inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: To Wake Up in 2001

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 11:33 am

I remember 2001 like yesterday, and in most ways it seems just like 2006, but do you think if you were to wake up in 2001 for some reason, you would notice any minute differences you never noticed?  For instance, would there be a higher percentage of boxy cars on the road?  Of course, the radio would be playing slightly different music, but you wouldn't notice that for a while.

Subject: Re: To Wake Up in 2001

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/07/06 at 11:42 am

Well teen pop was still pretty big in 2001 so there would be alot more songs by The Backstreet Boys,Britney Spears,etc. on pop radio than now. I really dont think cars were that different back then. Even though I think 2002 was alot more like 2006 than '01 was I still think it would take a little while to notice the differnece.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 11:44 am

^Interesting observations.

How long do you think it would take you to notice you were in a different time, without turning on any TVs, radios, or computers?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/07/06 at 11:56 am

How long do you think it would take you to notice you were in a different time, without turning on any TVs, radios, or computers?

Well without TV, radios, or computers it would take a good while. I'm not sure exactly how long but I think that the overall atmoshpere and look in 2001(especially later in the year after 9/11) is similair enough to today that it could take a while just to noitce that it wasnt 2006.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 11:56 am

Well without TV, radios, or computers it would take a good while. I'm not sure exactly how long but I think that the overall atmoshpere and look in 2001(especially later in the year after 9/11) is similair enough to today that it could take a while just to noitce that it wasnt 2006.

Yeah, early 2001 still had a 1999ish sort of feeling to it, so that might be a little more obvious.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/07/06 at 12:04 pm

Yeah, early 2001 still had a 1999ish sort of feeling to it, so that might be a little more obvious.

Yeah it really depends on what part of the year you woke up in. The later part of the year would have a bit more noticable difference to now than the early part.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 12:05 pm

^Do you think there's any minute differences one would notice that you'd never think about?  Like the computers?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/07/06 at 12:16 pm

^Do you think there's any minute differences one would notice that you'd never think about?  Like the computers?

That depends on if I woke up here in my hometown. If that's the case then I'd notice right away because of things like location of stores, new stores or resteruants coming into town,etc. But if I woke up in a random unfamiliar place then then I dont think I'd notice for awhile. As far as computers goes now broadband use is more widespread and even dial-up is a little faster but computers themselves haven't changed since 2001 IMO.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 12:18 pm

That depends on if I woke up here in my hometown. If that's the case then I'd notice right away because of things like location of stores, new stores or resteruants coming into town,etc. But if I woke up in a random unfamiliar place then then I dont think I'd notice for awhile. As far as computers goes now broadband use is more widespread and even dial-up is a little faster but computers themselves haven't changed since 2001 IMO.

The only real difference I notice is the flat-screens, but that may have began in 2000 or 2001 or even 1999.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/07/06 at 12:30 pm

I wouldn't notice that many differences. The cars are essentially the same. If I were in NYC, the whole look would be different...way less tech-y, not so many people smoking on the streets. The computers and TVs look a bit different, white computers were more common back then, now these sci-fi looking silver and black consoles and flat screens seem to be the way to go.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/07/06 at 12:55 pm

The only real difference I notice is the flat-screens, but that may have began in 2000 or 2001 or even 1999.

Yeah I forgot about flat-screen monitors. They are very popular now but as far as I remember they weren't back in 2001 so that would be one small difference.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/07/06 at 8:44 pm

It wouldn't be much different, but there are a few differences. Teen pop was still kind of cool then, but so was Ludacris, Petey Pablo, Ja Rule, and Nelly. It was definitely on its way out by later in the year. The computers are different, but computers change constantly. Now you have more flat screen LCD monitors and TVs and more HD programming. Plasma TVs/LCD projection/DLP TVs really hadn't took off yet it 2001. Most TVs in the store were still the traditional CRT variety.

Written By: whistledog on 03/08/06 at 12:57 am

if I woke up in 2001, I'd convince Donnie's parents that the internet is evil and that he shouldn't be allowed near it ;D :P

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/08/06 at 6:20 pm

^Interesting observations.

I'd notice right away, because I'd be back in Nebraska.  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/08/06 at 6:31 pm

I'd notice right away, because I'd be back in Nebraska.  ;D

;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/13/06 at 7:54 pm

I'm not so sure I would want to relive 2001...I was pretty sick physically and was on supplemental oxygen...also that was the year one of my favorite NASCAR drivers passed on, Dale Earnhardt.

2002 was much better to me.

Written By: 90sto2000sfanrob on 03/17/06 at 3:46 am

2001 was the best year of my life. I skateboarded everyday and just slept over my friends houses and went to the mall all the time. Sounds dumb and all but I enjoyed every moment and miss it a lot. I didn't work, all I did was skateboard everyday and goof off with my friends 24-7 with school being my main responsibility. Of course I had school but that was so much fun too. I go to college now and it's totally overrated.  Parties are fun and I have more freedom in some ways but the little things I had in 2001 no longer exist. If I want to hang out with my friends I have to drive over to their houses and find time for them. We no longer get out from school and meet up with each other and walk down the street together and have the immaturity that made the little things great. That is not really possible after high school. It just went by so fast. I'm grateful to have the great memories but I also miss it very much and wish I could go back in time and relive it. But I have a great dog and a great girlfriend now so I'm happy. But I still miss 2001 very much.

But I probably wouldn't know the different. Cars are really the same, but movies and the current tv shows would throw me off. But crappy people like Paris Hilton, Ashlee SImpson, etc, werent famous in 2001 so i'd be happy without them. But technology is really the only thing that changes. Everything else stays the same.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/30/06 at 5:44 pm

Actually I the major difference between the 80's and 90's I noticed back then was in fact the boxiness of the cars. I remember seeing my first "rounded" car back in 1990 when our retired neighbor bought a new car.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/30/06 at 6:06 pm

If I woke up in 2001, I'd be pissed because not only would I be 5 years younger and not old enough to drink yet, I'd still be in college.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/31/06 at 12:26 am

It would be a little different. Boy bands were still semi-cool. Shaggy was real popular. There was less hip-hop and more teen pop than today. There would be less '00s looking cars on the radio, I can usually recognize changes in car design comparing late '90s cars to a mid 2000s car. Nu metal would be dominating rock radio. Computers wouldn't be as fast. XP would be new or still in beta for most of the year.

Check for new replies or respond here...