inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Piano-Oriented Rock Groups

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/04/06 at 12:55 am

I kind of like these sort of bands, a little boring, maybe, but really good.  Such as Keane, Coldplay, etc., reminds me of U2 or a-ha's later work.

Subject: Re: Piano-Oriented Rock Groups

Written By: nally on 03/04/06 at 1:00 am

Ben Fold's Five might be one of these groups...their song "Brick" from late '97/early '98 has a piano throughout.

Written By: Siempre on 03/04/06 at 1:14 am

The Fray is a new one that I've taken a liking to.  Especially "Over My Head (Cable Car)".  Amazing band, that. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/04/06 at 9:53 am

Piano doesn't seem to be the flavour of the month for bands these days. Ben Folds Five was one of the few 'mainstream' piano-orientated (as differentiated from a group which has a few piano numbers). Coldplay too. Indie bands have sort of taken more to the piano keyboard thing. One interesting band is an 'indie' art rock duo known as the 'Dresden Dolls' the piano playing is really unique.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 5:27 pm

Indie is more into melody than modern rock; they don't feel the need to have balls.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/30/06 at 5:28 pm

Yeah, I've really noticed the expansion of Piano based music in the last couple of years. The most recient I heard is "You had a bad day" and "When did you fall in love with me". Although it seems more like "straight to Adult contemporary" music, I'm not complaining. I'd rather have that than the return of the boy bands.

Check for new replies or respond here...