inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most Ridiculed decade of the latter 20th century?

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/03/06 at 2:13 am

Now, in 2001, which do you think is the most 'ridiculed' decade? I'm thinking by the media, esp. young people in the GenX and GenY range. I mean, which decade is seen as the most 'dated' etc. I always thought it was the 80s (most negative image), but I think there's a backlash against this, with the popularity of all things 80s. Nonetheless...I still think its the 80s. The 50s...most people don't know much about the 50s, mainly checkered shirts, short hair, stay at home mums baking apple pies, the cold war. I think the 60s have escaped pretty well. The 'hippie' movement is still seen as 'sort of cool', the 70s with a sort of Brady Bunch (early 70s) meets Saturday Night Fever meets ABBA. The 90s weren't really characterised until pretty much lately. Bands like Boyz to Men, the Spice Girls, 'Boy Krazy'  :D, Eternal...cheesy (but oh so danceable) disco tunes...For me it's still the 80s...

Subject: Re: Most Ridiculed decade of the latter 20th century?

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/03/06 at 2:21 am

Now, in 2001, which do you think is the most 'ridiculed' decade? I'm thinking by the media, esp. young people in the GenX and GenY range. I mean, which decade is seen as the most 'dated' etc. I always thought it was the 80s (most negative image), but I think there's a backlash against this, with the popularity of all things 80s. Nonetheless...I still think its the 80s. The 50s...most people don't know much about the 50s, mainly checkered shirts, short hair, stay at home mums baking apple pies, the cold war. I think the 60s have escaped pretty well. The 'hippie' movement is still seen as 'sort of cool', the 70s with a sort of Brady Bunch (early 70s) meets Saturday Night Fever meets ABBA. The 90s weren't really characterised until pretty much lately. Bands like Boyz to Men, the Spice Girls, 'Boy Krazy'  :D, Eternal...cheesy (but oh so danceable) disco tunes...For me it's still the 80s...

I agree it's the '80s. The '80s are always made fun of in the media. The fashion is especially ridiculed.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/03/06 at 10:19 am

I would say the 80's, but the 60's and 70's get made fun of alot too.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/03/06 at 11:02 am

Yeah right now it's still the 80's. Despite 80's nostalgia being all over the place these days it seem the decade still hasn't been able to escape its cheesy atmosphere. Even 17 years later ;D

Written By: gmann on 03/03/06 at 1:09 pm

I've seen much ridiculing of 80s pop culture, but I've always felt the 70s gets the brunt of any backlash. If you go to the Google usenet news archives, the description for alt.culture.us.1970s reads like this: "At least pick a *good* decade to be stuck in."  ;D That's just one example, but there are plenty more out there.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/03/06 at 2:26 pm

The '80s, but '70s is damn close.

As for the decades that get the most worship, the '60s and '90s, easily.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/03/06 at 8:02 pm

The 1960s is the most ridiculed by its detractors because it is the most lionized by the Baby Boom generation.  It is the split between liberal and conservative.  I think the pot-smoking hippies and the narcissistic rock stars get waaaay too much credit for the socio-political gains made in that decade.  To this day aging Boomers who dropped acid and listened to Sgt. Pepper's think they had a hand in civil rights reform and ending the Vietnam war.  Many of the same Boomers went to business school in the 1970s, voted for Reagan, and helped tear down many of the gains made by those who really did fight for social reforms!
::)

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/03/06 at 8:12 pm

The 1960s is the most ridiculed by its detractors because it is the most lionized by the Baby Boom generation.  It is the split between liberal and conservative.  I think the pot-smoking hippies and the narcissistic rock stars get waaaay too much credit for the socio-political gains made in that decade.  To this day aging Boomers who dropped acid and listened to Sgt. Pepper's think they had a hand in civil rights reform and ending the Vietnam war.  Many of the same Boomers went to business school in the 1970s, voted for Reagan, and helped tear down many of the gains made by those who really did fight for social reforms!
::)

The really real yuppies always seemed mostly to be a bit younger, going towards the part of the '50s born after 1952, but alot of boomers did used to be hippieish in the '60s and '70s and then became serious yuppies after going to business school in the '70s and early '80s, and ended up raising the "little yuppies" who populate today's high schools and colleges.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/05/06 at 5:58 am

Just wondering, not only velveteo in particular, but all those who weren't born during that time, where do you get all your info? I mean, do you make assumptions like, 'alot of boomers did used to be hippieish in the '60s and '70s.' Just wondering how many people during the era you've actually spoken to. But then again, we all like to make assumptions, sound like we're clever. After all, that's what this board is for, isn't it?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/05/06 at 7:09 am

Just wondering, not only velveteo in particular, but all those who weren't born during that time, where do you get all your info? I mean, do you make assumptions like, 'alot of boomers did used to be hippieish in the '60s and '70s.' Just wondering how many people during the era you've actually spoken to. But then again, we all like to make assumptions, sound like we're clever. After all, that's what this board is for, isn't it?

My parents are boomers...um....I know lots of them whom I've asked this...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/05/06 at 3:44 pm

Yup :)

I admit, I don't know everything about pop culture, even though sometimes I sure act like it  ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/05/06 at 4:38 pm

The 80s most definately, and parts of the 70s (Disco era)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/05/06 at 6:18 pm

The 80s most definately, and parts of the 70s (Disco era)

I agree.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/05/06 at 6:20 pm

My parents hated the '70s, though it was their prime era. The '70s was probably only so great if you were a "cool person" who could actually get into the discos, etc. They were incredibly cheesy and in bad taste, though it's seemed less so over time. They were the decade when liberation finally hit the mainstream though, so what do you expect? Everybody ran wild.

Check for new replies or respond here...