inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are the Zeroes a definable decade?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/05/06 at 9:19 pm

I would have to say Yes.  If they didn't rip off the '90s so much, they would be incredibly distinct.

The Zeroes are the era of Paris Hilton, bling bling rap, whiny emo power-pop, Reality Television, long-lasting animated sitcoms, slutty clothing, and awful politics and news.  The '90s are less definable than now I think (although I like the '90s better for sure), but then again the whole "About Nothing" vibe of the '90s is kind of what the '90s are.  The '00s are more one-tracked than the '90s were.

Subject: Re: Are the Zeroes a definable decade?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/05/06 at 10:37 pm

Yes, they're a definable decade...they're the eighties as they would've happened after the nineties. They're the decade of corporate despotism, the iPod, Paris Hilton/Lindsay Lohan and other somewhat meaningless celebrities, the trucker hat, MySpace and blogging, corny glam rap with songs like "Ms. New Booty", trendy urban snoot hipsters, emo, Conor Oberst, American Idol, exploitative reality TV...it's like looking at a train wreck on an HD screen. They're like the schmaltz of the '80s without the fun, covered in glass with lots of microchips on a fancy silver plate. They're the '90s with an '80s mindset, which is why they suck.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/06/06 at 12:16 am

Just how definable they become depends on how much things change in the next few years but assuming that pop culture is drastically different in the 10's then they will be very definable. 20 years from now glam rap will scream 00's just like glam rock screams 80's.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 12:34 am

I hate the '00s for many reasons, they are just so vulgar and stupid right now they'll look horrible by 2011.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/06/06 at 12:38 am

I hate the '00s for many reasons, they are just so vulgar and stupid right now they'll look horrible by 2011.

Me too. It seems like these days alot of people are ready for this decade to be over just like alot of people I think were ready for the 80's to be over by '89/'90.

Check for new replies or respond here...