inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Premature Yuppieism in Gen Y

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 7:42 pm

Does anybody else here think that Gen Y has alot of premature yuppieism and such in it? Like, I think the 1984-1990 group of Yers picked up an insane amount in urban areas from yuppie parents. Alot of Y culture seems like a teenified version of conspicuous consumption, "work hard, play hard" mentality, materialism for things that seem obscure and cultured, an obsession with trendiness, excessive vacuity and meaningless purchases (grills, etc.) Anybody else see echoes of the yuppies in many Gen Yers? I think that's one of the main things we got from our parents. Part of it is the pseudo-'80s pseudo-yuppie mentality pervading '00s pop culture, part of it is the teens and young adults themselves...I think my generation will grow out of this a bit and mild up to becoming very establishment as we age.

Subject: Re: Premature Yuppieism in Gen Y

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/06/06 at 7:48 pm

Oh, there's tons of Gen Y preppie bastards.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/06/06 at 7:52 pm

I'm sure there are some... but for the most part, I don't see it.  I see kids/teens going out of their way to look like they come straight from the ghetto. :-\\

I think something along the lines of a 64 Impala or a Honda with tinted windows is their idea of the perfect car... a far cry from a yuppie-ish Mercedes.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 7:59 pm

There's also alot of indie-yuppie or bohemian yuppie in the hipsters and emo people, though...they just wouldn't admit that going to Starbucks and Urban Outfitters smacks of yuppie jr.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/06/06 at 9:41 pm

No!!!! I thought that the whole Yuppie thing died in the early 90's.  ::)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/06/06 at 9:51 pm

Are you kidding?  It's only gotten worse.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/06/06 at 9:57 pm

Geeeeee.... That's great to here....

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/06/06 at 10:09 pm

Aparently there are yuppies out there now called indie yuppies.  Had no idea until now.

Got this from another page....

A quiz to see if you a indie yuppie...

http://www.taleoftwocities.org/2005/05/indie-rock-fans-make-money-are-pussies.php

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/06/06 at 10:12 pm

Aparently there are yuppies out there now called indie yuppies.  Had no idea until now.

http://www.taleoftwocities.org/2005/05/indie-rock-fans-make-money-are-pussies.php

Indie is to the '00s what "Alternative" was to the '90s.  And this is coming from a huge Death Cab For Cutie fan.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 10:13 pm

This describes most high school yuppie hipsters, with the truncation of things that are impossible for a 17-year old.

Yuppies really just changed as they aged after about 1991 or so. The prime yuppie now had children and couldn't spend evenings slamming down cocaine after making millions of dollars a day. They became a "kinder, gentler" yuppie with artsy affectations and SUVs to drive their mini-yuppies around in. Now, their kids are becoming mini-yuppies.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/06/06 at 10:29 pm

I'm glad that I'll never to worry about that, or about being an indie yuppie for that matter.  ::)

Written By: rich1981 on 03/06/06 at 11:37 pm

Thankfully I'm no indie yuppie  ::).

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/07/06 at 4:51 am

Don't want to sound like a social commentator, but I think all of you are right in some respect. 'Yuppieism' may not be much worse, but 'consumerism' if anything is stronger than ever. It is, I think, because material things have increasingly become the main thing of value in this modern society. Greed has always been an integral part of all societies in all periods of human history, but there's never been a time when almost ones time is dedicated to the worship of the almighty dollar. We're all sent to the best schools, try to get the best jobs, try to get into certain social groups, worry incessantly about financial woes...We're just becoming more dependent on an economic system that is draining the 'soul' out of us. Some say that a religious revival (both traditional religions and new-age religions) is occuring, but I think true spiritual appreciation (not meaning a belief in supernatural/God, but an appreciate for deeper things like ecology) is rare amongst today's generation. Few really possess a passion for the plight of the worlds, people in poverty.etc, a kind of idealistic vision. Even if the hippies' version sort of fell flat, at least they had the courage to have that vision. But I'm sort of getting off topic, I myself am very much guilty of this materialism. Enough of my lecturing and moralising, time to play with my PSP...

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/07/06 at 5:57 am

Don't want to sound like a social commentator, but I think all of you are right in some respect. 'Yuppieism' may not be much worse, but 'consumerism' if anything is stronger than ever. It is, I think, because material things have increasingly become the main thing of value in this modern society. Greed has always been an integral part of all societies in all periods of human history, but there's never been a time when almost ones time is dedicated to the worship of the almighty dollar. We're all sent to the best schools, try to get the best jobs, try to get into certain social groups, worry incessantly about financial woes...We're just becoming more dependent on an economic system that is draining the 'soul' out of us. Some say that a religious revival (both traditional religions and new-age religions) is occuring, but I think true spiritual appreciation (not meaning a belief in supernatural/God, but an appreciate for deeper things like ecology) is rare amongst today's generation. Few really possess a passion for the plight of the worlds, people in poverty.etc, a kind of idealistic vision. Even if the hippies' version sort of fell flat, at least they had the courage to have that vision. But I'm sort of getting off topic, I myself am very much guilty of this materialism. Enough of my lecturing and moralising, time to play with my PSP...

As I've said, I think this is what Gen Z/AA will be rebelling against about Gens X/Y.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/07/06 at 12:10 pm

I'm sure there are some... but for the most part, I don't see it.  I see kids/teens going out of their way to look like they come straight from the ghetto. :-\\

Yeah, there's plenty of "gangsta's" in Gen Y.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/07/06 at 12:31 pm

Yeah, there's plenty of "gangsta's" in Gen Y.

I think the trend towards people who listen to rap being a particular subculture was at its peak until about 2002 or 2003, now it seems to be that lots of totally preppie people love rap, it's been sanitized so far into glam rap from what it was.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/07/06 at 12:59 pm

I think the trend towards people who listen to rap being a particular subculture was at its peak until about 2002 or 2003, now it seems to be that lots of totally preppie people love rap, it's been sanitized so far into glam rap from what it was.

Yeah I noticed that trend at my school as well. Last year there were just as many people that were "gangsta's" that liked rap as there were guys that wore pink polo shirts that did :D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 1:08 pm

Yeah I noticed that trend at my school as well. Last year there were just as many people that were "gangsta's" that liked rap as there were guys that wore pink polo shirts that did :D

I think the Emo craze is a HUGE subculture?

You know what's funny?  Most emo artists only sell Gold, so those bastards must mostly download their albums  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/07/06 at 1:52 pm

I think the Emo craze is a HUGE subculture?

You know what's funny?  Most emo artists only sell Gold, so those bastards must mostly download their albums  ;D

You know when you think about rap albums usually sell alot more than emo. I wonder why? I guess it must be because the emo guys download songs off the internet as opposed to buying the record but I wonder why rap guys dont?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 1:56 pm

You know when you think about rap albums usually sell alot more than emo. I wonder why? I guess it must be because the emo guys download songs off the internet as opposed to buying the record but I wonder why rap guys dont?

I don't know. Hmmm.

I do know the hipster nerds love the Ipods and MP3 players.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/07/06 at 1:59 pm

I don't know. Hmmm.

I do know the hipster nerds love the Ipods and MP3 players.

That may be why. I dont know about everywhere else but around here you hardly ever see any "gangsta's" with ipods or MP3 players.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 2:00 pm

That may be why. I dont know about everywhere else but around here you hardly ever see any "gangsta's" with ipods or MP3 players.

I wonder if this has to do with the hip hop "record" culture.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/07/06 at 5:45 pm

Also, emo people and hipsters spend half their time looking at music sites on the internet for obscure independent music. They download and they tend to buy CDs used, they burn, etc. Also, I think they buy a wider variety of music constantly, not a few CDs, so their spending dollars get spread out more.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/28/06 at 2:07 am

Personally I have two stereotypes when it comes to my fellow Xrs

1- The lower class "Slackers"
2- The upper class "Yuppies"

I hate to say it but in reality Gen X is as much defined by yuppiness, if not more than even the Boomers themselves. In modern times many of the "slackers" have matured and moved on, getting careers and families and generally disappearing into the woodwork. However I see ALOT of Gen X yuppies still holding on to the 90's with the coffee's, trendy neighborhoods, BMW's, and the like.

To be honest I really don't dislike what is considered the Yuppie lifestyle myself. As long as you have a decent charactr there nothing wrong with being a successful person.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/28/06 at 3:36 am

Personally I have two stereotypes when it comes to my fellow Xrs

1- The lower class "Slackers"
2- The upper class "Yuppies"

I hate to say it but in reality Gen X is as much defined by yuppiness, if not more than even the Boomers themselves. In modern times many of the "slackers" have matured and moved on, getting careers and families and generally disappearing into the woodwork. However I see ALOT of Gen X yuppies still holding on to the 90's with the coffee's, trendy neighborhoods, BMW's, and the like.

To be honest I really don't dislike what is considered the Yuppie lifestyle myself. As long as you have a decent charactr there nothing wrong with being a successful person.

As long as you don't step over many bodies to get that success!  ;)

Written By: ZtoYOhMy on 05/28/06 at 3:25 pm

But will the yuppies continue to exist in the next realm of Generation Z?

Check for new replies or respond here...