inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What songs have been ruined by today's TV commercials?

Written By: Coastal Influence on 03/07/06 at 3:21 pm

Subaru's commercial ruined:

Everyday Is A Winding Road - by Sheryl Crow

Subject: Re: What songs have been ruined by today's TV commercials?

Written By: barefootrobin on 03/07/06 at 3:24 pm

Boston Pizza Ruined "More Than A Feeling - Boston

Written By: Daveyd989 on 03/07/06 at 3:31 pm

I'd Do Anything For Love, Meatloaf for those dr. pepper commercials

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 03/08/06 at 7:57 am

Someone used AC/DC's "Back In Black" for a cell phone commercial I think??    Here I thought AC/DC was the band that refused to sell out.  Not cool.

Same thing with Led Zeppelin and "Rock and Roll" with the Cadillac commercial.

Written By: gmann on 03/08/06 at 12:55 pm

I used to be a hardliner about musicians licensing their music to sell stuff, but I've relaxed quite a bit since then.

Iggy Pop recently allowed some cruise line to use his song "Lust for Life" (minus the drug references, of course) as a backdrop for their ads, but you know what? I don't care. If Iggy wants to make a little extra dough off his creations, that's fine. He's earned it. For 90% of the groups that get a piece of the action for commercials, I'd say the same thing. As it is, a lot of musicians have been ripped off by publishers and their management over the years, so any cash they get now is pocket change compared to what they would have earned when the songs were current. I'm all for artistic integrity, but c'mon...can you honestly say you'd turn down a few thousand dollars for an opportunity at some national exposure? Think about it. How likely is it we Yanks would have ever heard Trio's "Da Da Da" if VW hadn't thought it a catchy soundtrack for the Bug? 

Naturally, all of the above is IMO. 

Written By: whistledog on 03/08/06 at 1:02 pm

This one wasn't officially used, but had it of been ... i'll let you be the judge ...

Preparation H wanted to use Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" for one of their commercials.  The Cash family said no ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...