inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will Emo become a catch-all term for modern rock?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/04/06 at 12:54 am

Does anyone think the "Emo" term might become like the New Wave term overtime and include bands like The White Stripes, Keane, the Killers, Muse, etc. as well as the punk-influenced power pop bands that currently hold the tag?  I'm sort of thinking it will become a "catch-all" phrase for '00s rock or even the '00s in general in later decades.

Subject: Re: Will Emo become a catch-all term for modern rock?

Written By: Siempre on 03/04/06 at 1:16 am

Oh gosh I hope not.  Emo is very much its own genre.  I would hope that future generations had the taste to distinguish between emo and modern rock in general.  However, I suppose its very possible.  Rather depressing, really.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/04/06 at 2:32 am

I always thought of "Emo" as the whinier side of pop/punk, but kinda its own genre at the same time. Probably the most identifyable band would be Jimmy Eat World (I actually do like a few of their songs - they were one the first to do this, so that's usually better than the "copycats" who come later. Much like Bon Jovi in 1987 versus the Wingers and Warrants in 1990).

Pop/punk itself was more alternative based from, say 1994-2000, and Emo based from 2001 or '02 to now. I wonder if, say a kid in 2020 will lump the two together?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/04/06 at 3:26 am

I think "true emo" is Jimmy Eat World, Relient K, Panic! At The Disco, Good Charlotte (although the emos are said to hate them), Simple Plan, maybe even Blink-182 although they're kind of pre-emo.  Sum 41 are also emo.

I think related rock trends of the mid '00s, such as the new wave revival will also be seen as part of the "emo movement" from grunge in subsequent years.

Would you say numetal is a '90s holdover?  It's really just rap-oriented grunge, and emo has been big since like 2002.  Even in 2000 there was a little emo around, like that "Story of A Girl" song for instance.  But 2002-present is definitely the "emo era".

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/04/06 at 9:34 am

Alot of hipsters of course claim to hate mainstream emo like Good Charlotte, Jimmy Eat World, etc. and only like "hip emo" like Arcade Fire, Bright Eyes, Cursive, Death Cab for Cutie. But it's really just alternative emo. I think most of the hipster rock from this decade, whether it's emo or not now, will become thought of as emo by 2020.

Written By: Apricot on 03/04/06 at 1:21 pm

I think "true emo" is Jimmy Eat World, Relient K, Panic! At The Disco, Good Charlotte (although the emos are said to hate them), Simple Plan, maybe even Blink-182 although they're kind of pre-emo.  Sum 41 are also emo.

I think related rock trends of the mid '00s, such as the new wave revival will also be seen as part of the "emo movement" from grunge in subsequent years.

Would you say numetal is a '90s holdover?  It's really just rap-oriented grunge, and emo has been big since like 2002.  Even in 2000 there was a little emo around, like that "Story of A Girl" song for instance.  But 2002-present is definitely the "emo era".

You thought the band Nine Days was EMO?

You're really blanketing the term "EMO", ya know.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/04/06 at 4:29 pm

You know what really ticks me off? When people use the word "emo" to describe actions, personalities, etc. It sounds so moronic...I really think even "indie" rock like The Shins and Bright Eyes and The Killers and The Strokes will be thought of as emo by 2020, as you've said, Donnie. The subject matter is so similar.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/05/06 at 1:54 pm

I'd say that it's very likely it will. Since most 2000's rock sounds so similiar and a future teen in the 2020's isn't around now to notice the difference its very very possible.

Written By: sonikuu on 03/05/06 at 4:19 pm

I fear it will become a blanket term, even though it's not applicable to most modern rock.  Emo is a specific genre, not every band that whines and has angst.  Already, people are using the term Emo to describe Linkin Park and Simple Plan.  The simple fact is, they aren't Emo.  I think Emo may be used as a term to describe most pop-punk and some indie rock.  The blanket term process has already begun in some places, with people calling Good Charlotte and Simple Plan Emo.  They're not Emo, they're Pop-Punk.  I never even saw people refer to Simple Plan as 'Emo' until 2005, when Emo became truly mainstream.  I fear that, by 2020, Emo will be used to describe tons of music that isn't actually Emo and was never referred to as such at the time.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/05/06 at 4:39 pm

I doubt it. At least not here. Emo seems to be ridiculed more than praised down here.  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...