inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Poker

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/09/06 at 12:48 pm

Isn't Poker huge right now in the zeroes?  With the World Poker Tour, Texas Hold Em, etc?
Maybe too huge.  ;D

Subject: Re: Poker

Written By: whistledog on 03/09/06 at 12:51 pm

Poker is now considered a sport.  They show it on all the sports channels  ::)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/09/06 at 12:51 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 03/09/06 at 12:53 pm

What's next, wiping your ass as a sport?  ;D

That wouldn't be a fair sport, cause those with diahhrea would easily be the winners ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/09/06 at 12:53 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/09/06 at 12:54 pm

Sport is defined as a physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Can Poker be discribed as a physical activity?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/09/06 at 1:40 pm

I LOVE poker and played just about all my life. However, I must admit that I have never even HEARD of Texas Hold 'Em until they started showing it on t.v.

I do enjoy watching the games (as long as we can see the players cards-I have seen some televised games where they didn't-how boring is that?). But to me, I would rather play with "the guys"-dealer's choice/penny ante and spend the night having a good time.

As for whether it is a "sport" or not, is debatable. They say it can be compared to sports because it takes skill (as well as a lot of luck) and there is a lot of pressure. It can be hard on the physical just sitting there for hours on end. Personally, I would deffinately watch a poker game over a golf game any day!  ;D

Cat

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/09/06 at 2:08 pm

Isn't Poker huge right now in the zeroes?  With the World Poker Tour, Texas Hold Em, etc?
Maybe too huge.  ;D
I can see where it might seem that this whole poker craze can seem a little overblown, and I myself almost never watch it on TV unless I'm really, really bored. However, it has also generated such a renewed interest in the game that people everywhere are hosting their own home games, which is a fun way to meet people and a great social icebreaker. (My younger brother met his girlfriend, who was a friend of a friend, at our poker games.) One of the things I miss most about Nebraska was that once the poker craze took off, my brothers and I had a circle of friends that would play every weekend and take turns hosting games at our houses. I wasn't exactly the best poker player around, but it was a great excuse to get a bunch of people together and have a few drinks and share a few laughs.
   I honestly believe, DD, that if you took the time to learn how to play Texas Hold 'Em (which, as the announcer from the World Series of Poker always likes to say, "takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master") and brought a few of your friends together for some home games, you'd have a lot of fun.  :)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/09/06 at 2:20 pm

Maybe too huge.  ;D

Poker is huge right now. I think poker is a pretty fun game to play but watching people play it on t.v, not so much.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/09/06 at 3:01 pm

I can see where it might seem that this whole poker craze can seem a little overblown, and I myself almost never watch it on TV unless I'm really, really bored. However, it has also generated such a renewed interest in the game that people everywhere are hosting their own home games, which is a fun way to meet people and a great social icebreaker. (My younger brother met his girlfriend, who was a friend of a friend, at our poker games.) One of the things I miss most about Nebraska was that once the poker craze took off, my brothers and I had a circle of friends that would play every weekend and take turns hosting games at our houses. I wasn't exactly the best poker player around, but it was a great excuse to get a bunch of people together and have a few drinks and share a few laughs.
   I honestly believe, DD, that if you took the time to learn how to play Texas Hold 'Em (which, as the announcer from the World Series of Poker always likes to say, "takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master") and brought a few of your friends together for some home games, you'd have a lot of fun.  :)

Oh Al I LOVE poker.  Except when I'm losing, and even then it's alright ;)

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/09/06 at 3:14 pm

Oh Al I LOVE poker.  Except when I'm losing, and even then it's alright ;)
Yeah, like I said I'm not all that good myself, but once in a while I'll get in the zone and start cleaning up.

But yeah, as far as the "poker=sports?" question goes, it's funny, because a lot of my poker buddies would watch these televised tournaments religiously, and they'd talk about these professional poker players as if they were pro atheletes.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/09/06 at 3:22 pm

Yeah, like I said I'm not all that good myself, but once in a while I'll get in the zone and start cleaning up.

But yeah, as far as the "poker=sports?" question goes, it's funny, because a lot of my poker buddies would watch these televised tournaments religiously, and they'd talk about these professional poker players as if they were pro atheletes.

How can one be a "pro poker player" anyway?  It's like half luck.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/09/06 at 3:27 pm

How can one be a "pro poker player" anyway?  It's like half luck.
Sure, but there's plenty of skill involved as well, especially when it comes to bluffing and reading your opponents. It's definitely a psychological game.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/09/06 at 3:28 pm

Sure, but there's plenty of skill involved as well, especially when it comes to bluffing and reading your opponents. It's definitely a psychological game.

That's true.

You know what's funny?  When I bet with some particular person, no matter what we're betting on I will always have similar luck with that same person, EVERY time I bet with them. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/09/06 at 6:01 pm

You can come play with us anytime. We love players who are not that good.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/09/06 at 6:09 pm

You can come play with us anytime. We love players who are not that good.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat
But then again, maybe I am. ;)

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/09/06 at 6:10 pm

I don't know that I'd call poker a sport, but certainly a game of skill. I'll say one thing, when the "craze" hit, it became a lot easier to find people willing to play, so I'm thankful for it!

Written By: sonikuu on 03/09/06 at 6:17 pm

I think everyone here is surprised at poker becoming big.  They even air it on ESPN (not ESPN2 or anything, the main ESPN).  The whole poker craze is going to so made fun of in 20 years.  ESPN showing poker is just too weird not to make fun of.  Oh well, I might as well enjoy it while it lasts cause I do like poker.  I'm just happy I'm not a poker junkie like some people I've met.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/10/06 at 10:14 am

[quote author=whis

Check for new replies or respond here...