inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will '00s Nostalgia Ever Take Off, and When?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/05/06 at 6:23 pm

I think it will in some ways, but it'll never be as big as the '70s, '80s, or '90s, since the '00s are such a non-decade. I'm guessing about 2025, it'll take off.

Subject: Re: Will '00s Nostalgia Ever Take Off, and When?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/05/06 at 6:31 pm

00's Nostalgia will start when the kids of this decade get a little older and start to look back on there childhood days in the "carefree 00's" and when the babies born later in the decade get older and start to take an interest in the 00's since they cant remember them.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/05/06 at 6:47 pm

I think it'll be the as to unnamed "Generation AA" that will take real interest in the '00s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/05/06 at 6:53 pm

I think it'll be the as to unnamed "Generation AA" that will take real interest in the '00s.

Yeah its kind of like how some Gen Yers are nostalgic for there childhood days in the 90's but I think "real" 90's nostalgia will be more of a Gen Z thing. I see the same thing for the 00's as well.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/05/06 at 8:11 pm

Yeah its kind of like how some Gen Yers are nostalgic for there childhood days in the 90's but I think "real" 90's nostalgia will be more of a Gen Z thing. I see the same thing for the 00's as well.

I don't think many Gen Zers will be that crazy about the '00s, exactly, they'll be rebelling against it in the '10s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/05/06 at 9:15 pm

I think the "retro" '90s will be a Gen Z thing, and they will grow nostalgic for the '00s in the 2010s.  I mean, really, to a 1997er the '90s are as ancient as the '80s are to someone your age, they would see it as "retro", not in the sense they'd see the '70s and '80s as retro, but they'd clearly consider the '90s before their time, even if they basked heavily in the '90s afterglow of the '00s.

I think '00s nostalgia will take off.  In fact, if they didn't rip off the '90s so much I would consider them a more dateable time.  I doubt that Reality Television and glam rap is here to stay, or at least I hope they're not!

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/05/06 at 10:39 pm

I think the "retro" '90s will be a Gen Z thing, and they will grow nostalgic for the '00s in the 2010s.  I mean, really, to a 1997er the '90s are as ancient as the '80s are to someone your age, they would see it as "retro", not in the sense they'd see the '70s and '80s as retro, but they'd clearly consider the '90s before their time, even if they basked heavily in the '90s afterglow of the '00s.

I think '00s nostalgia will take off.  In fact, if they didn't rip off the '90s so much I would consider them a more dateable time.  I doubt that Reality Television and glam rap is here to stay, or at least I hope they're not!

I don't think '00s nostalgia will start until at least 2023, they'll fall even harder in the '80s. Retro for grunge, pre-gangsta hip-hop, Seinfeld-style sitcoms, Quentin Tarantino, flannel, etc. will be a pretty Gen Z thing.

Written By: sonikuu on 03/06/06 at 12:02 am

It'll definitely occur in the 2020's, as nostalgia goes in 20 year cycles.  Naturally, they will be idealized, just like the 80's are now.  I admit, I love the 80's, but they are idealized.  There was tons of trash back then that was just plain terrible.  The 00's will wind up in a similar way.  All the bad things about the decade will be forgotten (even by many of those who lived in it) and it will be idealized as being an awesome decade.  I also highly doubt people will lump the 00's in with the 90's in the future.  Similar to how we consider the 60's and 70's to be two different, distinct decades, despite there being tons of similarities.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/06/06 at 12:10 am

Very true. A '97er would see the 90's as "ancient" simply because he wasn't there for most of decade and cant really remember the part he was alive in. Which is the exact same way I feel about the 80's.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 12:41 am

It'll definitely occur in the 2020's, as nostalgia goes in 20 year cycles.  Naturally, they will be idealized, just like the 80's are now.  I admit, I love the 80's, but they are idealized.  There was tons of trash back then that was just plain terrible.  The 00's will wind up in a similar way.  All the bad things about the decade will be forgotten (even by many of those who lived in it) and it will be idealized as being an awesome decade.  I also highly doubt people will lump the 00's in with the 90's in the future.  Similar to how we consider the 60's and 70's to be two different, distinct decades, despite there being tons of similarities.

I agree with that, I don't think they'll be lumped in with the '90s, the 2002+ period, anyway. It's so true, as you said, that there was alot of trash in the '80s and it wasn't all that great despite the music videos and cool fashion, and alot of people idealize it in retrospect. But alot of people thought it was a horrible time to be alive back then, particularly Generation Xers and some of the more hippie-minded boomers who never caught onto the yuppie thing. The '80s was also a time of extreme urban poverty, a widening gap between the classes, Ronald Reagan's stupidity, conspicuous consumption, trashy TV and hair metal, and alot of general superficiality, even if that's forgotten now. And lots of cocaine.

It's sort of scary that even people my age who weren't that crazy about the '00s when they were going on will forget all the horrific things about this decade, both in the world and in culture, and remember it as a "great decade" with their eagerness for nostalgia over time. I think it'll take more work to forget what sucked about the "New '80s" than the real '80s, though.

Like the '70s were idealized by alot of people now in their 40s and 50s back in the '90s, but my parents never idealized it like that...they remember the horror of being the short Jews at the disco. Everything gets rosy-colored in retrospect.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/06/06 at 12:55 am

It's sort of scary that even people my age who weren't that crazy about the '00s when they were going on will forget all the horrific things about this decade, both in the world and in culture, and remember it as a "great decade" with their eagerness for nostalgia over time. I think it'll take more work to forget what sucked about the "New '80s" than the real '80s, though.

I know alot of people have probably said this over the years but I just cant see myself being nostalgic for the 00's. For the things I did in the decade sure but not the decade itself but im sure there was an 80's teen that said the same thing back then but the passage of time changed there opinion.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 1:29 am

I know alot of people have probably said this over the years but I just cant see myself being nostalgic for the 00's. For the things I did in the decade sure but not the decade itself but im sure there was an 80's teen that said the same thing back then but the passage of time changed there opinion.

Yeah...I still know a few, though, who hold to their very anti-'80s opinion. Alot of people's lives sucked in the '80s, but in retrospect people in their 30s now romanticize the whole decade.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/06/06 at 4:54 am

A point about Nostalgia in general. I think the entire concept of 'Nostalgia' is sort of dying out. From here on into the future, we live in a digital world where information, ideas. etc are fluid, and there are fewer and fewer symbols of the age. Also, 'fashions' seem to be changing a lot slower. What I mean is, in the 70s you had very distinctive hairstyles, etc, whereas today there's a 'blandness.' 'Bland' decades are not usually remembered or celebrated in film, books.etc. Just think of the 1930s: nothing really much happened during that decade except the Depression. The 1920s, however, was a period rich in nostalgia. I think we are living in the transition between the 80s and the true 'Post Digital Age' or Virtual Age, which will begin about 2020. If there is any 'nostalgia' towards the 00s, it will be more because they were the first decade of the 21st century.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 6:23 am

A point about Nostalgia in general. I think the entire concept of 'Nostalgia' is sort of dying out. From here on into the future, we live in a digital world where information, ideas. etc are fluid, and there are fewer and fewer symbols of the age. Also, 'fashions' seem to be changing a lot slower. What I mean is, in the 70s you had very distinctive hairstyles, etc, whereas today there's a 'blandness.' 'Bland' decades are not usually remembered or celebrated in film, books.etc. Just think of the 1930s: nothing really much happened during that decade except the Depression. The 1920s, however, was a period rich in nostalgia. I think we are living in the transition between the 80s and the true 'Post Digital Age' or Virtual Age, which will begin about 2020. If there is any 'nostalgia' towards the 00s, it will be more because they were the first decade of the 21st century.

I don't really think nostalgia is dying out.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/06/06 at 11:14 am

I see where your coming from. Like I said I cant see myself being nostalgic for the 2000's right now as they have been pretty un-notable up to now but I think that as long as people continue to yearn for the "carefree good-old days" there will always be nostalgia.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 12:24 pm

I see where your coming from. Like I said I cant see myself being nostalgic for the 2000's right now as they have been pretty un-notable up to now but I think that as long as people continue to yearn for the "carefree good-old days" there will always be nostalgia.

I really, seriously don't think the concept of nostalgia is dying out, we still go through periods where everything seems to be influenced, if not directly, if in style and ethos, by what came 20-25 years before. Nostalgia is still a booming market.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/06/06 at 12:29 pm

So would you say 2000 onward is the Early Future, and will always be seen as "new" and "fresh", or do you think they'll be like a 20-year "post-'90s" slump?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/06/06 at 12:40 pm

So would you say 2000 onward is the Early Future, and will always be seen as "new" and "fresh", or do you think they'll be like a 20-year "post-'90s" slump?

I dont think there's a whole lot of new and fresh stuff in the 00's. Heck, even most of the technology we use today is just updated versions of things that have been around for years.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/06/06 at 12:41 pm

I dont think there's a whole lot of new and fresh stuff in the 00's. Heck, even most of the technology we use today is just updated versions of things that have been around for years.

Haha.

Yeah,  I think velvetoneo put it perfectly: the Zeroes is a pseudo-1990s pop culture with the yuppie ideals of the 1980s.  I think in the 2020s and even 2010s now will seem relatively ancient, especially considering real 21st century technology will probably start taking off then.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/06/06 at 12:52 pm

Haha.

Yeah,  I think velvetoneo put it perfectly: the Zeroes is a pseudo-1990s pop culture with the yuppie ideals of the 1980s.  I think in the 2020s and even 2010s now will seem relatively ancient, especially considering real 21st century technology will probably start taking off then.

Yep. Even the "cutting edge" ipod will be old and irrelevent by then ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 1:00 pm

I think we're sort of at the conclusion of one of the periods of rapid tech development, like there was from 1895-1925. This one is from 1985-2015. After that I think we'll be focusing more on things like alternative energy and climate control, etc. Then there'll probably be another smaller one in the mid-21st century, when tech developed in the early 21st century comes out, and another one culminating the mid-21st century developments at the end of the 21st and the beginning of the 22nd. Probably the 2020s will be very evolved seeming '00s tech.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/06/06 at 1:03 pm

I think we're sort of at the conclusion of one of the periods of rapid tech development, like there was from 1895-1925. This one is from 1985-2015. After that I think we'll be focusing more on things like alternative energy and climate control, etc. Then there'll probably be another smaller one in the mid-21st century, when tech developed in the early 21st century comes out, and another one culminating the mid-21st century developments at the end of the 21st and the beginning of the 22nd. Probably the 2020s will be very evolved seeming '00s tech.

I think the 20th/21st boundary is more or less 1982-2012.  I think 1982-1992 is more 20th, and 1993 onward is more 21st, based on what we're in.

I wonder if this decade will be to the rest of the century what the Aughts are to the 20th century, that first decade of the century that looks just like the century that preceded it.  Maybe this is the end of the "20th Century", I mean at least we still have our rights and movie theaters, traditional radio, etc.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/06/06 at 1:56 pm

I think the 20th/21st boundary is more or less 1982-2012.  I think 1982-1992 is more 20th, and 1993 onward is more 21st, based on what we're in.

I wonder if this decade will be to the rest of the century what the Aughts are to the 20th century, that first decade of the century that looks just like the century that preceded it.  Maybe this is the end of the "20th Century", I mean at least we still have our rights and movie theaters, traditional radio, etc.

I think the 1900's may have still felt somewhat like the 1890's but by the 1910's things were drastically different. I thing the same may happen in the 2010's but we'll just have to wait and see.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 1:58 pm

I don't think traditional radio and movie theaters will ever end, they'll just evolve with the times.

I really do believe the 21st century won't be that much different from the 20th except in  way of life (more digital.) I think through the 2030s things will be more like an evolved version of this decade, and then there'll be some signs of future change starting in the mid-21st century. As I've said, there are periods of rapid and slow development. The 1895-1925 period was the most rapid in history, ever.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/06/06 at 2:02 pm

I think the 1900's may have still felt somewhat like the 1890's but by the 1910's things were drastically different. I thing the same may happen in the 2010's but we'll just have to wait and see.

Are you of the opinion, like me that the 1990s as a whole were a 21st Century decade?  Transitional, of course,  but I think by 1993 the 20th Century was pretty much over and the 21st was beginning to start.  In the '90s people started talking about it being end times, terrorism started getting really bad then, global warming was acknowledged, there were even much less tragic Iraq and World Trade Center events in the early '90s. 

I think the "Real 20th Century" spanned from about 1915 to 1992, inclusive.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 2:04 pm

The 1990s were sort of transitional to the 21st century, but so were the 1980s, in alot of ways. The transition started in 1980 or so and it became clear by 1993 that it was the beginnings of a new time period.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/06/06 at 2:06 pm

The 1990s were sort of transitional to the 21st century, but so were the 1980s, in alot of ways. The transition started in 1980 or so and it became clear by 1993 that it was the beginnings of a new time period.

Yeah, I agree.  The '80s was when people started realizing technology was taken over, and it was also the end of the industrial age (well, the end of that industrial age.  Personally, I think we're now in a different industrial age: the Information Age).  The new wave music of the time really reflects this.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 2:07 pm

Out of curiosity, Donnie, what do you think of my tech predictions and such? I also don't think robotics and VR technology will ever truly take off...I mean, remember, in an example I've used before, people in the 1960s "space age" thought we'd be living like The Jetsons and Space Odyssey: 2001 by now. This might be seen as the "digital age", when expectations exceed reality more than a little before the reality comes.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/06/06 at 7:10 pm

Are you of the opinion, like me that the 1990s as a whole were a 21st Century decade?  Transitional, of course,  but I think by 1993 the 20th Century was pretty much over and the 21st was beginning to start.  In the '90s people started talking about it being end times, terrorism started getting really bad then, global warming was acknowledged, there were even much less tragic Iraq and World Trade Center events in the early '90s. 

I think the "Real 20th Century" spanned from about 1915 to 1992, inclusive.

Yeah that's very true. I dont think that 1993 was the end of the 20th Century but rather the beginning of the 21st and of the digital age.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/06/06 at 7:44 pm

Out of curiosity, Donnie, what do you think of my tech predictions and such? I also don't think robotics and VR technology will ever truly take off...I mean, remember, in an example I've used before, people in the 1960s "space age" thought we'd be living like The Jetsons and Space Odyssey: 2001 by now. This might be seen as the "digital age", when expectations exceed reality more than a little before the reality comes.

They're very good, but I do think the sci-fi age is near.  Although I do agree that space travel won't become commonplace until late this century.

As for VR and robotics, I think they probably will, but your guess is as valid as mine :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 7:58 pm

They're very good, but I do think the sci-fi age is near.  Although I do agree that space travel won't become commonplace until late this century.

As for VR and robotics, I think they probably will, but your guess is as valid as mine :)

I personally don't see the demand for either VR or robotics by healthy people. I don't think there will ever quite be a true "sci-fi" age with robots and all...it's almost a fetishistic obsession with alot of people, robots. I mean, remember...I love quoting this example: I've actually asked people alive in the '60s if they thought we'd be sailing through space with robot maids by 2001, and they grudgingly said they sort of believed that. I don't think there're any signs that we need robotics yet in any way that would replace people, it's a creepy idea that most people aren't terribly enthusiastic about.

VR is a different story...there's a demand out there for it...but there still aren't that many people interested in developing it. There's something troublingly inhuman about it. I think we're only somewhat comfortable with technology, it can't be too close to reality. VR has been a dream people could've been doing for decades if they'd put the energy, time, and money into it, but I just don't see it happening until I'm waaay past my prime in any meaningful way, if it happens at all.

I also believe there are periods of rapid advancement and slower advancement with tech that affects daily life. 1895-1925 was one such period of rapid advancement, and probably 1985-2015 will be seen that way in the future. In between we'll just be moving towards another period of advancement that might bring us a bit closer to what you call the "sci-fi age". I think we'll be preoccupied with trying to discover alternative energy and ways to combat global warming and poverty between the 2010s and 2030s, not putting money into virtual reality or robotics, in order to avoid the end of the world.

Another aspect of my opinion on VR is that I think it's symptomatic of how we think of the future. When space travel was hot, we thought about space. Now that digital entertainment is hot, we're jumping to VR in our expectations. I also don't think space travel will become commonplace until well after I'm gone, there's not even that much interest in it currently and affordable space travel would take HOW many dollars of investment to develop??

When people talk about cures for diseases, they forget the amount of work and money that is put into doing this, and that there are 100 false starts for 1 decent pill that will more likely than not be rejected by the FDA. I live in Jersey, pharmaceutical capitol of the world, and lots of people I know have pharmaceutical connections in one way or another. I think we may be able to extend the life expectancy to about 90, but 100 is an overexpectation. I mean, heart disease is difficult, obesity and cancer just aren't going away, and neither is smoking.

We might be entering some weird, highly cut-down version of the sci-fi age, but usually after some big invention there's a whirlwind of imagination about the future and sci-fi becomes en vogue. See what happened in the '50s and '60s after the atomic bomb and the development of space travel, and see what's happening now after the computer is introduced. And this, of course, entails overestimation for the fantasy to work that lets you cope with the worries of new technology.

Of course, what happens is never as predicted, quite.

I also think future big youth rebellions (don't anybody say they don't happen anymore because of the digital age, that's just because Gen Y is hilariously mediocre for the large part) will focus on destroying and rebelling against tech and technocrats.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/06/06 at 10:00 pm

'00s nostalgia will definitely take off, probably in the 2020s. By then the '00s may be like the "good old days".

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/06/06 at 10:02 pm

Wow!  You should write a book!  8)

Anyway, yeah I see what you're saying about VR.  It's inherently unhealthy and would be more addictive than all of the drugs in the world combined (in a way, this forum is a form of VR).  

People don't care about Space Travel anymore, I mean how many tourists have been to space?  I think it's like 3 or 4.  We're going back to the moon, BACK TO THE MOON, in the late 2010s, FIFTY YEARS after the 1969 moon landing.  And even that's only if they don't change their mind.  I think there will be a huge shock to the economy when oil gets to a certain price, and World War III will start, and countries will crumble, and people will die.  Then, when the human population is halved, we will be so disgusted with ourselves that there will be a Paradigm Shift caused by the landing of ETs and we will become a Utopian society.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 10:15 pm

Wow!  You should write a book!  8)

Anyway, yeah I see what you're saying about VR.  It's inherently unhealthy and would be more addictive than all of the drugs in the world combined (in a way, this forum is a form of VR).  

People don't care about Space Travel anymore, I mean how many tourists have been to space?  I think it's like 3 or 4.  We're going back to the moon, BACK TO THE MOON, in the late 2010s, FIFTY YEARS after the 1969 moon landing.  And even that's only if they don't change their mind.  I think there will be a huge shock to the economy when oil gets to a certain price, and World War III will start, and countries will crumble, and people will die.  Then, when the human population is halved, we will be so disgusted with ourselves that there will be a Paradigm Shift caused by the landing of ETs and we will become a Utopian society.

I think there is going to be a bird flu pandemic in Asia in the late '00s at the same time as an oil crisis and then we will have to work to stop global poverty and disease, and find new energy sources, in the '10s and '20s. On the way, lots of Asian and African countries will go into civil wars. After oil, Islamic society will stop being a source of concern to the West. We will be in a cold war with China that will underlie the 2010s and 2020s, while at the same time we pass tariffs to protect American jobs.

Written By: chiefyamick on 03/07/06 at 12:00 am

Give it a generation or two and I think it will. Just like today, when the fashion styles of the late 70's are making a comeback (with a twist or two)...Kind of like everything coming full circle...the 80's might just make a comeback as well, it's all going to just take a little time.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/07/06 at 5:55 am

Give it a generation or two and I think it will. Just like today, when the fashion styles of the late 70's are making a comeback (with a twist or two)...Kind of like everything coming full circle...the 80's might just make a comeback as well, it's all going to just take a little time.

Oh, the late '70s already had their comeback about six or seven years ago, we're currently in the big time '80s revival. The amount of ads I've seen recently for "'80s Movie Nights" lately makes me believe '80s nostalgia is only increasing.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/07/06 at 6:12 am

Speaking of good and bad things about the '80s:

Good Things-

Cyndi Lauper
Early MTV
The Fashion (Mostly)
Great Horror Movies and Some Great Comedies
John Hughes Movies
"The Golden Girls"
The Go-Gos
Kate Bush
Madonna
New Wave/Most Synth Pop and Post-Punk
The Pixies
The Smiths

Bad Things-

Beginning of Corporatization
Bullying and HS Cliques
The Crack Epidemic
Duran Duran
"Greed is Good"
Hair Metal
Most Dramatic Movies (Early-Mid '80s)
Ronald Reagan
TV
Yuppies
Widening Gap Between Rich and Poor

Check for new replies or respond here...