inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Oscars

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/03/06 at 11:54 am

With the Oscar's on Sunday I got to thinking does anybody really care about award shows anymore? It seems like they used to be extremely popular years ago but there popularity seems to be fading now. I personaly could care less but t.v still makes a big deal out of them(Like E!) What do you guys think?

Subject: Re: The Oscars

Written By: whistledog on 03/03/06 at 12:07 pm

I still enjoy watching the Oscars.  It's always nice to see the expressions on the actors and actresses when they win.  I wonder if Matt Dillon will win an Oscar.  I never ever thought he would get a nomination

Written By: danootaandme on 03/03/06 at 2:30 pm

Can't be bothered anymore  :P

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/03/06 at 5:58 pm

I still watch 'em, I get all into the competition beforehand. I think having Jon Stewart (Liebovitz) as the anchor will raise ratings....I think the whole awards show this year is going to be an affront to the red states, with Brokeback Mountain and Jon Stewart this year...like Hollywood saying they don't give a crap what Wal-Mart shoppers in South Dakota think is moral.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/03/06 at 7:15 pm

Will probally watch it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/03/06 at 7:56 pm

Why should I sit through hours of inane, self-congratulatory, and narcissitic glitterati prancing and crying in gaudy designer finery when I can just pick up the paper the next morning and find out the same information in 30 seconds?

::)

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/03/06 at 8:15 pm

The suspense and to see the expressions on their face. That, and it makes for a fun evening  :) .

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/04/06 at 9:51 am

Why should I sit through hours of inane, self-congratulatory, and narcissitic glitterati prancing and crying in gaudy designer finery when I can just pick up the paper the next morning and find out the same information in 30 seconds?

I agree. I find award shows banal, self-praising, tedious, repetitive...yet I STILL watch them...

Written By: gmann on 03/04/06 at 2:17 pm

Will I watch? It depends on my mood...and whether or not the video rental store has my movie this week.  ;) Awards shows usually bore the hell out of me. I'll probably take Maxwell's suggestion and check out the winners in the morning paper.

If there's anything that annoys me the most about award shows, it's the efforts by some to get the best sound bite in during their speech. It's as if the whole thing is a game of oneupmanship. Sheesh...just say thanks and get out! 

Written By: danootaandme on 03/05/06 at 3:56 pm

I think some want to be there for the visible nipples  ;D

Written By: jaytee on 03/06/06 at 8:30 am

My sentiments exactly  :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/06/06 at 10:24 am

The suspense and to see the expressions on their face. That, and it makes for a fun evening  :) .

;D

It must have blown some of the older voters's minds blown, to see a rap song not only be perform but win too.  ;D

Written By: Gis on 03/06/06 at 12:05 pm

Cracking cheese Gromit !

I can't be bothered to watch but I must confess to devouring the women's mags that come out this week to see all the frocks !

Written By: SpaceHog on 03/06/06 at 12:15 pm

That rap song "its tough out there to be a pimp" shouldnt have been allowed, people should know that prostitution everywhere, except las vegas is illegal

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/06/06 at 4:59 pm

That rap song "its tough out there to be a pimp" shouldnt have been allowed, people should know that prostitution everywhere, except las vegas is illegal

Prostitution isn't legal in Las Vegas; it's only legal in one city in Nevada as long as it's in special brothels.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 5:11 pm

My dad and I had a theory that all the aging grande dame academy members voted for "It's Hard Out Here to be A Pimp"..."Back in my day, in 1943, it was very hard for my pimp...This song shows the difficulties of a pimp in America."

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/06/06 at 5:16 pm

True. 

I'm pleased the low key Nick Parks and Co. won an award for their recent Wallace and Gromit animation, that was just a brilliant piece of work.

Topical film Crash got one too which is good.

Check for new replies or respond here...