inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Elliot Smith was a true musical genius...

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/04/06 at 10:37 am

Just a show of hands, how many of you were familiar with Elliot Smith? No, he's not just another Cobain character who hated fame, or a latter day Nick Drake (though Drake was basically unknown during his lifetime). I don't know much about the man himself or his life, or his reaction to fame, or the cause or reason for his tragic death. But I can get a sense of that when I listen to his music. Listen to, 'Can't Make A Sound' and try to tell me it's not the saddest thing you've heard. No, I'm not gushing...just think he deserves recognition - more so than a mere Grammy, (and rightly deserves that he has) as one of the greatest songwriters of the late 90s, present decade. No necessarily saying he should be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall and Fame, but I think he's one of the best songwriters I've heard.The quality of his work is amazing...anyway...

Subject: Re: Elliot Smith was a true musical genius...

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/04/06 at 12:23 pm

He's my favorite artist. Andrew told me about him a while ago, and I've been completely captivated by his music and life ever since.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/04/06 at 1:01 pm

I'll elaborate on this more later, I'm at work now. But I'm glad you made this thread :)

Written By: Apricot on 03/04/06 at 1:20 pm

Elliott (Elliot?) Smith is a good musician... although he's very hit-or-miss with me... either way to sappy and boring or just perfect.

He really knew what he was doing, though. Just a shade to.. I dunno, "repetitive".

It's a shame that after his death, his parents had several songs removed from "From A Basement On The Hill".. I wanna know what "Suicide Machine" sounded like.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/04/06 at 4:30 pm

I'm not that familiar with him. I think along with Weezer, Radiohead, and Rufus Wainwright he's probably responsible for emo...though he was certainly much better than emo, from what I know of him. Does he do alot of piano songs? I like that.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/04/06 at 4:32 pm

I'm not that familiar with him. I think along with Weezer, Radiohead, and Rufus Wainwright he's probably responsible for emo...though he was certainly much better than emo, from what I know of him. Does he do alot of piano songs? I like that.

Acoustic guitar,  mostly.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/04/06 at 4:44 pm

He's my favorite artist. Andrew told me about him a while ago, and I've been completely captivated by his music and life ever since.

I have this cover of an old song called "Walk Away Renee" that he did.  If you decide to download it, I should forewarn you that the sound quality is not good... it's apparently some kind of live bootleg.  It seems to be pretty rare though, since i can't find it anywhere else... so here it is, incase you want it.

http://s24.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2QBI13DX25ZXT0HEMRLJ5EVPRM

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/04/06 at 6:37 pm

I have this cover of an old song called "Walk Away Renee" that he did.   If you decide to download it, I should forewarn you that the sound quality is not good... it's apparently some kind of live bootleg.  It seems to be pretty rare though, since i can't find it anywhere else... so here it is, incase you want it.

Whoa, that's so awesome :o. I think I found my new Xanga song. Thank you.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/04/06 at 6:39 pm

Whoa, that's so awesome :o. I think I found my new Xanga song. Thank you.

No problem... but can you hear it over all that background noise without putting your ear up to the speaker?  I can't. :-\\

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/04/06 at 6:41 pm

No problem... but can you hear it over all that background noise without putting your ear up to the speaker?  I can't. :-\\

I can hear it good. My speakers are up pretty loud, though.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/04/06 at 6:42 pm

And, Jeez, that's a beautiful song. It's kinda sad to listen to, though.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/04/06 at 6:44 pm

And, Jeez, that's a beautiful song. It's kinda sad to listen to, though.

Yeah, I love that song.. the original was by Left Banke and there was another popular cover by The Four Tops.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/04/06 at 6:45 pm

I have this cover of an old song called "Walk Away Renee" that he did.  If you decide to download it, I should forewarn you that the sound quality is not good... it's apparently some kind of live bootleg.  It seems to be pretty rare though, since i can't find it anywhere else... so here it is, incase you want it.

Thank you for uploading that.  I love the song, and I like his voice, so I'm curious to see what the two sound like put together.  :)

Written By: ADH13 on 03/04/06 at 6:50 pm

Thank you for uploading that.  I love the song, and I like his voice, so I'm curious to see what the two sound like put together.   :)

I really like his version of it, I just wish the sound quality was better... I searched high and low trying to find it on a CD and I never did... so I don't think it was ever 'officially' recorded. :(

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/04/06 at 7:05 pm

*Cries* Andrea, It'll only let me applaud you once. So I have decided to applaud you every day.. FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/04/06 at 7:06 pm

I really like his version of it, I just wish the sound quality was better... I searched high and low trying to find it on a CD and I never did... so I don't think it was ever 'officially' recorded. :(

Well, I applauded you for it, because it's gorgeous.  I got a little chillbumpy there toward the end.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/04/06 at 7:10 pm

Well, I applauded you for it, because it's gorgeous.  I got a little chillbumpy there toward the end.

I--I.. I cried. :-[

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/04/06 at 7:14 pm

I--I.. I cried. :-[

I almost did.  I'm sure if I listen to it again, I will.

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/04/06 at 9:40 pm

He has a couple piano songs, but he's mostly acoustic guitar. He's alt-folk, or folk rock.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/05/06 at 5:31 am

Thanks for the download Odyssey. Listening to it kinds of makes me wish I had discovered his music before his death... :\' I have a live cover version, 'Jealous Guy' if anyone's interested, one of the best versions I've heard of the song (as you know, there are MANY).

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/05/06 at 1:19 pm

Thanks for the download Odyssey. Listening to it kinds of makes me wish I had discovered his music before his death... :\' I have a live cover version, 'Jealous Guy' if anyone's interested, one of the best versions I've heard of the song (as you know, there are MANY).

You added me on MSN but you're never onliiiiiiiine. I now have someone to talk about Elliott Smith with, and you're never on..! I think we need to change this, young Trimac20..!!1

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/06/06 at 4:31 am

I'm online most days...I think the problems the difference in time-zones, if you live halfway around the world (I'm assuming your in the US), that that's over 12 hours time difference. So if I'm online at 11pm (I'm usually on from about 9pm unless I'm watching TV or out)...that'd be, maybe 7-8am in the morning. If we can find a time I would very much like to discuss Elliot Smith and other things, MidKnightDarkness (though I pbly don't know half as much as you about him).  :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/06/06 at 4:15 pm

You added me on MSN but you're never onliiiiiiiine. I now have someone to talk about Elliott Smith with, and you're never on..! I think we need to change this, young Trimac20..!!1

what are you talking about? YOU HAVE ME!@!!!!@!11

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/06/06 at 9:53 pm

what are you talking about? YOU HAVE ME!@!!!!@!11

Yes, but I'm sure you get tired of it ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...