inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Post-Grunge here to stay?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/02/06 at 5:57 pm

I pick "I Sure Hope Not"  ;D

Subject: Re: Post-Grunge here to stay?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/02/06 at 5:59 pm

Accidentally voted for "I Hope So." I meant "I Hope Not." I hope things will be influenced by grunge's spirit and music a little, but not the post-grunge crap like Nickelback that's popular now. That's grunge without the spirit.

Written By: sonikuu on 03/02/06 at 6:34 pm

Post-Grunge will certainly be stick around, but will fade with time.  Most of the people I know who like Post-Grunge tend to be people in their 20's and 30's.  As this demographic ages, Post-Grunge will begin to fade away.  It's already mostly disappeared in 2006, with only a few stragglers such as Nickelback sticking around.  Say what you will, Post-Grunge is not the musical force today it was in 1999.  Unfortunately, Nickelback is still very popular.  My bet is that Post-Grunge disappears around the same time Nickelback disappears.  It's not that I hate Post-Grunge (it's average) but it's been around for years and it just needs to die already.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/02/06 at 9:00 pm

If it disappears when Nickelback disappears, it'll disappear around 2009, probably.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/03/06 at 1:17 am

I say "I sure hope not" but as sonikuu said it's not that I hate it, it's just getting stale after so many years. I say it'll fade out in the early 2010's.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/03/06 at 1:18 am

I say "I sure hope not" but as sonikuu said it's not that I hate it, it's just getting stale after so many years. I say it'll fade out in the early 2010's.

I totally agree.

Even Audioslave, it's like man go away.  Even though I wouldn't exactly be thrilled if the Arctic Monkeys popularized minimalist rock, at least they'd get rid of the Pearl Jam knockoffs nobody cares about anymore.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/03/06 at 1:25 am

I sure hope not because everybody will be real sick of them by then.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/03/06 at 6:02 pm

I think the Arctic Monkeys will popularize minimalist rock, it'll be very late '00s, but it'll be gone by the time I'm out of college pretty firmly.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/04/06 at 9:56 am

I don't know much about the current 'musical trends' atm (I had to look up 'Post Grunge' in Wikepedia) but going by the sounds of it, not really my cup of tea. I thing it is still fairly strongly, going on what we hear on the radio. Nickleback, Creed.etc was more an early 2000s thing as well (didn't like either at all). Personally, I hope rock becomes more 'arty' with greater crossing over of genres (though the results are not always good).

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/04/06 at 4:35 pm

Yeah, Creed to me exemplifies how post-grunge ripped off and commercialized grunge starting in the late '90s. Now I think post-grunge is pretty washed up with the exception of Nickelback and maybe Audioslave, Creed is now an embarassment or totally disappeared since emo came up, I forget which.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/04/06 at 5:10 pm

I don't know much about the current 'musical trends' atm (I had to look up 'Post Grunge' in Wikepedia)

Don't feel bad, I can't make heads or tails of it either...

I've heard the likes of Oasis and Smashing Pumpkins referred to as post-grunge... and I like both of them.  I'm not too familiar with 2000's post-grunge though.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/05/06 at 4:35 pm

Not all "post-grunge" is bad. I do, however prefer older post-grunge (Live, Foo Fighters, Bush etc) to newer p-g (Nickelback, etc)

And is P-G here to stay? For a few years at least. Or as long as Nickleback is still around.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 5:21 pm

Bump

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/30/06 at 5:25 pm

Is the only difference between Grunge and post grunge groups was is they were popular before or after Kurt Cobain's death?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 5:26 pm

Is the only difference between Grunge and post grunge groups was is they were popular before or after Kurt Cobain's death?

Pretty much.  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 6:12 pm

I think the Arctic Monkeys will popularize minimalist rock, it'll be very late '00s, but it'll be gone by the time I'm out of college pretty firmly.

Actually, now nobody cares about them. So I seriously doubt this will happen.

Check for new replies or respond here...