yeah like I said with all the members that Myspace has it wount just suddenly die but it's popularity may very well start to die down soon.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/28/06 at 5:31 pm

Yeah like I said with all the members that Myspace has it wount just suddenly die but it's popularity may very well start to die down soon.

Blogging and online things can be very, very faddish. I remember in 2003-2004 Livejournal was hotter than Myspace, now it seems like Myspace and the Facebook have become hotter. I'm guessing Myspace will become alot less hot by 2008 at the earliest, 2010 at the latest...it'll always be around but there will be less Myspace addictions and teens posting pictures of themselves in their underwear and throwing up at house parties. My school actually had a notice sent home telling parents to put their computers in a public place so that you see when your child is putting pictures of themselves vomiting on the internet.

Subject: Myspace\tribe

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/01/06 at 12:06 am

Personally I think it will go back into net obscurity in the next 1 1\2 to 2 years. It's only a new hot fad that will quickly evaporate when it'll hit a saturation point and the thrill of "collecting" friends bores them.

I have a Myspace profile simply because everyone else does. But I've belong to a classier joint for the past few years called Tribe.net. It has all the features of MySpace but is more centered on the forums (tribes) and is a lot cleaner interface.

http://www.myspace.com/56682588

Oh, speaking of "collecting friends", if you're a member and would like to add me to your tally, then feel free to ask!

Subject: Re: Myspace\tribe

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/01/06 at 5:00 am

Personally I think it will go back into net obscurity in the next 1 1\2 to 2 years. It's only a new hot fad that will quickly evaporate when it'll hit a saturation point and the thrill of "collecting" friends bores them.

I have a Myspace profile simply because everyone else does. But I've belong to a classier joint for the past few years called Tribe.net. It has all the features of MySpace but is more centered on the forums (tribes) and is a lot cleaner interface.

http://www.myspace.com/56682588

Oh, speaking of "collecting friends", if you're a member and would like to add me to your tally, then feel free to ask!

Yeah, I totally agree with this. It'll get pretty boring after awhile/everybody will start updating theirs. Abandoning websites is infectious.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/28/06 at 2:00 am

I wanted to add that I never understood how Blogs became successful for the common person. Outside of the common stalker, who really has the time to religiously read someone else's ramblings?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/28/06 at 11:06 am

The problem is if everybody's talking, there's nobody to listen. There's no Yourspace in Myspace!

I have a Livejournal, but it's dead. I lost interest. I swore up and down when I started my fourth online diary that I was going to keep it going. I did for about, oh, eight months. The processs is too boring to sustain itself. No one else was reading the thing. Well, a few were. )One woman, a friend of a friend I had met, must have googled me and found her name. She got so mad about what I wrote, she complained to the Livejournal adiminstrators. They scolded me, saying I wasn't allowed to use last names. I wrote back, "F-U, it's MY journal, I'll write it MY way! You gotta a problem, I'll go back to a spiral-bound notebook!" Never heard back from them. I did make the edit, I changed the broad's last name from "Silverstein" to "Silverstern."
;D

The only "blog" I use now is for posting the playlists for my radio program.

In general, I'd rather spend my online time conversing with all you nice people at inthe00s!
::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/28/06 at 12:13 pm

ya Jamie...what are ya waiting for? ;D

Don't know.  ;D

Written By: Apricot on 05/28/06 at 2:30 pm

I wanted to add that I never understood how Blogs became successful for the common person. Outside of the common stalker, who really has the time to religiously read someone else's ramblings?

*shyly raises hand*

I get about 2-3 hours online a night, usually.. instead of TV, I relax online.. I read about all my friends lives, know how they're doing, what's up with them, ya know.

About the topic here... I like the idea of a blog, I don't think it'll die. But the MySpace fad will.. but it's gonna be here for a while.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/28/06 at 2:44 pm

*shyly raises hand*

I get about 2-3 hours online a night, usually.. instead of TV, I relax online.. I read about all my friends lives, know how they're doing, what's up with them, ya know.

About the topic here... I like the idea of a blog, I don't think it'll die. But the MySpace fad will.. but it's gonna be here for a while.

I think the MySpace fad peaked in the winter of '05...it's already declined a little bit, I think. I heard more about it then.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/28/06 at 2:58 pm

Have one (Xanga). It's only used now as a dumping ground for all sorts of crap such as quizzes, tests, questionaires, surveys etc that I've taken over the past. I'm not the blogging sort of person, so I guess that is why I gave it up.

I dount blogging will end. It seems like a good place to get your ideas or thoughts on things across. Maybe MySpace will die away sometime. But then again, maybe not?

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/28/06 at 4:40 pm

*shyly raises hand*

At least you have provided a reason of their popularity. As for myspace I have always thought of it as a fad simply by the amount of hype it's recieved. 

Written By: Apricot on 05/28/06 at 8:02 pm

I think the MySpace fad peaked in the winter of '05...it's already declined a little bit, I think. I heard more about it then.

I'm just hearing about it mostly this year.. I knew about it last year, but this is the real time of popularity.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/28/06 at 8:42 pm

I'm just hearing about it mostly this year.. I knew about it last year, but this is the real time of popularity.

Yeah it's showing no signs of declining atm. I mainly use it to get in contact with people, but haven't checked mine for probably a couple of weeks...

Written By: Kyle23 on 06/08/09 at 8:37 am

It is still here and I have a feeling that MySpace is still going to exist, but in a different form.  It will turn into more of a business-MSN like site with music, movies, TV shows, etc.  The social networking trend will die, but not the traffic.  Facebook will still exist well into the 2010s since Gen X and Gen Y are really digging the site.

Written By: DuncanMcA on 06/08/09 at 11:13 am

Myspace is starting its decline now, while Facebook is still growing, they crossed over in terms of usage stats in about the summer of last year.

The bad news is that since then Facebook has become more like Myspace, more cluttered with pointless aps  :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/09 at 2:09 pm

I don't like MySpace anymore.  Pages with large pictures makes my computer lag, sometimes freezing up.  Sometimes when I am searching google for something, and surf into someone's MySpace page, they have all these animated GIFs and banners and pictures and music that auto loads.  It's so bad, that I have to hard boot my computer just cause it's quicker than waiting for the page to load, so I can back out of it and go somewhere else.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/08/09 at 11:13 pm

I don't like MySpace anymore.  Pages with large pictures makes my computer lag, sometimes freezing up.  Sometimes when I am searching google for something, and surf into someone's MySpace page, they have all these animated GIFs and banners and pictures and music that auto loads.  It's so bad, that I have to hard boot my computer just cause it's quicker than waiting for the page to load, so I can back out of it and go somewhere else.

I agree...I only go onto Myspace now to basically check my messages..I am at Facebook most of the time.

Written By: Gis on 06/09/09 at 2:51 am

I agree...I only go onto Myspace now to basically check my messages..I am at Facebook most of the time.
Me too, I can't remember the last time I went on there.......still good for checking out bands though.

Written By: Kyle23 on 06/09/09 at 8:03 am

Me too, I can't remember the last time I went on there.......still good for checking out bands though.

It is great for listening to music...it is the only place online that I can listen to a CD for free.  I haven't bought a CD in a  year thanks to MySpace.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/09/09 at 8:18 am

I don't think Myspace is going to end anytime soon.  Although personally I go through periodical burnouts.  Thankfully I still have the capacity to read a book.

Written By: Samwise on 06/09/09 at 8:45 am

As long as there's an internet, there's going to be some form of communication/networking. I don't know if what we call "blogging" will still be wildly popular, anymore than 90's-style personal web pages are still big, but there will always be something similar. As for MySpace, I think it's already jumped the shark. That's kind of to be expected. The major websites will rise and fall, and they'll be replaced by new ones. It's a cycle.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/09 at 11:45 pm

Yeah, I HATE that!  It turns me off when any artist hits you with music or animation as soon as you open the page...even if the music/art is good, I still want to choose when I'll hear it or see it.  Anyway, MySpace seems to have that option as one of their standards.  If MySpace goes the way of Friendster, I won't complain!
::)

Written By: 80sfan on 06/10/09 at 12:57 am

I love Facebook!  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...