inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Some Thoughts on Generation Z and the 2010s

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/12/06 at 4:43 pm

Generation Z will reject tech, because they're so used to it, it won't have the intrigue it did for Generations X and Y. It will be their form of rebellion, I suppose. They will be so used to it they will rebel against blogging, iPods, cell phones, the corporate internet, the whole megillah. They will turn to zines and their own independent CDs. They will also reject the materialism and shallowness of Generation Y, and will probably see people born between say 1984-1989 with alot of hate, the same way Generation Z saw the peak boomers. They'll also be very anti-corporate and into pre-industrial traditions, in a way.

Generation Z will start its birth in 1995, as Donnie and I have agreed to. 2012-2013 will be the first "Z" year, probably, with 1995ers graduating HS that year, the same way 1982 was the first "X" year with Xers born in '64 graduating HS. The peak of "Z" culture will be the mid-2010s through the early 2020s, though the rest of the 2020s will still be Z, but not peak Z. They'll probably look at the aforementioned peak as the zenith of their culture.

They will also reject hip-hop culture, probably. They will like rock and singer-songwriter type stuff, and also maybe R&B.

Subject: Re: Some Thoughts on Generation Z and the 2010s

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/12/06 at 6:07 pm

As usual, I agree, especially on technology.

Unless some, just totally revolutionary, monumental stuff comes along, I don't see it being embraced the same way. Hell, a teen in 2015 (which isn't very long from now actually! It's only as far as right now was in 1997, which seems like practically yesterday!) won't find the Internet impressive if it's been around for twenty years, or blogging, cameraphones and Ipods if they've been around for ten.

You know, at times I've thought and wondered about this, but do you think it's possible we'll even regress a bit, just in what's popular? Like, teens will want to experience stuff before the Internet, or hell, even earlier (like, the '50s)? The same way that decades become "retro cool" after 20-25 years.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/12/06 at 6:45 pm

As usual, I agree, especially on technology.

Unless some, just totally revolutionary, monumental stuff comes along, I don't see it being embraced the same way. Hell, a teen in 2015 (which isn't very long from now actually! It's only as far as right now was in 1997, which seems like practically yesterday!) won't find the Internet impressive if it's been around for twenty years, or blogging, cameraphones and Ipods if they've been around for ten.

You know, at times I've thought and wondered about this, but do you think it's possible we'll even regress a bit, just in what's popular? Like, teens will want to experience stuff before the Internet, or hell, even earlier (like, the '50s)? The same way that decades become "retro cool" after 20-25 years.

Yeah, I agree with that...people will want to be experience typewriters and writing letters and other  very retro stuff. As I've said, I think the early-mid '90s before the internet became so widespread will be the target period, but there'll be overall pre-tech nostalgia.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/12/06 at 6:58 pm

I agree on the start years for z culture, 2012 or so seems right. I think they won't like hip-hop as much, but it will still exist as a more underground culture. Emo will be dead probably.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/13/06 at 7:50 am

Generation Z will reject tech, because they're so used to it, it won't have the intrigue it did for Generations X and Y. It will be their form of rebellion, I suppose. They will be so used to it they will rebel against blogging, iPods, cell phones, the corporate internet, the whole megillah. They will turn to zines and their own independent CDs. They will also reject the materialism and shallowness of Generation Y, and will probably see people born between say 1984-1989 with alot of hate, the same way Generation Z saw the peak boomers. They'll also be very anti-corporate and into pre-industrial traditions, in a way.

Generation Z will start its birth in 1995, as Donnie and I have agreed to. 2012-2013 will be the first "Z" year, probably, with 1995ers graduating HS that year, the same way 1982 was the first "X" year with Xers born in '64 graduating HS. The peak of "Z" culture will be the mid-2010s through the early 2020s, though the rest of the 2020s will still be Z, but not peak Z. They'll probably look at the aforementioned peak as the zenith of their culture.

They will also reject hip-hop culture, probably. They will like rock and singer-songwriter type stuff, and also maybe R&B.

Given what's happening to the economy, they'll be worker harder and longer to support the retiring Baby Boomers, have less earning capacity, paying more taxes, and few will be able to own their own homes. So there might be a whole hoard of people sick of being poor who revert to a primative lifestyle - like the second wave of the great unwashed. Eco-terrorism etc. might become popular...hmm, maybe. But about the technology, I think they will become so dependent on technology they will be afraid to go without it. I already feel deprived if I miss more than a few days on the net, or if I live away from civilisation for awhile. So yeah, I think Gen Z will be even more tech-savvy.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 12:37 pm

Given what's happening to the economy, they'll be worker harder and longer to support the retiring Baby Boomers, have less earning capacity, paying more taxes, and few will be able to own their own homes. So there might be a whole hoard of people sick of being poor who revert to a primative lifestyle - like the second wave of the great unwashed. Eco-terrorism etc. might become popular...hmm, maybe. But about the technology, I think they will become so dependent on technology they will be afraid to go without it. I already feel deprived if I miss more than a few days on the net, or if I live away from civilisation for awhile. So yeah, I think Gen Z will be even more tech-savvy.

I seriously doubt that, Gen Y is the generation who can't seem to imagine life without the internet. It'll become so standardized by then that there won't be as much interest in it, it'll be like TV or the telephone is to us today...they'll be tech-savvy, of course, but it won't be something that interests them, really. In order to rebel they'll leave the iPod behind.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/13/06 at 12:44 pm

Gen Z will totally reject everything about the 2000's. Glam rap/emo/ipod craze/internet/George Bush/hipsters/hip-hop culture etc. all will be rejected and any high-schooler in the 2010's that likes 2000's music will be laughed at(just like a high-schooler that liked 80's music in the 90's). 2013 will be the first complete Z year even though 2011/2012 and maybe even as early as 2009 will be leaning that way. I also agree that people in my age group(1984-1989) will be there main targets of ridicule as there the ultimate Gen Yers(I think 87ers will be the most hated because that year IMO is the absolute peak of Gen Y).

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 4:25 pm

Gen Z will totally reject everything about the 2000's. Glam rap/emo/ipod craze/internet/George Bush/hipsters/hip-hop culture etc. all will be rejected and any high-schooler in the 2010's that likes 2000's music will be laughed at(just like a high-schooler that liked 80's music in the 90's). 2013 will be the first complete Z year even though 2011/2012 and maybe even as early as 2009 will be leaning that way. I also agree that people in my age group(1984-1989) will be there main targets of ridicule as there the ultimate Gen Yers(I think 87ers will be the most hated because that year IMO is the absolute peak of Gen Y).

Yeah...the '00s will be about be as ridiculed in the '10s as the '80s were in the '90s...I agree '87ers will be the most hated, if they consciously target a year. '86-'88 really strikes me as the peak of the peak of Gen Y. Who agrees with me about the rejection of tech as part of their culture?

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/13/06 at 4:31 pm

Yeah...the '00s will be about be as ridiculed in the '10s as the '80s were in the '90s...I agree '87ers will be the most hated, if they consciously target a year. '86-'88 really strikes me as the peak of the peak of Gen Y. Who agrees with me about the rejection of tech as part of their culture?

I'm still not sure why anybody would reject technology. Do you think they'll throw away their digital cameras so they can use film?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 5:10 pm

I'm still not sure why anybody would reject technology. Do you think they'll throw away their digital cameras so they can use film?

To find spiritual fulfillment...something Gen Y very clearly isn't about. Throwing out a digital camera would be to the young Gen Z radicals a very anti-Y, anti-materialistic statement, very "grungy." Not quite, but I think there'll be people using pre-digital cameras, walkmans, collecting and making cassette tapes in the 2010s to find an alternative to the technopoly.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/13/06 at 5:14 pm

To find spiritual fulfillment...something Gen Y very clearly isn't about. Throwing out a digital camera would be to the young Gen Z radicals a very anti-Y, anti-materialistic statement, very "grungy." Not quite, but I think there'll be people using pre-digital cameras, walkmans, collecting and making cassette tapes in the 2010s to find an alternative to the technopoly.

Yea I guess, some may just be sick of the technology because they never really knew anything else.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 5:15 pm

Yea I guess, some may just be sick of the technology because they never really knew anything else.

Yeah, exactly...they'll be so damn used to a digital camera and an iPod it'll just be like a TV or a telephone.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/13/06 at 6:01 pm

Ipods will be replaced by somrthing more advanced, DVDs will be the thing of the past, replaced by HD DVD and Blu Ray, AND Hybrid cars will be more common place.

Music wise, grunge and most music from the early 90's will make a come back. Gone (or at least not as big) gangsta rap, Disney music, and emo.  Practully anything from the 00's will be made fun of big, time.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/13/06 at 7:13 pm

I agree that Gen Zers will long for the pre-digital age(1993 and before or maybe 1997 and before) mostly because they will never get to experince what the world was like without high-tech gadgets and the internet etc. so much so that they will probably reject the Gen Y notion of being on the cutting edge of technology and want to scale down to seperate itself from its precursor.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 10:05 pm

Ipods will be replaced by somrthing more advanced, DVDs will be the thing of the past, replaced by HD DVD and Blu Ray, AND Hybrid cars will be more common place.

Music wise, grunge and most music from the early 90's will make a come back. Gone (or at least not as big) gangsta rap, Disney music, and emo.  Practully anything from the 00's will be made fun of big, time.

I don't think HD DVD and Blu Ray will ever totally catch on, it'll be more of an "action movie" sort of thing, at least not until the 2020s. Si, Generation Z will long to experience a more low-tech world, rejecting the high-tech one as silly and materialistic, and bad for the soul. I think we'll see a revival of secular spiritualism in the 2010s, along those lines.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/14/06 at 4:22 am

I don't think HD DVD and Blu Ray will ever totally catch on, it'll be more of an "action movie" sort of thing, at least not until the 2020s. Si, Generation Z will long to experience a more low-tech world, rejecting the high-tech one as silly and materialistic, and bad for the soul. I think we'll see a revival of secular spiritualism in the 2010s, along those lines.

I don't see man vinyl loyalists (they were common in the 90s) and the Walkmen, portable CD-player, VCR won't catch on again because they are simply INFERIOR (I'm sad to say) in terms of convenience, capability to modern DVD/HD players. So it's not so much a question of rejecting technology to be 'anti-materialistic' but succumbing to technology because it's simply getting better.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/14/06 at 11:35 am

I don't see man vinyl loyalists (they were common in the 90s) and the Walkmen, portable CD-player, VCR won't catch on again because they are simply INFERIOR (I'm sad to say) in terms of convenience, capability to modern DVD/HD players. So it's not so much a question of rejecting technology to be 'anti-materialistic' but succumbing to technology because it's simply getting better.

I'd agree. I dont think that VCR and the like will ever catch on again in terms of being sold commercially in stores agian but I think that VHS will probably be pretty popular with Zers for the nostalgia factor. Kind of like vinyl before it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/14/06 at 2:11 pm

Alot of people don't think quite that way, though...if they want to use a Walkman or a VCR, they'll use a walkman or a VCR. Or maybe it'll be a 2010s trend to be bare-bones tech...like no iPod, no MySpace, sort of thing. I still hold to my belief there'll be a Gen Z tech backlash.

Written By: sonikuu on 03/14/06 at 4:11 pm

There may be a small backlash, but it won't go into the mainstream by any means.  Generation Z won't rebel against the internet and technology at all, for the most part.  It's become a part of their life, just like how tv has become.  Did the Baby Boomers and Generation X rebel against tv or radio?  Certainly not, they couldn't imagine life without it!  At most, a backlash will come in the form of being curious for the pre-internet days of the early to mid 90's, and some revival of the trends during that time.  That's as far as it will go, however.  They've grown up with the internet from birth.  It won't be new to them, it will be part of them.

I do think Generation Z will be more rebellious than it's predecessor though.  Some form of rebellious rock music will become popular, most likely being a great deal influenced by early 90's Grunge.  Also, rap will remain popular, but it won't dominate like it is now.  I also think a form of Hardcore Rap will become popular, perhaps influenced by the Gangsta Rap of the 90's.  No matter what anyone says, 00's Rap is not Gangsta Rap.  Gangsta Rap died out in the mainstream back in the late 90's.  Rap has progressed in a startlingly similar way to the way rock music evolved.  Since the party atmosphere of 80's rock was destroyed by dark 90's rock, I predict Rap will follow a similar course.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/14/06 at 5:02 pm

There may be a small backlash, but it won't go into the mainstream by any means.  Generation Z won't rebel against the internet and technology at all, for the most part.  It's become a part of their life, just like how tv has become.  Did the Baby Boomers and Generation X rebel against tv or radio?  Certainly not, they couldn't imagine life without it!  At most, a backlash will come in the form of being curious for the pre-internet days of the early to mid 90's, and some revival of the trends during that time.  That's as far as it will go, however.  They've grown up with the internet from birth.  It won't be new to them, it will be part of them.

I do think Generation Z will be more rebellious than it's predecessor though.  Some form of rebellious rock music will become popular, most likely being a great deal influenced by early 90's Grunge.  Also, rap will remain popular, but it won't dominate like it is now.  I also think a form of Hardcore Rap will become popular, perhaps influenced by the Gangsta Rap of the 90's.  No matter what anyone says, 00's Rap is not Gangsta Rap.  Gangsta Rap died out in the mainstream back in the late 90's.  Rap has progressed in a startlingly similar way to the way rock music evolved.  Since the party atmosphere of 80's rock was destroyed by dark 90's rock, I predict Rap will follow a similar course.

I don't think it'll be so much a backlash towards all tech, but in the '10s I think it'll be a popular "lifestyle choice" to give up excessive internet time, MySpace, iPods, digital cameras, fancy cell phones...this might start surfacing in the late '00s but it'll peak in the '10s. It'll probably be something of an underground thing first, and then there'll be a self-help book written about personal fulfillment and how limiting expensive tech helps that.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/15/06 at 10:46 am

I don't think it'll be so much a backlash towards all tech, but in the '10s I think it'll be a popular "lifestyle choice" to give up excessive internet time, MySpace, iPods, digital cameras, fancy cell phones...this might start surfacing in the late '00s but it'll peak in the '10s. It'll probably be something of an underground thing first, and then there'll be a self-help book written about personal fulfillment and how limiting expensive tech helps that.

Yeah, I mean these days modern technologies like the internet are nessecities so I dont think that people in the 10's will be able to reject it but like I've said the notion of being on the cutting edge of tech is very 2000's very Gen Y and will be rebeled against in the 10's.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/15/06 at 4:46 pm

Yeah, I mean these days modern technologies like the internet are nessecities so I dont think that people in the 10's will be able to reject it but like I've said the notion of being on the cutting edge of tech is very 2000's very Gen Y and will be rebeled against in the 10's.

However, there might be a growing fringe of "alternative" types rejecting the internet totally, and along with this, a trend towards giving up your cell phone with little games on it and your movie iPod towards having bare necessities mp3 players and cell phones.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/15/06 at 5:34 pm

However, there might be a growing fringe of "alternative" types rejecting the internet totally, and along with this, a trend towards giving up your cell phone with little games on it and your movie iPod towards having bare necessities mp3 players and cell phones.

Yeah there'll probably be some of those in Gen Z.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/15/06 at 5:45 pm

Yeah there'll probably be some of those in Gen Z.

Of course, I think the latter things I mentioned seem more likely.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/15/06 at 7:35 pm

Of course, I think the latter things I mentioned seem more likely.

Yeah I'd agree something like podcast for example might be seen as "very Y" and ridiculed in the 10's.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/15/06 at 8:37 pm

Of course, the internet will have evolved to some degree by 2010 (don't ask me how), so may take on a whole new significance by the time 2015 comes along. Just think of the difference between 10 years ago and now...

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/15/06 at 10:29 pm

Of course, the internet will have evolved to some degree by 2010 (don't ask me how), so may take on a whole new significance by the time 2015 comes along. Just think of the difference between 10 years ago and now...

But then and again, through history, there are periods of rapid advancement and then slow development in terms of technology.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/16/06 at 3:22 pm

Gen Z, (1995-1997 would be my start for the Gen, 2009-2012 for the end of it) will probably be even more technological than Gen Y, but I definitely think they will resent the freedoms they will lose from it. 

Their culture will be very unlike that of Gen Y, and also unlike Gen X, although since the Xers are the parents of the Zers they will have some connections with them.  This will begin around 2008, when people younger than Dakota Fanning start becoming teenagers (and I hate to say, I think there will be a new wave of teen pop around the turn of the decade, although it will be "smarter" music than the late '90s pop). 2012/2013 will be the time when us Ys are totally disenfrancished of our popular culture (thank God!  ;D).

I think Gen Z will be a much better generation, although I'm proud to be a mid-to-late Gen Yer.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/16/06 at 4:59 pm

Gen Z, (1995-1997 would be my start for the Gen, 2009-2012 for the end of it) will probably be even more technological than Gen Y, but I definitely think they will resent the freedoms they will lose from it. 

Their culture will be very unlike that of Gen Y, and also unlike Gen X, although since the Xers are the parents of the Zers they will have some connections with them.  This will begin around 2008, when people younger than Dakota Fanning start becoming teenagers (and I hate to say, I think there will be a new wave of teen pop around the turn of the decade, although it will be "smarter" music than the late '90s pop). 2012/2013 will be the time when us Ys are totally disenfrancished of our popular culture (thank God!  ;D).

I think Gen Z will be a much better generation, although I'm proud to be a mid-to-late Gen Yer.

They will be even more technological and used to tech, but it will be so standard and uninteresting to them they will look towards other avenues for fulfillment and pleasure. That's incontestable.

I'm not terribly proud to be a peak Gen Yer.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/16/06 at 5:49 pm

2012/2013 will be the time when us Ys are totally disenfrancished of our popular culture (thank God!  ;D).

:\'( 6 more years to go.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/16/06 at 10:54 pm

Tony I agree with your assesment on Z.  I can totally see the tech backlash happening. 

I'm looking forward to it.  Hope it happens.  I want to be an honorary Gen Zer in that case, becoming part of that counterculture.  Remember, a lot of the most important hippies back in the 60s weren't actually Boomers, they were Silent generation.  Like John Lennon.  He was born in 1940.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/16/06 at 10:57 pm

I can't wait to be the cool older dude, hehe.

Btw I'm already kind of doing this on my own.

I own a typewriter which I love to use.  There IS something more fulfilling in a way about typing out each letter with care the way you do on a typewriter, and actually see the physical manifestation of your work as it happens.

Also here at my uncle's house we wash dishes in the sink and put them in a drainer, we don't use a dishwasher.  And we also use a real old-fashioned kettle over the microwave when making tea and the like.  I think it's cool as hell. 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/16/06 at 11:02 pm

They will be even more technological and used to tech, but it will be so standard and uninteresting to them they will look towards other avenues for fulfillment and pleasure. That's incontestable.

I'm not terribly proud to be a peak Gen Yer.

Oh, for sure.

I'm not hugely proud of being a Peak Yer either, but at least I can remember the tail end of the 20th Century.  Being born in the 21st Century, that would suck big time.  At least I was born in 1990 and not 2000.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/16/06 at 11:06 pm

Oh, for sure.

I'm not hugely proud of being a Peak Yer either, but at least I can remember the tail end of the 20th Century.  Being born in the 21st Century, that would suck big time.  At least I was born in 1990 and not 2000.

Yeah thats the one thing I truely am proud of being a peak Yer.  Well, and also growing up during the "Clinton age". 

I think it's for that reason(peak Yers being the last ones to really remember the pre-digital days) that alot of the leaders of the backlash against technocorporatism in the 2010s will actually be peak Yers, not Zers themselves.  As i said thats how it was with the hippies in the 60s, the leaders were older.

I always said I felt more like a Boomer.  It may turn out I'll be more of a Zer. ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/16/06 at 11:12 pm

Yeah thats the one thing I truely am proud of being a peak Yer.  Well, and also growing up during the "Clinton age". 

I think it's for that reason(peak Yers being the last ones to really remember the pre-digital days) that alot of the leaders of the backlash against technocorporatism in the 2010s will actually be peak Yers, not Zers themselves.  As i said thats how it was with the hippies in the 60s, the leaders were older.

I always said I felt more like a Boomer.  It may turn out I'll be more of a Zer. ;)

Definitely.

I've said I think 1989ish to 1994 is the latter end of Y, and could still at least remember the transitional phase of 1993-2000 between the Analog and Digital ages (this span could probably be extended much further in some countries).  I think the 1989-1994 crowd will be the entertainers and figures of Z, just like 1940-1945ers were the "figures" of the Boomers and 1958-1964s identified with the Xers (to take that further, many, many people born in the 1968-1980 period entertain Yers).

I also think that those born in the 1984-1990 period will be "arrogant" towards the younger Yers of the 1991-1996 period and automatically lump them into Z and say they can't remember crap about the 1990s.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/16/06 at 11:15 pm

Definitely.

I've said I think 1989ish to 1994 is the latter end of Y, and could still at least remember the transitional phase of 1993-2000 between the Analog and Digital ages (this span could probably be extended much further in some countries).  I think the 1989-1994 crowd will be the entertainers and figures of Z, just like 1940-1945ers were the "figures" of the Boomers and 1958-1964s identified with the Xers (to take that further, many, many people born in the 1968-1980 period entertain Yers).

I also think that those born in the 1984-1990 period will be "arrogant" towards the younger Yers of the 1991-1996 period and automatically lump them into Z and say they can't remember crap about the 1990s.

I'm not like that at all, I think at least those born in the early '90s are full Gen Yers. Even though they don't remember the '90s so much they are a main part of the key gen y '00s culture. I also think that the mid '90s born are gen y, but they're late gen y and not as big of gen yers as we are.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/16/06 at 11:17 pm

I'm not like that at all, I think at least those born in the early '90s are full Gen Yers. Even though they don't remember the '90s so much they are a main part of the key gen y '00s culture. I also think that the mid '90s born are gen y, but they're late gen y and not as big of gen yers as we are.

Yeah, I definitely notice a gap between the early and middle '90s born.  The mid '90s kids seem more like the late '90s kids, whereas the late '80s and early '90s kids are more or less the same people.  Mid '80s is very Y too, but I think they still have some commonalities with Gen X.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/16/06 at 11:23 pm

Yeah, I definitely notice a gap between the early and middle '90s born.  The mid '90s kids seem more like the late '90s kids, whereas the late '80s and early '90s kids are more or less the same people.  Mid '80s is very Y too, but I think they still have some commonalities with Gen X.

I don't really see the similarites between the mid '80s and gen x, 1986 is mid '80s for example and many '86ers were in the same grade as me, I guess because I'm so close to the mid '80s I pretty much don't see a difference.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/16/06 at 11:27 pm

I don't really see the similarites between the mid '80s and gen x, 1986 is mid '80s for example and many '86ers were in the same grade as me, I guess because I'm so close to the mid '80s I pretty much don't see a difference.

Well I think 1986 is where it becomes 100% Y, 1985ers still have a bit of an X tendency since they can remember the late '80s a little and were truly around for the early '90s.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/16/06 at 11:32 pm

Well I think 1986 is where it becomes 100% Y, 1985ers still have a bit of an X tendency since they can remember the late '80s a little and were truly around for the early '90s.

Yea I guess they might have a slight x tendency in them especially early 85ers, I still of think of them a full gen yers. It's the early '80s 1980-82 ones that I think are kind of in between x and y.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/16/06 at 11:39 pm

I kind of agree with the theory of there being sub-generations.  My brother ws born in 1977 and although he is definitely an Xer, he has some Y tendencies that those just a little older than him seem to be missing.  I'd say those born in the late 70s(77-79) and the early 80s(80-82) are the sub-generation between X and Y.  I like the term Mtv Generation.

To me the real Y generation are those born 1983-1992.  I'd say those born 1993-1999 are the sub-generation or "cusp" between Y and Z.  I'm not sure what to call it, though. Perhaps Generation 9/11?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/16/06 at 11:52 pm

Definitely.

I agree with that, there will be some very snooty 1984-1990 "peak Yers" who will discredit the early '90s period, because they can't remember the Macarena and early Nickelodeon and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I think from knowing 1982 people, they still have some X tendencies but they seem to be more Y than X in alot of ways, having come of age c. 1998. But their memories of the '80s and early-mid '90s give them X tendencies...they still get the "'80s vibe" as something they remember, which probably ends with alot of people c. 1984/1985 in terms of getting a really true '80s vibe.

Didn't we agree Gen Y ended for the most part in 1994, and it became more Gen Z in 1995? Wait, I care about this too much...but we will be the Z entertainers. I think Z culture will explode in 2013 when three 24-25 year old musicians become extremely successful, born c. 1989, and will dominate teen peak Z culture, the way the three '58ers, Prince, MJ, and Madonna, dominated X culture in the '80s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/16/06 at 11:55 pm

I agree with that, there will be some very snooty 1984-1990 "peak Yers" who will discredit the early '90s period, because they can't remember the Macarena and early Nickelodeon and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I think from knowing 1982 people, they still have some X tendencies but they seem to be more Y than X in alot of ways, having come of age c. 1998. But their memories of the '80s and early-mid '90s give them X tendencies...they still get the "'80s vibe" as something they remember, which probably ends with alot of people c. 1984/1985 in terms of getting a really true '80s vibe.

Didn't we agree Gen Y ended for the most part in 1994, and it became more Gen Z in 1995? Wait, I care about this too much...but we will be the Z entertainers. I think Z culture will explode in 2013 when three 24-25 year old musicians become extremely successful, born c. 1989, and will dominate teen peak Z culture, the way the three '58ers, Prince, MJ, and Madonna, dominated X culture in the '80s.

I think 1995 and 1996 can go either way, depending on how much they remember.  But yeah, I generally think of them as more Z, of anything, but if they have a good enough memory to remember Y2K and the 9/11 atmosphere I think they can squeeze in as Yers.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/17/06 at 12:08 am

I think 1995 and 1996 can go either way, depending on how much they remember.  But yeah, I generally think of them as more Z, of anything, but if they have a good enough memory to remember Y2K and the 9/11 atmosphere I think they can squeeze in as Yers.

But then and again, alot of '66 Xers remember the whole hippie atmosphere, it doesn't make them boomers.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/17/06 at 12:34 am

But then and again, alot of '66 Xers remember the whole hippie atmosphere, it doesn't make them boomers.

True.  But you touch down on an interesting point.

It goes along with my sub-generation theory(which was kind of ignored :P ).

I have an older cousin who was born in 1966, and although he most definitely Generation X, you can tell very easily he has alot of Boomer influence.  His favorite music afterall is The Moody Blues and Bob Marley.  And his attitude overall seems to have some Boomer influence.  He's not quite as cynical and jaded in his worldview as a lot of Xers are. 

Most of the time those born in 65 and 66 are considered Generation X.  But I'd say while they are probably so, they seem to have some Boomer influence.  I'd say perhaps those born in the mid 60s(63-66) could be considered the subgeneration between Baby Boomers and Generation X. I think part of the reason they're different from Xers born from say, 1967 to 1976 is that they were old enough to have strong memories of the Hippie era(1967-1973).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/17/06 at 11:05 am

True.  But you touch down on an interesting point.

It goes along with my sub-generation theory(which was kind of ignored :P ).

I have an older cousin who was born in 1966, and although he most definitely Generation X, you can tell very easily he has alot of Boomer influence.  His favorite music afterall is The Moody Blues and Bob Marley.  And his attitude overall seems to have some Boomer influence.  He's not quite as cynical and jaded in his worldview as a lot of Xers are. 

Most of the time those born in 65 and 66 are considered Generation X.  But I'd say while they are probably so, they seem to have some Boomer influence.  I'd say perhaps those born in the mid 60s(63-66) could be considered the subgeneration between Baby Boomers and Generation X. I think part of the reason they're different from Xers born from say, 1967 to 1976 is that they were old enough to have strong memories of the Hippie era(1967-1973).

This is very true. Take 1964 for example which is universaly considered the first X year. Well someone born in that year would get some major 70's credit(they would be 16 by the end of the decade) and the 70's is THE boomer decade is it not? My dad(a '64er) likes alot of 70's rock but also 80's rock as well. Also a '64er could have very well been somewhat into disco in the late 70's as well.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/17/06 at 11:17 am

This is very true. Take 1964 for example which is universaly considered the first X year. Well someone born in that year would get some major 70's credit(they would be 16 by the end of the decade) and the 70's is THE boomer decade is it not? My dad(a '64er) likes alot of 70's rock but also 80's rock as well. Also a '64er could have very well been somewhat into disco in the late 70's as well.

I think '64 is often considered the last Boomer year.

People born in the 1965-1967 realm seem a lot older than post-1967ers, who are like older versions of me in some ways.  I wouldn't see someone born after 1970 as a parental figure as they would have to be 20 or less to father me; they're more like older cousins (in fact, I think my oldest cousin was born New Year's 1970 or 1971).

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/06 at 8:17 pm

Generation Z?  Is that like the sleep generation? ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/17/06 at 9:02 pm

Personally I don't like the terms Generation Y and Generation Z.

For "Y" I prefer Echo Boomer, or Millenial.

For "Z" I think iGeneration might be a good term, since they will be the first generation to not remember the analog days, just digital.  Or maybe Generation 9/11?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/06 at 9:19 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: paradisecity on 03/18/06 at 5:19 am

Personally I don't like the terms Generation Y and Generation Z.

For "Y" I prefer Echo Boomer, or Millenial.

For "Z" I think iGeneration might be a good term, since they will be the first generation to not remember the analog days, just digital.  Or maybe Generation 9/11?

Well I don't like any terms for generations, it's like everyone who lives in it likes the same thing as the majority. Probably not what you're saying at all but it's like people are catergorizing everyone..

But yeah, "Z" definatley is iGeneration.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/18/06 at 5:58 am

The Baby Boomers were the 'we-generation'
Gen X the 'me-generation'
And Gen Y the 'i-generation'

???

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/20/06 at 11:38 am

The Baby Boomers were the 'we-generation'
Gen X the 'me-generation'
And Gen Y the 'i-generation'

???

Aren't they calling Gen Z generation fat? :-\\

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/20/06 at 11:40 am

Aren't they calling Gen Z generation fat? :-\\

That's a terrible name. They've got to think of something better.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/20/06 at 11:44 am

That's a terrible name. They've got to think of something better.

Yeah, if they cant come up with a better nickname than that they need to just give it up ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/20/06 at 5:50 pm

The "post-post-post-modern" generation.... ;D.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/21/06 at 8:57 am

The "post-post-post-modern" generation.... ;D.

??? We're only really in the 'Post-Modern' era (I think the Cold War was the end of the 'Modern' era, or WWII, I don't know the definition, don't care too much, anyway), I'm sure they'll think of something soon enough.

Written By: Ebontyne on 03/21/06 at 11:09 am

??? We're only really in the 'Post-Modern' era (I think the Cold War was the end of the 'Modern' era, or WWII, I don't know the definition, don't care too much, anyway), I'm sure they'll think of something soon enough.

Exactly. A generation will get named appropriately once its dominant characteristics become more apparent, and -- due to unseen trends and events -- those characteristics can't necessarily be predicted before then. "Generation Z" might be an alright term for now, but because that demographic is still mostly made up of babies there won't be an appropriate name until they've grown up and made their mark on society and culture, like every generation does.

I actually quite like the term "iGeneration" for so-called "Generation Y" ... it captures the technologically-driven nature of the times, while hinting at a kind of selfishness or moral apathy at the heart of it all.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/21/06 at 11:22 am

^Yeah I agree, "iGeneration" is a very good nickname for Gen Y.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/21/06 at 12:31 pm

Exactly. A generation will get named appropriately once its dominant characteristics become more apparent, and -- due to unseen trends and events -- those characteristics can't necessarily be predicted before then. "Generation Z" might be an alright term for now, but because that demographic is still mostly made up of babies there won't be an appropriate name until they've grown up and made their mark on society and culture, like every generation does.

I actually quite like the term "iGeneration" for so-called "Generation Y" ... it captures the technologically-driven nature of the times, while hinting at a kind of selfishness or moral apathy at the heart of it all.

It's sort of a combination of our "Me Generation" (the baby boomers) characteristics combined with our tech savvy, and putting them together to show our status-obsessed materialism. BTW, I think alot of people think this is a problem with our generation, mostly Xers and Silent gen people.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/07/06 at 4:34 pm

To bring this back, I wonder: will the '10s or 2020s be the prime Z decade? The '20s may share it with the next generation, but the '10s will be partially Y.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/07/06 at 5:38 pm

I think it'll be the mid 2010s-early 2020s, as a whole the 2020s will see the emergence of the children of Yers as opposed to Zers. If a peak Generation Zer is born in like 2002 or so, that would work out well.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/07/06 at 5:50 pm

I think it'll be the mid 2010s-early 2020s, as a whole the 2020s will see the emergence of the children of Yers as opposed to Zers. If a peak Generation Zer is born in like 2002 or so, that would work out well.

Let me try to calculate the peak of Z.  If Gen X is understood as 1964-1981, Gen Y as 1978-1994 and Gen Z as 1995-2012, well the Brat Packers are like 1966-1972 I'd say, which is like 2 to 9 years within Gen Y.  Peak Gen Y is like 1984 to 1990, but the absolute peak is about 1988, so I'd say peak Gen Z would be about 1998 to 2004 born.  So if your 2002-born Gen Zer would be 13 in 2015, and 18 in 2020, so yeah I'd say the peak of Z will be around the year 2020.  It'll be like the mid 2010s to the late 2020s that would be their era, so overall I'd say the 2020s are their "central decade".

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/07/06 at 5:54 pm

Let me try to calculate the peak of Z.  If Gen X is understood as 1964-1981, Gen Y as 1978-1994 and Gen Z as 1995-2012, well the Brat Packers are like 1966-1972 I'd say, which is like 2 to 9 years within Gen Y.  Peak Gen Y is like 1984 to 1990, but the absolute peak is about 1988, so I'd say peak Gen Z would be about 1998 to 2004 born.  So if your 2002-born Gen Zer would be 13 in 2015, and 18 in 2020, so yeah I'd say the peak of Z will be around the year 2020.  It'll be like the mid 2010s to the late 2020s that would be their era, so overall I'd say the 2020s are their "central decade".

I think the 2010s will be more Z than the '20s, it'll be the '90s of the Zers, being very Z  (if not peak Z) at the beginning and middle, and gradating towards AA at the end. I think the Gen X era was like 1982-1997. Probably the early 2010s will even see some Z stuff.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/07/06 at 6:01 pm

I think the 2010s will be more Z than the '20s, it'll be the '90s of the Zers, being very Z  (if not peak Z) at the beginning and middle, and gradating towards AA at the end. I think the Gen X era was like 1982-1997. Probably the early 2010s will even see some Z stuff.

Well, here's how I see it: the Gen X era spanned about 16 years or so.  The Gen Y era began around 1997, although possibly not until 1999, and is currently just over its late 2004-early 2005 peak.  Gen Y is as long a generation as X, so thus it will also probably have about 15 years of dominance, which would run out around 2012.  Thus Z is about 2013-2028.  Then 2013-2019 would be the domain of people born from about 1988-2010 in the very widest sense, assuming "your time" is from about age 9-25, but it would really center on around 1995-2003 born people, so yeah I think the '10s will be very much controlled by early Z and the latest Gen Yers (hell, I'll probably consider the early tens part of my time).  The 2020s would be more the era of people born from 2005-2013, which is latter Z, so yeah I'd say they'll end up being more or less equally Z, with Y having the beginning of the '10s and the next gen getting the late '20s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/07/06 at 6:07 pm

Well, here's how I see it: the Gen X era spanned about 16 years or so.  The Gen Y era began around 1997, although possibly not until 1999, and is currently just over its late 2004-early 2005 peak.  Gen Y is as long a generation as X, so thus it will also probably have about 15 years of dominance, which would run out around 2012.  Thus Z is about 2013-2028.  Then 2013-2019 would be the domain of people born from about 1988-2010 in the very widest sense, assuming "your time" is from about age 9-25, but it would really center on around 1995-2003 born people, so yeah I think the '10s will be very much controlled by early Z and the latest Gen Yers (hell, I'll probably consider the early tens part of my time).  The 2020s would be more the era of people born from 2005-2013, which is latter Z, so yeah I'd say they'll end up being more or less equally Z, with Y having the beginning of the '10s and the next gen getting the late '20s.

Yeah, agreed. The 2010s and 2020s will be equally Z in the way the '80s and '90s were roughly equally X, but different kinds of X.

Written By: Bladerunner on 04/09/06 at 8:14 pm

I agree that Gen Zers will long for the pre-digital age(1993 and before or maybe 1997 and before) mostly because they will never get to experince what the world was like without high-tech gadgets and the internet etc. so much so that they will probably reject the Gen Y notion of being on the cutting edge of technology and want to scale down to seperate itself from its precursor.

I find this to be an interesting and likely idea... Technically I'm Y (born in '88) but I don't feel Y. I long for the pre-digital era again.

Written By: Chetan on 10/12/09 at 6:59 pm

I don't think the 10's will be a truly "Z" decade. I usually define Generation Z as those born after 9/11 onwards, up until now or a little afterwards. Basically anyone born in the 2000's and early 2010's. If you think about it, the period of the mid-late 60's and early-mid 70's was Generation X's birth years. The mid-late 80's and early-mid 90's was Generation Y's birth years. The late 70's-early 80's was a cusp generation I'd say between X and Y, the teens of the mid-late 90's so to speak. The late 50's-early 60's was a cusp between the Boomers and X. Likewise, I think the children you guys refer to as Z, the babies of the late 90's-early 2000's should be considered a cusp generation of sorts, considering how the culture is going. It also depends on how you define Z. Who says you had to remember everything of the 90's to be a Y'er. The early 2000's had enough elements to have a 90'esque feel.
As for Generation Z proper, I'd say those born in this decade and the early years of the 10's will be Generation Z proper. The 10's will be for them what the 90's were for us Y'ers. Their peak decade, to me, will be the '20's and the early '30's. The early part of the '10's will still be Y imo. The mid-late part of the next decade should arguably be a kind of cusp generation between Y and Z.
I can't say what though.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/12/09 at 9:06 pm

2010's will still be a Generation Y decade (all of it)! But it is also a mix of Generation Z because all the kids born in 1997 are 13, making it THEIR decade also.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/12/09 at 9:11 pm

This is based on my idea that Generation Y kids are born between 1981-1996 and Generation Z are born 1997-2011.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/13/09 at 5:17 pm

Gen Z will be slightly fearless because they never really saw 9/11 and the 2010's will be a revival of the 90's.

I hope 2010's will be a better decade than the 2000's.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/13/09 at 7:32 pm

Gen Z will be slightly fearless because they never really saw 9/11 and the 2010's will be a revival of the 90's.

I hope 2010's will be a better decade than the 2000's.

I hope the 2010's will be better too!

Written By: whistledog on 10/14/09 at 5:47 pm

I don't think the 10's will be a truly "Z" decade. I usually define Generation Z as those born after 9/11 onwards, up until now or a little afterwards. Basically anyone born in the 2000's and early 2010's. If you think about it, the period of the mid-late 60's and early-mid 70's was Generation X's birth years. The mid-late 80's and early-mid 90's was Generation Y's birth years. The late 70's-early 80's was a cusp generation I'd say between X and Y, the teens of the mid-late 90's so to speak. The late 50's-early 60's was a cusp between the Boomers and X. Likewise, I think the children you guys refer to as Z, the babies of the late 90's-early 2000's should be considered a cusp generation of sorts, considering how the culture is going. It also depends on how you define Z. Who says you had to remember everything of the 90's to be a Y'er. The early 2000's had enough elements to have a 90'esque feel.
As for Generation Z proper, I'd say those born in this decade and the early years of the 10's will be Generation Z proper. The 10's will be for them what the 90's were for us Y'ers. Their peak decade, to me, will be the '20's and the early '30's. The early part of the '10's will still be Y imo. The mid-late part of the next decade should arguably be a kind of cusp generation between Y and Z.
I can't say what though.

But if X is to Y as Y is to X, then what is X over Y.  In 2010, the X will be more than the Y than it was in the 90s when the Y was to the X what the A was to the B.  When the new generation hits, it will be equal to the value of X over Y, but in the case that it's Y over X, then you must determine if X leaves Chicago at 4:10pm going 50 clicks and Y leaves Cincinnati at 2:54pm going 70 clicks, at what day and time do they meet in Los Angeles?

Written By: Davester on 10/14/09 at 6:02 pm

Thread locked...

Mind your Xs and Ys...

Check for new replies or respond here...