inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Coldplay

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/08/06 at 1:47 am

I sort of wrote them off as being boring at first, not to mention their singer seems like an a**hole, but they have some really good songs.

Their music sounds like a mix of indie rock and U2, with some a-ha thrown in.

Subject: Re: Coldplay

Written By: whistledog on 03/08/06 at 1:50 am

All of their songs sound the same  :-\\

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/08/06 at 1:50 am

I like some of their stuff too, "Clocks" and "Speed of Sound" to name a few.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/08/06 at 1:51 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/08/06 at 1:52 am

"Speed of Sound" almost has an '80s quality to it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/08/06 at 1:57 am

"Speed of Sound" almost has an '80s quality to it.

I forget off the top of my head 'cause I only caught around half of the video on VH1 once, but is "Speed of Sound" their new single? If so, I'd agree with you.

I usually have the default channel on my VCR?DVD set to VH1, and just chances across it while I was switching a movie or something, but I was (pleasantly) VERY surprised how much I liked it, since I got so freakin' sick of "Clocks" - I didn't hate it, but found it kinda boring.

Hell, the video is almost even "80s-ish" (a spaceship or something, at nighttime if my memory is right). ;)

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/08/06 at 1:59 am

I forget off the top of my head 'cause I only caught around half of the video on VH1 once, but is "Speed of Sound" their new single? If so, I'd agree with you.

I usually have the default channel on my VCR?DVD set to VH1, and just chances across it while I was switching a movie or something, but I was (pleasantly) VERY surprised how much I liked it, since I got so freakin' sick of "Clocks" - I didn't hate it, but found it kinda boring.

Hell, the video is almost even "80s-ish" (a spaceship or something, at nighttime if my memory is right). ;)

"Speed of Sound" is the first single off X&Y, I think "Fix You" is the 2nd and "Talk" is the 3rd, but I'm not positive.

Written By: whistledog on 03/08/06 at 2:01 am

Like Creed? lol.

I can't even tell Creed songs apart ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/08/06 at 2:03 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/08/06 at 2:06 am

Creed suck!  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 03/08/06 at 2:18 am

Creed suck!  ;D

That would explain why they are so gay ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/08/06 at 8:23 am

I can't believe you haven't heard Coldplay's music, Brian06...I thought it was a physical impossibility for anyone on planet earth NOT to have heard 'Speed of Sound.' They were better in their early days (pre-'A Rush of Blood to the Head') and they used to be real darlings of the indie scene which such bands as Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Starsailor, even Supergrass. Though I think Supergrass are probably better than them...Never really liked Chris Martin that much...but he isn't that bad compared to others. But for naming his child after a fruit - that's inexusable even for a famous rock star.

Coldplay and Radiohead are like what Aerosmith was to the Rolling Stones.

Written By: gmann on 03/08/06 at 9:53 am

At one time, I too had a negative view of Chris Martin. However, my wife got me hooked on Coldplay after she picked up their second album. There's a lot of great music on that disc. My personal favorite from it is "God Put A Smile On Your Face"; dark, almost psychedelic rock. Very different from what they're known for by casual fans. I saw Coldplay in concert last year and I was not disappointed by their performance.  8)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/08/06 at 10:14 am

I like some of their stuff too, "Clocks" and "Speed of Sound" to name a few.

Those songs are my favorite too.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/08/06 at 12:20 pm

They're all right, I'm not a big fan...their music is a bit redudant, but it's certainly higher quality than most stuff currently out there. They're probably the "big band" of the '00s, in terms of rock.

Written By: paradisecity on 03/08/06 at 1:40 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Red Ant on 03/08/06 at 2:32 pm

I have X&Y and sorry Coldplay fans, it is a mediocre CD. The fact that nearly everything else today sucks though is why Coldplay is so big IMO.

Coldplay fans can leave nasty comments here:  ::)

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/coldplay51.shtml

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/08/06 at 3:34 pm

I have X&Y and sorry Coldplay fans, it is a mediocre CD. The fact that nearly everything else today sucks though is why Coldplay is so big IMO.

Coldplay fans can leave nasty comments here:  ::)

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/coldplay51.shtml

Exactly! This really is the nadir of current pop culture.

Written By: whistledog on 03/09/06 at 1:06 am

'Talk' by Coldplay has finally been knocked off the top of our Canadian top 40 charts.  The new #1 here is 'Who Says You Can't Go Home' by Bon Jovi  :)

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/09/06 at 1:56 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: gmann on 03/09/06 at 1:57 pm

Exactly! This really is the nadir of current pop culture.

You're forgiven.  ;)

Written By: Apricot on 03/09/06 at 4:28 pm

They're gonna go down as one of the biggest acts of the 2000s.

They slowly got worse and worse for me. "Yellow" was a fantastic song, then "The Scientist" was okay.. "Clocks" was absolutely unbearable... possibly the worst attempt at stream-of-conciousness I've ever heard. "Speed of Sound" is decent.. it sounds just like "Clocks", except he's not trying to sound different.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/09/06 at 5:03 pm

At one time, I too had a negative view of Chris Martin. However, my wife got me hooked on Coldplay after she picked up their second album. There's a lot of great music on that disc. My personal favorite from it is "God Put A Smile On Your Face"; dark, almost psychedelic rock. Very different from what they're known for by casual fans.
That's probably my favorite Coldplay song too.

Check for new replies or respond here...