inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sheryl Crow has breast cancer

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/28/06 at 11:50 am

Sheryl Crow Treated for Breast Cancer

Singer Had 'Minimally Invasive' Surgery By Miranda Hitti
WebMD Medical News  Reviewed By Louise Chang, MD
on Monday, February 27, 2006 

More From WebMD

Breast Cancer: Fighting for a Cure

Surviving a Mammogram 

Find the Right Breast Cancer Treatment For You

Feb. 27, 2006 -- Singer Sheryl Crow is being treated for breast cancer.

Crow underwent "successful minimally invasive surgery for breast cancer" on Feb. 22, states the singer's web site. "Her doctors confirm her prognosis as excellent and she will receive radiation treatment as a precaution," the site states.

The web site doesn't give the details of Crow's cancer or surgery.

Breast cancer is the most common cancer among U.S. women, except for nonmelanoma skin cancers. Breast cancer is also the No. 2 cause of cancer deaths for U.S. women, behind lung cancer. But breast cancer survival has been improving, according to the American Cancer Society.

Crow's Statement

On her web site, Crow mentions that there are more than two million breast cancer survivors in the U.S.

"We are a testament to the importance of early detection and new treatments," Crow states. "I encourage women everywhere to advocate for themselves and for their future -- see your doctor and be proactive about your health."

Crow is 44 years old. The American Cancer Society recommends annual mammograms for all average-risk women age 40 and older. Crow's web site doesn't mention how her cancer was detected.

The "minimally invasive" surgery that Crow got was likely lumpectomy, also called breast-conserving surgery. In that procedure, doctors remove only the breast lump and a small amount of surrounding tissue, leaving the rest of the breast intact.

The rest of the article is here:  http://www.webmd.com/content/article/119/113261

Subject: Re: Sheryl Crow has breast cancer

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/28/06 at 1:19 pm

that's a very scary thing...my mom, grandma, and aunt all had breast cancer...and they are all survivors. I wish Sheryl Crow the best in her fight of the disease.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/28/06 at 6:37 pm

I wish Sheryl the best of luck.

Written By: whistledog on 03/01/06 at 12:26 pm

Pop singers Kylie Minogue and Anastacia both had it and beat it.  I wish Sheryl Crow the best of luck

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/01/06 at 6:26 pm

Let's hope Sheryl recovers, especially in light of her ex-boyfriend Lance Armstrong's past cancer scare.

Written By: Gis on 03/02/06 at 9:25 am

that's a very scary thing...my mom, grandma, and aunt all had breast cancer...and they are all survivors. I wish Sheryl Crow the best in her fight of the disease.
Forgive me if this is being incredibly nosy, but do you have to go for screening because of your close female relatives having all been diagnosed ? I know in the U.K they will screen daughters from a fairly young age if the mother and grandmother have had breast cancer.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/02/06 at 8:16 pm

Forgive me if this is being incredibly nosy, but do you have to go for screening because of your close female relatives having all been diagnosed ? I know in the U.K they will screen daughters from a fairly young age if the mother and grandmother have had breast cancer.

well they told my mom that we (my 2 sisters and I) should get mamograms earlier than usual, due to the fact that it really runs in our family.  They said that we should not wait any later than like age 35 or so....and I am almost 30...so I should actually start getting them sooner than later.

Written By: Gis on 03/03/06 at 4:24 am

well they told my mom that we (my 2 sisters and I) should get mamograms earlier than usual, due to the fact that it really runs in our family.  They said that we should not wait any later than like age 35 or so....and I am almost 30...so I should actually start getting them sooner than later.
That sounds the same as the U.K. It's kind of interesting how some of our medical treaments are the same and others vary wildly.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/03/06 at 2:36 pm

Here in the states they say have mammograms starting at 50, BUT, 2 weeks ago we had a service for a close friend who had her first brush with this at 26 years old.  Many women die of it before the age of 50, so I wonder who is setting these guidelines. I know of at least 3 other women who died of this before the age of 50.  I think they have a genetic marker they can test for, if so it is in the best interests of every women to have that test.  It is very hard, and so sad to see what cancer, any cancer, does.

Check for new replies or respond here...