inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Arctic Monkeys vs. Oasis

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/12/06 at 9:27 am

Hmm, I just heard their album, 'I Bet you look good on the dance-floor' for the first time (I know first album rants are really reliable), but going from the first listen. I'd heard the title track and 'When the Sun Goes Down', and quite liked the latter so decided to procure the album (okay, I didn't buy it). A few good tunes (the mentioned for instance), but overall its a bit dull and tuneless. I think the Monkeys are a bit-overhyped. They aren't a crap or really mediocre band, just no comparison to Oasis.

I'm not a HUGE Oasis fan (though I was sorely disappointed when I missed them in my hometown cos' I was on holiday), but I much prefer their music to the Arctic Monkeys. It is much more melodic (although in parts derivative), more varied, and well, you'll probably know. They'd invariably be compared, but do you think the Monkeys can really fill the shoes of Oasis and with Coldplay and Franz Ferdinand (as well as lesser bands such as the Kaiser Chiefs) precipitating the second coming of Britpop?
For me, while the Arctics are a decent band, and Franz Ferdinand and Coldplay are at least quality (compared to the other chart trash), I still think Britpop's final days are over.

Subject: Re: Arctic Monkeys vs. Oasis

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/06 at 9:31 am

I prefer the quality of the Oasis the Mancunians.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/13/06 at 8:51 am

I put it to over-hype...it's not how big a band's entrance is, but it's lasting prescence and appeal...

Written By: whistledog on 03/13/06 at 1:18 pm

I can't stand Oasis so I voted for Arctic Monkeys

Liam Gallagher had a baby with Nicole Appleton (From All Saints).  If they ever got married, that would give him ties to Canada, and I don't want that.  I hope they never get hitched ;D

Written By: Apricot on 03/13/06 at 6:56 pm

Oasis is awesome.. Arctic Monkeys are just... ghey.

Written By: paradisecity on 03/14/06 at 2:39 pm

Oasis used to be good, listen to Morning Glory and tell me they weren't.

Arctic Monkeys, lyrically, are good but can't match Oasis. The music sounds the same but the AM are so criminally overrated and not as good as people make them out to be.

I'd choose Oasis if I had to.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/15/06 at 8:50 am

I was waiting for someone to say that...for awhile, I thought the whole world had gone batty.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/16/06 at 3:48 am

Oasis of course.

The Arctic Monkeys still have to prove themselves worthy of all the current hype. Wait 'til album 2 and we'll see.

Written By: Carl on 03/16/06 at 11:53 am

Don't knoe The Arctic Monkeys, so Oasis

Check for new replies or respond here...