inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Day After Tommorrow

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 11:55 am

I believe this movie, starring Jake Gyllenhaal (DONNIE DARKO!) came out in 2003 or '04. 

Wasn't it extremely cheesy?

AS YOU CAN SEE, THERE'S A HUGE TORNADO RIGHT BEHIND ME!

Subject: Re: The Day After Tommorrow

Written By: gmann on 03/07/06 at 12:43 pm

I believe this movie, starring Jake Gyllenhaal (DONNIE DARKO!) came out in 2003 or '04. 

Wasn't it extremely cheesy?

AS YOU CAN SEE, THERE'S A HUGE TORNADO RIGHT BEHIND ME!

I didn't bother seeing it in the cinema, but I did finally rent it last year. It was okay, but not great. Mindless entertainment....it served its purpose well.  :)  BTW, what's with all the disaster flicks in recent years? Since the late 90s, there have been a ton of films depicting the planet plunging into total chaos due to a collision with a giant meteor or some such event. Even "War of the Worlds" had a similar feel, though one could argue that the alien invasion had political overtones.   

Written By: La Roche on 03/07/06 at 12:44 pm

Hehehehe, I actually really enjoyed it. In fact I own the DVD.

That being said, it's not a classic or anything, just great destruction and special FX. I hate having to think  ;D

Written By: gmann on 03/07/06 at 12:59 pm

I hate having to think  ;D

:D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 1:06 pm

Hehehehe, I actually really enjoyed it. In fact I own the DVD.

That being said, it's not a classic or anything, just great destruction and special FX. I hate having to think  ;D

;D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/07/06 at 3:00 pm

Did you know that the movie was based on a book written by Art Bell?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 3:01 pm

Did you know that the movie was based on a book written by Art Bell?

IT WAS?

I freaking love Coast to Coast.  I didn't know that was his book.

Written By: gmann on 03/07/06 at 3:04 pm

IT WAS?

You learn something new everyday, don't you?  :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 3:05 pm

You learn something new everyday, don't you?  :)

Yup. :)

It does seem up Art Bell's alley, that's for sure.

Written By: whistledog on 03/07/06 at 3:06 pm

This movie was great.  It's the kind of movie that needs to be seen in a theatre.  For the price they charge for admission these days, you'd better expect loads of special effects and this movie was all that and a bag of chips

Written By: Dukefan on 03/07/06 at 3:53 pm

I didn't think it was all that great - way overhyped.  Pretty much just a typical summer movie, but it did pack em' in at theaters and make money, so I guess it served its purpose.   

The effects weren't that good.  Twister had better looking tornados, and it came out nearly a decade prior to TDAT.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/07/06 at 6:03 pm

BTW, what's with all the disaster flicks in recent years? Since the late 90s, there have been a ton of films depicting the planet plunging into total chaos due to a collision with a giant meteor or some such event.

This is a cycle that happens every decade or so.

In the 1970's, there were a slew of them.  Most of them were from the idea that "Man is not more powerful then nature".  Irwin Allen was a master of this genre.  The Posidon Adventure, Earthquake, The Towering Inferno, Fire!, Flood!, The Swarm, and a bunch more.

In the 1980's, they were often Cold War driven.  The Day After, World War III, Threads (which is my favorite post-WWIII movie), the Mad Max series, and a bunch of others.

Now, we are simply driven back to Nature being the enemy.  Twister, Armagedon, Deep Impact, Volcano, Dante's Peak, The Day After Tomorrow, Deep Core, and others.

Myself, I found the movie laughable.  The ultimate in "junk science" being turned into a movie.  I am not surprised at all that the idea was taken from a "Nonfiction" book by Art Bell.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/07/06 at 6:21 pm

I think this really started in the '90s as part of '70s nostalgia, and now we see more "war movies" focusing on Arabs and oil, like Black Hawk Down, but the disaster movies survived...they're all pretty moronic and irritating. I remember all-star disaster movies like that were oftentimes nominated in the 1970s for Best Picture, despite the amazing films made in the '70s. Maybe it was a reaction to the cold-war centered '60s.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/07/06 at 7:39 pm

I thought it was a pretty good film.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/08/06 at 11:09 am

IT WAS?

Yeah. I believe the actual name of the book was "The Coming Global Superstorm."

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/10/06 at 1:00 pm

That movie was cool as far as the special effects goes, but the plot was dragging a little bit. It was made the same way as Independence Day, how after the stuff went down, the plot really slowed down.

Written By: Apricot on 03/12/06 at 8:36 pm

Dare I say, I enjoyed it... it was a bit ridiculous at parts (them running from the sweeping ice-death-ray thing, etc.) but I liked it. It had a good message, too.

Check for new replies or respond here...