inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will TRL ever die?

Written By: sonikuu on 03/01/06 at 2:55 pm

Will TRL ever die?  It's been the cornerstone of MTV's daily progamming since 1999 and it's popularity is still widespread, despite it being absolutely horrible.  Will TRL ever die or is it going to stick around for years to come?  I personally am going with option 4.  I fear we may be stuck with it for years to come.

EDIT: Fixed that terrible misspelling.

Subject: Re: Will TLR ever die?

Written By: gmann on 03/01/06 at 3:02 pm

Will TLR ever die?  It's been the cornerstone of MTV's daily progamming since 1999 and it's popularity is still widespread, despite it being absolutely horrible.  Will TRL ever die or is it going to stick around for years to come?  I personally am going with option 4.  I fear we may be stuck with it for years to come.

It's not going anywhere anytime soon. As long as Carson Daley is up to the task and has hordes of adoring 14-year old fans, we're stuck with TRL. Where's Colin Quinn when you need him?

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/01/06 at 3:07 pm

I watch it sometimes, but I agree it is a pretty bad show. They do too much talking with the audience and promoting of whatever artist comes there for the show, and end up shortening most of the videos to fit within the time.

Written By: Daveyd989 on 03/01/06 at 3:10 pm

It's not going anywhere anytime soon. As long as Carson Daley is up to the task and has hordes of adoring 14-year old fans, we're stuck with TRL. Where's Colin Quinn when you need him?

Carson left the show a while a go now u have terrible v-jays like LaLa or Damiem hosting what already is a crappy show.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 03/01/06 at 3:11 pm

TRL was cool in 1998 and 1999 i don't listen to boybands but TRL went south with the new music in 00's TRL was in is prime in 1998-1999 era

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/01/06 at 4:53 pm

I watch it sometimes, but I agree it is a pretty bad show. They do too much talking with the audience and promoting of whatever artist comes there for the show, and end up shortening most of the videos to fit within the time.

I know what mean. I used to watch trl all the time when I was yonger and its so stupid the way they shorten the video's. Also they sometimes cut into the video to let one of the people in the audience do a "shout out". It's just its really stupid. :P

Written By: Daveyd989 on 03/01/06 at 4:58 pm

yea it's terrible who wants to listen to 10 seconds of a song.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/01/06 at 5:02 pm

yea it's terrible who wants to listen to 10 seconds of a song.

Yeah nowadays the song is bad enough on its own without hearing teenage girls scream over it ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/01/06 at 5:03 pm

I know what mean. I used to watch trl all the time when I was yonger and its so stupid the way they shorten the video's. Also they sometimes cut into the video to let one of the people in the audience do a "shout out". It's just its really stupid. :P

They keep cutting to some stupid girls in the audience screaming, it's so stupid.

Written By: whistledog on 03/01/06 at 5:40 pm

I never saw TRL (i don't get MTV) but I do enjoy Carson's late night talk show on NBC.  I watch it whenever I can :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/01/06 at 6:05 pm

No, it'll be like the Ed Sullivan Show.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/01/06 at 6:15 pm

I vote: What is TLR/TRL/?  ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/01/06 at 7:49 pm

I used to watch TRL during the NSYNC/BSB/Britney/Xtina heyday, but now I wouldn't be caught dead watching that crap.  They used to show the whole video, but now you're lucky if you get the first 20 seconds. 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/02/06 at 12:56 am

I used to watch TRL during the NSYNC/BSB/Britney/Xtina heyday, but now I wouldn't be caught dead watching that crap.  They used to show the whole video, but now you're lucky if you get the first 20 seconds. 

Yeah I watched it around the same time and at least they did show the video back then. I honestly dont think its nearly as popular as it was during the height of the boy band era.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/02/06 at 1:57 am

Yeah I watched it around the same time and at least they did show the video back then. I honestly dont think its nearly as popular as it was during the height of the boy band era.

I think it was popular mostly because of the boy band era! ;)

I never really watched it, except in passing, but even if there'd been videos I wanted to see, I would've been annoyed by -- as others mentioned -- the interruptions. ;D

BTW, I do think when people look back at it later on, TRL will be a "totally 1999" thing. Heck, it is now! I can't see it going much past 2009-ish, especially if there's another pop culture shift around the late '00s/early 2010s, which I have a feeling there will be.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/02/06 at 10:15 am

Soon hopefilly.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/16/08 at 1:45 pm

TRL will be ending this November apparently, though it's been unofficially dead for a long time already. So the people who picked 2008-09 were correct lol.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7619575.stm

Written By: Midas on 09/16/08 at 3:28 pm

They should've renamed the show PRL (Partial Request Live) some time ago, as I don't think they even show full vids anymore! :D 

Written By: Brian06 on 09/16/08 at 3:46 pm

They should've renamed the show PRL (Partial Request Live) some time ago, as I don't think they even show full vids anymore! :D 

Yeah I know you're lucky to see over 10 seconds of a video on TRL, last time I watched it all I saw was a bunch of annoying screaming preppy kids, not that it matters everybody watches videos online now though a real countdown show would have that randomness that you don't really have by just watching videos on demand, oh well.

Written By: tv on 09/16/08 at 6:48 pm

I think TRL hasn;t been relevant since the boy band/teen-pop era 1999-2000. I remember all those boy band fans crowding "times square" all the time .

Anyway tha article was right that Brian posted that TRL needs to take break I mean the concept behind TRL has been stale for so long. I haven;t even watched TRL in 7 years I think.

Written By: woops on 09/16/08 at 6:59 pm

It's sorta replaced by FriggiN Moronic TV, which I only watched for the Ting Tings and Duffy.

Never liked TRL and it's one of the reasons for the downfall for a once great network.

Written By: midnite on 09/16/08 at 7:27 pm

I dont watch TRL. But isn't this the LAST show on MTV that ACTUALLY SHOWS music videos?

Written By: sonikuu on 09/17/08 at 1:43 am

Damn, I never noticed I spelled TRL wrong in this topic title when I first posted.  How embarassing for this topic to be brought back from the graveyard.

On another note, TRL was way past its peak of popularity.  It managed to remain a mainstay of MTV programming and always seemed like it was fairly popular.  I never knew anyone who watched it, but it seemed like it was popular enough to continue airing, having success, and being promoted by MTV.  In retrospect though, TRL, like tv said, hasn't been really relevant since the Teen Pop era ended. 

Written By: Brian06 on 09/17/08 at 10:09 am

I dont watch TRL. But isn't this the LAST show on MTV that ACTUALLY SHOWS music videos?

I think they were still showing them for an hour in the morning for 4 days a week (used to be 3-4 hours a morning), unless they cut that out too.

Subject: Re: Will TRL ever die?

Written By: tv on 11/13/08 at 7:58 pm

I was flipping through the channels today and they are starting to take the set down of TRL in Times Square.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/15/08 at 5:11 pm

It's about time. ;D

I agree with tv and sonikku. I know usually they milk almost anything until it's unprofitable or the next trend forces it out of the mainstream, but I honestly can't believe TRL lasted this long, they totally beat a dead horse on this one. Even for the way the music industry is, that's bad even for them. It was basically something that was only "hot" and really relevant around 1999 that managed to last another 8-9 years way past its peak. And I dont' think it even had a big following like many other longrunning shows (i.e. The Simpsons) do.

Written By: woops on 11/15/08 at 11:08 pm

It's replaced by FriggiN MTV hosted by King of Emo Pete Wentz  ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/15/08 at 11:19 pm

It's replaced by FriggiN MTV hosted by King of Emo Pete Wentz  ::)

Hey bro, don't mean to burst your bubble but if I had a quarter for everytime you called it "moronic tv", I'd be rich as Donald Trump. ;D And even emo isn't really that hot anymore, it probably peaked in 2004-07.

For the record I totally agree with you about the music channels sucking. I have great childhood memories of VH1 in the early '90s (same with Nickelodeon and tons of other networks), it was entertaining and respectable...I agree they basically show trash today...but you don't need to bring it up in every semi-relevant post. That gets tiring,even if I see your point.

Written By: woops on 11/15/08 at 11:29 pm

There's actually a show called "FN MTV" and it appears to be a  replacement for "TRL". Not some snarky remark.

I only watched a few episodes for The  Ting Tings & Duffy during it's trial run.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/15/08 at 11:37 pm

Who the hell cares about MTV when the global economy is nearly in depression, businesses are closing one after another, not to mention we're in two wars, MTV is hardly a concern to most people these days. You can listen or watch anything you want these days on the internet, it is at your fingertips. MTV is a relic of the past.  ::)

Written By: tv on 11/16/08 at 4:38 pm

Hey bro, don't mean to burst your bubble but if I had a quarter for everytime you called it "moronic tv", I'd be rich as Donald Trump. ;D And even emo isn't really that hot anymore, it probably peaked in 2004-07.

For the record I totally agree with you about the music channels sucking. I have great childhood memories of VH1 in the early '90s (same with Nickelodeon and tons of other networks), it was entertaining and respectable...I agree they basically show trash today...but you don't need to bring it up in every semi-relevant post. That gets tiring,even if I see your point.
Ah, there's still some Pop-Emo hanging around albiet by a thread though.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/17/08 at 10:14 am

It's offical, the show ended as of yesterday.

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/17/08 at 1:37 pm

It's like The Simpsons, it will never die!

Written By: woops on 11/17/08 at 3:46 pm

It already got canned

I wonder if Duffy or The Ting Tings were ever on the countdown... Doubt it  :P

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/17/08 at 4:28 pm

Ah, there's still some Pop-Emo hanging around albiet by a thread though.

True yeah, it's not a hot thing anymore, but it's still kinda popular since it's so well established. I guess it's the way hair metal was around 1990.

Who the hell cares about MTV when the global economy is nearly in depression, businesses are closing one after another, not to mention we're in two wars, MTV is hardly a concern to most people these days. You can listen or watch anything you want these days on the internet, it is at your fingertips. MTV is a relic of the past.  ::)

Totally agree. :) There's always been more important things than entertainment, but especially now.

To play devil's advocate though - I think people tend to hang onto MTV's "old school music and video" days for one reason. Nostalgia. Even if it's not profitable or there's no logical need to see videos on tv, people like it because it reminds them of their youth or the first time they were into it back in the day. I still get a nice warm nostalgic feeling when I think of the early 90s VH1, but not so much for the music anymore (I've watched those on youtube and stuff), but since it reminds me of being 10 years old. Sure it WOULD be cool to see some of the "exclusive"stuff like interviews and footage shot at the time (which I only vaguely remember and probably will never see again), but hey it's over and that's life.

But yeah, it does seem pathetic when ten years later people are still whining about it and waiting for MTV to return to its 1984 format and play Michael Jackson videos all day again.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/17/08 at 6:48 pm

If we're lucky it will. :D

Check for new replies or respond here...