inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Ultimate Irony

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 8:17 pm

If you search for "Die Yuppie Scum" on google, you get a page for Urban Outfitters' "Die Yuppie Scum", to be worn by all ironic future bobos (bohemian yuppies.) That site to me just exudes disgusting Gen Y hipsterness, I don't think they get they are just yuppies themselves. That's the problem with Gen Y, we just layer on irony until it's just to cover up insecurity, it's our most studied mechanism.

Subject: Re: The Ultimate Irony

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/06/06 at 8:22 pm

If you search for "Die Yuppie Scum" on google, you get a page for Urban Outfitters' "Die Yuppie Scum", to be worn by all ironic future bobos (bohemian yuppies.) That site to me just exudes disgusting Gen Y hipsterness, I don't think they get they are just yuppies themselves. That's the problem with Gen Y, we just layer on irony until it's just to cover up insecurity, it's our most studied mechanism.

a) Why were you searching for "Die Yuppie Scum?"
b) Let's assume everything you're saying is correct - what's the issue?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 8:27 pm

a) Why were you searching for "Die Yuppie Scum?"
b) Let's assume everything you're saying is correct - what's the issue?

I wanted to read something negative about yuppies. It just says something about "bohemian" culture right now.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/07/06 at 4:52 am

Too true. The new generation has forgotten how to take itself seriously, everything's one big parody.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 12:26 pm

Gen Y "irony" is such a joke.

The Millenial idea of "irony" is listening to Arcade Fire instead of Fall Out Boy.  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/07/06 at 12:28 pm

Gen Y "irony" is such a joke.

The Millenial idea of "irony" is listening to Arcade Fire instead of Fall Out Boy.  ;D

I know, seriously. We coat ourselves in fake irony. It's like the only thing we know how to do. I mean, Gen X were too ironic, but we're ironic to the point where we just do it instinctively.

Written By: gmann on 03/07/06 at 1:45 pm

Too true. The new generation has forgotten how to take itself seriously, everything's one big parody.

So *that's* my problem! No wonder I had a hard time fitting in with my peers. I was just too damn serious for most folks. I guess I took too many Flintstones vitamins and not enough irony pills.  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/07/06 at 5:46 pm

So *that's* my problem! No wonder I had a hard time fitting in with my peers. I was just too damn serious for most folks. I guess I took too many Flintstones vitamins and not enough irony pills.  ;D

I feel the same way, everybody I know is vaguely disinclined to take anything seriously. Emo is like a substitute for that.

Check for new replies or respond here...