inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cheesiest Band/Artist of the '00s

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/28/06 at 5:19 pm

They're probably not the worst, but I'm gonna have to go with Black Eyed Peas for cheesiest.  They are just sooo gimmicky; their music will be more embarassing in 2015 than Human League was in 1995.  ;D

Subject: Re: Cheesiest Band/Artist of the '00s

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/28/06 at 5:24 pm

I'm caught between 50 Cent and the Black Eyed Peas. The Black Eyed Peas' "My Humps" will, you are correct, be seen as a symbol of this decade's cheesiness and be embarassing beyond belief by 2011 at the latest.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/28/06 at 6:33 pm

Ashlee Simpson

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/28/06 at 6:44 pm

Black Eyed Peas

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/28/06 at 6:45 pm

Hilary Duff.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/06 at 7:05 pm

I'd say any of this decade's super cheesy manufactured pop stars. I think its gonna look awful cheesy 10 years from now that every star on a disney channel show was a singer :D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/28/06 at 7:06 pm

I'd say any of this decade's super cheesy manufactured pop stars. I think its gonna look awful cheesy 10 years from now that every star on a disney channel show was a singer :D

I'm glad nobody's said Linkin Park or System of a Down.  I like both of those bands  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/06 at 7:15 pm

I'm glad nobody's said Linkin Park or System of a Down.  I like both of those bands  ;D

Yeah I like them both two. Even though I think they may be slightly cheesy.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/28/06 at 7:17 pm

Yeah I like them both two. Even though I think they may be slightly cheesy.

Well, System of a Down are definitely cheesy, in a good way. Linkin Park, maybe just a tiny bit (see my avatar, that's Mike Shinoda in an emo pose)

Written By: gmann on 03/01/06 at 2:29 pm

The Black Eyed Peas' "My Humps" will, you are correct, be seen as a symbol of this decade's cheesiness and be embarassing beyond belief by 2011 at the latest.

You mean to tell me it's not cheesy *now*?  :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/01/06 at 5:29 pm

You mean to tell me it's not cheesy *now*?  :)

Yes, but people like it. It's cheese that hasn't spoiled yet. I look at a decade like cheese. When it spoils, all the cheesiness about it turns sour. The decade after the decade following it, the rot is so tasty as to turn to blue cheese.

Written By: whistledog on 03/01/06 at 5:39 pm

The ultimate Cheesy act ... The Fast Food Rockers

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000TCNC4.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/01/06 at 6:13 pm

Ricky Martin

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/01/06 at 6:14 pm

Ricky Martin

Ricky Martin's heyday was in 1998-1999.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/01/06 at 6:19 pm

Yes, but people like it. It's cheese that hasn't spoiled yet. I look at a decade like cheese. When it spoils, all the cheesiness about it turns sour. The decade after the decade following it, the rot is so tasty as to turn to blue cheese.

Great comparison ;D and I agree. It's defidently chessey now but it wont be percieved as being so until the 10's

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/01/06 at 7:22 pm

Great comparison ;D and I agree. It's defidently chessey now but it wont be percieved as being so until the 10's

However, some cheeses are so nasty they never age well (i.e. Black Eyed Peas)  ;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/01/06 at 8:06 pm

I'm glad P.O.D. nor No Doubt/Gwen Stefani are not on the list...

BTW P.O.D. has new songs out...haven't heard those songs yet, but IMO P.O.D. never disappoint their fans.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/02/06 at 8:29 pm

However, some cheeses are so nasty they never age well (i.e. Black Eyed Peas)  ;D
Hey, Black Eyed Peas have some decent songs. To judge a band on one song, like "My Humps", I don't understand. I have their 'Elephunk' CD which is kinda cool, and their song 'Where Is the Love' is awesome.....

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/02/06 at 9:19 pm

^Well, to be fair "My Humps" is their worst song.  "Where Is The Love" is pretty good though. :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/02/06 at 9:23 pm

There's no option for "all of the above"?

If forced to pick just one, I'd have to go with "other" and say Rachel Stevens or Girls Aloud.

Written By: Schillingfan on 03/02/06 at 11:50 pm

Lindsay Lohan, that Father to Daughter (whatever it's called) song was so horrible!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/03/06 at 12:49 am

Lindsay Lohan, that Father to Daughter (whatever it's called) song was so horrible!

Ditto!  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/03/06 at 12:57 am

Rumors is even worse, talk about a horrible voice.

Written By: Schillingfan on 03/03/06 at 7:36 pm

Rumors is even worse, talk about a horrible voice.

Yep!  :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/03/06 at 8:14 pm

I think celebs like Paris Hilton, Hilary Duff, and Lindsay Lohan releasing CDs and that a rap song by a group of strippers became a top 10 hit will be seen as a demonstration of the '00s' cheesiness and stupidity in the '10s.

Written By: Electric Youth on 03/04/06 at 1:30 pm

Ashley Tisdale  :P  ::)  :-can't sing...

Written By: Schillingfan on 03/04/06 at 2:45 pm

I think celebs like Paris Hilton, Hilary Duff, and Lindsay Lohan releasing CDs and that a rap song by a group of strippers became a top 10 hit will be seen as a demonstration of the '00s' cheesiness and stupidity in the '10s.

A rap song knocked James Blunt off the no.1 spot on the iTunes top 10 downloads list! I hope James can work his way up to the top downloads spot again!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/04/06 at 2:47 pm

A rap song knocked James Blunt off the no.1 spot on the iTunes top 10 downloads list! I hope James can work his way up to the top downloads spot again!
Over here in the UK, James Blunt's You're Beautiful has been like a yo-yo in the charts, so there is always hope.

Written By: AU300ModR on 03/08/06 at 8:46 am

i would have to say that good ol' fiddy would be the cheesiest simply b/c he doesn't even sing all he does is talk. i mean seriously wtf. i talk all the time but i don't have a record deal with anybody and making millions of dollars, but maybe its b/c he got shot nine times that makes him so special.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/09/06 at 2:22 am

How about Hoobastank? Every time I hear "The Reason", I feel like barfing....

Written By: Apricot on 03/09/06 at 2:44 pm

People will kill themselves after realizing they once liked "My Humps".. either that, or they'll remember it fondly.

Pop music of this decade has no staying power, because most radio listeners are teens and teens have the attention span of a retarded chimp on crack.

I hate to say it, but there's yet to be a phenomenal song or musician coming from this decade.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/09/06 at 3:24 pm

I hate to say it, but there's yet to be a phenomenal song or musician coming from this decade.

I agree.  That's why people still love the '90s so much; at least they had Nirvana.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/09/06 at 3:34 pm

Nirvana now is seen by most hipster and emo teens as passe and non-stylish...it's something most people born in the late eighties to about 1990 loved when they were younger, until 2002-2003 or so, but now wearing a Kurt Cobain t-shirt is only for those who don't care about not being trendy.

I agree about there not yet being any phenomenal songs or artists coming from this decade, it's pretty mediocre music-wise, more than any time in history except for maybe the early '60s. Hopefully, the late '90s-mid '00s will be seen as just an EXTREME lowpoint in pop music, not a death.

Written By: Apricot on 03/09/06 at 4:18 pm

I agree.  That's why people still love the '90s so much; at least they had Nirvana.

Nirvana wasn't anything special, honestly, I don't think.

The 90s didn't have anything revolutionary either, really... the music was just better all around. A lot of Alt. Rock and whatnot... bands like Third Eye Blind... not very interesting or music-changing, but they were at least good.

The 2000s is a good time if you're into generic R&B and a bit of teenage pop... this decade revolves around teenage listeners, who really dominate radio listening and CD sales, I suppose.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/09/06 at 4:20 pm

Nirvana wasn't anything special, honestly, I don't think.

The 90s didn't have anything revolutionary either, really... the music was just better all around. A lot of Alt. Rock and whatnot... bands like Third Eye Blind... not very interesting or music-changing, but they were at least good.

The 2000s is a good time if you're into generic R&B and a bit of teenage pop... this decade revolves around teenage listeners, who really dominate radio listening and CD sales, I suppose.

And just supplanted boomers as the largest record-buying group.

The '90s had Liz Phair, Tori Amos, and some of the Pixies' and R.E.M's best work.

Written By: Apricot on 03/09/06 at 4:29 pm

The '90s had Liz Phair, Tori Amos, and some of the Pixies' and R.E.M's best work.

Indeed, R.E.M. were one of the best things about the 90s for me. I just got into The Pixies work recently.. their best stuff was indeed in the 90s.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/09/06 at 9:51 pm

What stinks is that bands like Toadies aren't around anymore...some really cool music came out in the '90s (Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Bush, No Doubt, Spin Doctors, Live)..this is the era of slicked-up ear candy with very few good bands or artists out there..the only band of this era I really listen to is P.O.D. .

Check for new replies or respond here...