inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How Will the '00s Be Seen?/Are the '00s a Well-Liked Decade?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/12/06 at 10:54 pm

I would say it depends, the '00s are a love 'em or leave 'em decade like the '80s, not like the '70s and '90s, which are far more multifaceted and everybody can find something to like in. There are probably lots of peak Generation Yers, born say 1984-1990, who will stick with them through their life, and even lots of Generation Xers like them...however, I think even late Generation Yers won't be as eager to stick by them. If you like things being "aesthetically pleasing", super-Disneyified and corporatified, and fancy, you'll love the '00s. Also, if you love reality TV and glam rap and indie rock, you'll love the '00s. I think alot of aging Y hipsters will hate the '10s in one way or another.

But, as people have said on this board, everybody idealizes things in retrospect, as does the media, so probably by the mid-2020s when most young people won't remember them anymore or be part of the 2010s backlash against the 2000s, they'll be idealized. I can already see people idealizing them as a magical decade of fun glam rap, reality TV, and vulgar celebrities, because they won't get the reality of them, and alot of peak Gen Yers idealizing them excessively as a carefree time in the future....especially since alot of Gen Y is too materialistic to realize all the things wrong with this decade.

They're a somewhat well-liked decade, but not terribly, and certainly not as well liked as the '60s or the '90s. They're a love 'em or leave 'em decade.

Subject: Re: How Will the '00s Be Seen?/Are the '00s a Well-Liked Decade?

Written By: Apricot on 03/13/06 at 5:08 am

Considering the rate everyone over the age of 25 bitches about culture, I'd say this isn't gonna be a well-liked decade. But then, the 30s were sucky and war-ridden, but they were Romanticized later.. maybe it'll change. But it sure ain't liked now.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/13/06 at 8:53 am

I would say it depends, the '00s are a love 'em or leave 'em decade like the '80s, not like the '70s and '90s, which are far more multifaceted and everybody can find something to like in. There are probably lots of peak Generation Yers, born say 1984-1990, who will stick with them through their life, and even lots of Generation Xers like them...however, I think even late Generation Yers won't be as eager to stick by them. If you like things being "aesthetically pleasing", super-Disneyified and corporatified, and fancy, you'll love the '00s. Also, if you love reality TV and glam rap and indie rock, you'll love the '00s. I think alot of aging Y hipsters will hate the '10s in one way or another.

But, as people have said on this board, everybody idealizes things in retrospect, as does the media, so probably by the mid-2020s when most young people won't remember them anymore or be part of the 2010s backlash against the 2000s, they'll be idealized. I can already see people idealizing them as a magical decade of fun glam rap, reality TV, and vulgar celebrities, because they won't get the reality of them, and alot of peak Gen Yers idealizing them excessively as a carefree time in the future....especially since alot of Gen Y is too materialistic to realize all the things wrong with this decade.

They're a somewhat well-liked decade, but not terribly, and certainly not as well liked as the '60s or the '90s. They're a love 'em or leave 'em decade.

I'd like to know how you feel about the 2000s (so far), Velvetoneo? For me, apart from technology, I'm not a big fan. Give me the 60s anyway... 8)

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 12:18 pm

I'd like to know how you feel about the 2000s (so far), Velvetoneo? For me, apart from technology, I'm not a big fan. Give me the 60s anyway... 8)

I'm not a big tech fan and I hate current culture, so I'd say they're not a very well-liked decade on my part. I think the only people reminiscing about this decade will be Gen Y people graduating between 2002 and 2008.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/13/06 at 12:27 pm

I would say it depends, the '00s are a love 'em or leave 'em decade like the '80s, not like the '70s and '90s, which are far more multifaceted and everybody can find something to like in. There are probably lots of peak Generation Yers, born say 1984-1990, who will stick with them through their life, and even lots of Generation Xers like them...however, I think even late Generation Yers won't be as eager to stick by them.

Yes the 00's will be a generally well-liked decade but only by two main groups IMO. It'll be those born in the 2000's(specifically 2005+) who wont be able to remember the decade at all or only a little bit and the age group of peak Yers you mentioned those born between 1984-1990(myself included). The main haters of the 2000's will be late Yers and most Zers IMO. btw velvetoneo do you think 1990ers such as yourself will be divded as to whether or not they like the 00's or do you think the majority will like the decade?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 12:36 pm

Yes the 00's will be a generally well-liked decade but only by two main groups IMO. It'll be those born in the 2000's(specifically 2005+) who wont be able to remember the decade at all or only a little bit and the age group of peak Yers you mentioned those born between 1984-1990(myself included). The main haters of the 2000's will be late Yers and most Zers IMO. btw velvetoneo do you think 1990ers such as yourself will be divded as to whether or not they like the 00's or do you think the majority will like the decade?

I think it'll be divided among 1990ers, we still fit more into the "peak" group but there are many more of us who don't like the decade than say, 1988, when decade-love reaches its peak. I agree with you about that...people born about 2005+ or 2006+ will be interested in the decade. People born in the mid-late '90s and early '00s to about 2004 will probably utterly despise it, though, and I don't think many people of other generations like it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/13/06 at 12:48 pm

I think it'll be divided among 1990ers, we still fit more into the "peak" group but there are many more of us who don't like the decade than say, 1988, when decade-love reaches its peak. I agree with you about that...people born about 2005+ or 2006+ will be interested in the decade. People born in the mid-late '90s and early '00s to about 2004 will probably utterly despise it, though, and I don't think many people of other generations like it.

I'd agree that 1990 fits more into the peak group. Way more than 1992 or even '91(my brother who was born in '91 despises the 00's so far). Pretty much anyone that's old enough to remember the decade but not really be apart of the culture(say 1994+) wont like it. I'd say that 1994-2002 will be the absolute haters of the 2000's.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 1:01 pm

I'd agree that 1990 fits more into the peak group. Way more than 1992 or even '91(my brother who was born in '91 despises the 00's so far). Pretty much anyone that's old enough to remember the decade but not really be apart of the culture(say 1994+) wont like it. I'd say that 1994-2002 will be the absolute haters of the 2000's.

Yeah, I agree, except maybe going up into 2003 or 2004, because they'll still have alot of '10s teen cred.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/13/06 at 1:10 pm

Yeah, I agree, except maybe going up into 2003 or 2004, because they'll still have alot of '10s teen cred.

Yeah 2003ers and 2004ers will hate the 00's but the reason I have the peak haters ending in 2002 is because that's the last year that someone could be born in and be able to remember the 2000's really well. '03ers and '04ers will hate the 00's but mostly becasue 2000's hating will be very popular by the mid-2010's.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 4:23 pm

Yeah 2003ers and 2004ers will hate the 00's but the reason I have the peak haters ending in 2002 is because that's the last year that someone could be born in and be able to remember the 2000's really well. '03ers and '04ers will hate the 00's but mostly becasue 2000's hating will be very popular by the mid-2010's.

Yeah, exactly.

Written By: sonikuu on 03/13/06 at 4:24 pm

I think the 00's will be viewed as similar to the 70's in some respects.  In the 70's, you had tons of bad things happening.  You had the Vietnam War, the energy crisis (occurring not once, but twice!), Watergate, skyrocketing divorce and crime rates, etc.  Despite this, the people at the time didn't seem to care and were too busy listening to disco music, wearing bell bottoms, and a whole myriad of things.  

You'll see tons of older people, and even some younger people, waxing nostalgia over them, calling them a "better time" and stuff and that "the streets were much safer".  The streets couldn't much safer than they are today what with skyrocketing crime rates (believe it or  not, but crime rates today are on the decline and have been for about a decade) and insane cult leaders like Jim Jones.  The 70's had tons of horrible stuff going on, yet people don't seem to remember that and are too caught up remembering their days at the disco to realize how negative and dark the decade actually was.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 5:14 pm

I think the 00's will be viewed as similar to the 70's in some respects.  In the 70's, you had tons of bad things happening.  You had the Vietnam War, the energy crisis (occurring not once, but twice!), Watergate, skyrocketing divorce and crime rates, etc.  Despite this, the people at the time didn't seem to care and were too busy listening to disco music, wearing bell bottoms, and a whole myriad of things.  

You'll see tons of older people, and even some younger people, waxing nostalgia over them, calling them a "better time" and stuff and that "the streets were much safer".  The streets couldn't much safer than they are today what with skyrocketing crime rates (believe it or  not, but crime rates today are on the decline and have been for about a decade) and insane cult leaders like Jim Jones.  The 70's had tons of horrible stuff going on, yet people don't seem to remember that and are too caught up remembering their days at the disco to realize how negative and dark the decade actually was.

Yeah, the '70s sucked in alot of ways, at least my parents are "'70s people" who went to the disco and can still remember what was horrible about them. The whole economy was jeopardized between well-paid professionals and the ever-shrinking industrial sector (the steel industry and auto industry collapsed through the '70s, and the textile and toy industries died), crime and dissatisfaction was skyrocketing in the inner cities (child prostitution was also rampant), homelessness was high, the energy situation was bad, the family situation was bad, etc. Cities were rapidly decaying. There was some seedy fun to it, and the fun aspects of it are well-remembered, but tons of people idealizing them (mostly in the '90s) and boomers who loved going to the disco cross out all the horrible things about the '70s from their memory, conveniently.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/13/06 at 5:53 pm

As a decade most people will agree stunk.

Written By: Ebontyne on 03/13/06 at 8:32 pm

I guess it just depends on who you are. For a lot of people in their 20s and up, this decade sucks. But if you're a young child right now, and you don't pay a lot of attention to terrorism and bird flu paranoia, high gas prices, Paris Hilton, or George W. Bush, then you might fondly remember this decade in the future. It's the Harry Potter decade, for one thing, and I think that's one major cultural phenomenon that we shouldn't underestimate; the last movie is scheduled for around 2010, if I'm not mistaken. Partly as a result of Harry Potter's success, other large-budget fantasy movies are also in production. I had always craved those kinds of movies as a child myself, but was forced to settle for Arnold Schwarzenegger in a loin-cloth to get my fantasy-movie fix. ;) There was an almost complete dearth of them, except for some genre experimentations in the '80s that flopped at the box-office and convinced Hollywood to stop trying in the '90s. Thus, I know that if I were a child now, the current vogue for fantasy is at least one thing I'd appreciate later on in life -- especially if the trend stops in the 2010s, as I believe it probably will. I'm just trying to give one angle on how the '00s might be perceived positively; basically I don't think it's such a bad time to be a little kid.

It'll be interesting to see how people regard this decade in the future.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 10:02 pm

I guess it just depends on who you are. For a lot of people in their 20s and up, this decade sucks. But if you're a young child right now, and you don't pay a lot of attention to terrorism and bird flu paranoia, high gas prices, Paris Hilton, or George W. Bush, then you might fondly remember this decade in the future. It's the Harry Potter decade, for one thing, and I think that's one major cultural phenomenon that we shouldn't underestimate; the last movie is scheduled for around 2010, if I'm not mistaken. Partly as a result of Harry Potter's success, other large-budget fantasy movies are also in production. I had always craved those kinds of movies as a child myself, but was forced to settle for Arnold Schwarzenegger in a loin-cloth to get my fantasy-movie fix. ;) There was an almost complete dearth of them, except for some genre experimentations in the '80s that flopped at the box-office and convinced Hollywood to stop trying in the '90s. Thus, I know that if I were a child now, the current vogue for fantasy is at least one thing I'd appreciate later on in life -- especially if the trend stops in the 2010s, as I believe it probably will. I'm just trying to give one angle on how the '00s might be perceived positively; basically I don't think it's such a bad time to be a little kid.

It'll be interesting to see how people regard this decade in the future.

I actually think this is in some ways a crappy time to be a little kid...there isn't as much quality kids' programming on now as there was in the '90s, coming off the echo boom, it's not as carefree, culture is darker, and there aren't as many good things with universal appeal like The Little Mermaid and such, now since there aren't enough kid viewers due to the passing of the echo boom, they have to include double entendres to draw in parents too, often at the expense of programming. Also, things were less hypersexualized then, in the '90s.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/13/06 at 10:04 pm

I actually think this is in some ways a crappy time to be a little kid...there isn't as much quality kids' programming on now as there was in the '90s, coming off the echo boom, it's not as carefree, culture is darker, and there aren't as many good things with universal appeal like The Little Mermaid and such, now since there aren't enough kid viewers due to the passing of the echo boom, they have to include double entendres to draw in parents too, often at the expense of programming. Also, things were less hypersexualized then, in the '90s.

Yea I think being a yound kid was way better in the early-mid '90s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 10:25 pm

The Zers will probably have the same jealousy of '90s Y childhood experiences as Xers had of the earlier '50s and '60s childhood experiences of boomers. I've actually read in analyses of the behavior of Generation X that The Exorcist and other devil child movies were a symbol to young Xers of the way society felt about them in the '70s, which were not a family-oriented decade, economically or socially. The '70s had an amazingly high divorce rate and saw the appearance of the latchkey kid, and were not a very family-oriented society, with a low birthrate even at the prosperous moments in the pendulum-like '70s economy. The later '60s and the '70s were more about having fun, "finding yourself", and getting high than getting a nice suburban house and raising a group of young kids. The '00s I suppose are similar in a way in that I don't think we're in a society oriented towards young kids right now. When the boomers had all their babies, society became oriented to them and their children, now society is oriented towards middle-aged boomers and their teenaged children. It seems like money is more an issue for alot of Zer households, and there are more parents working ridiculously long hours, both of them, and being taken care of by nannies or at daycare centers. So, maybe Z will grow up bitter about their childhood experiences like their Xer parents, who are probably echoing their childhoods, some of them anyway, in their children.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/14/06 at 10:59 am

Yeah I think it was a much better time to be a kid in the 90's. The kids movies and t.v. were better, the toys were cooler. I think the 2000's is a much louser time to be a kid but then again i'm sort of biased ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/14/06 at 1:30 pm

I agree.

I think 1991, 1992, and 1993ers are still part of Gen Y/the '00s generation (however I think Gen Y becomes more like Z than X beginning in 1993 or 1994; I think 1964-1994 is a "mega late 20th Century" generation and the prime X/Y difference is related to technology and parenting, rather than overall culture), but I definitely think those born in the 1991-1993 period are quite skeptical of zeroes culture and tend to gravitate more towards classic rock, etc.

For instance, my best friend is born in late 1993 and he likes Eminem and CSI, and is very aware of the Zeroes culture and events and even of some of the '90s culture and events (definitely more the late '90s though), but he also likes indie rock, classic rock, etc. and hates Snoop Dogg, and in general doesn't seem like a "mini Gen Xer" the way even a 1991er would.

Speaking as a 1990er, I think we are generally divided.  Since I'm well old enough to know all of the Zeroes well I can remember everything about them that sucked, hell I can even remember a lot of what sucked about the latter 1990s, but most kids my age I'm sure are into the current music, Reality, etc., although I think 1990ers are in general more skeptical about "1999ish" things like Eminem, South Park, etc.  Not that we view that stuff as "old", no way in hell, we're just not interesting in it much for the most part and many of us probably hate it.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/14/06 at 1:32 pm

I agree.

I think 1991, 1992, and 1993ers are still part of Gen Y/the '00s generation (however I think Gen Y becomes more like Z than X beginning in 1993 or 1994; I think 1964-1994 is a "mega late 20th Century" generation and the prime X/Y difference is related to technology and parenting, rather than overall culture), but I definitely think those born in the 1991-1993 period are quite skeptical of zeroes culture and tend to gravitate more towards classic rock, etc.

For instance, my best friend is born in late 1993 and he likes Eminem and CSI, and is very aware of the Zeroes culture and events and even of some of the '90s culture and events (definitely more the late '90s though), but he also likes indie rock, classic rock, etc. and hates Snoop Dogg, and in general doesn't seem like a "mini Gen Xer" the way even a 1991er would.

Speaking as a 1990er, I think we are generally divided.  Since I'm well old enough to know all of the Zeroes well I can remember everything about them that sucked, hell I can even remember a lot of what sucked about the latter 1990s, but most kids my age I'm sure are into the current music, Reality, etc., although I think 1990ers are in general more skeptical about "1999ish" things like Eminem, South Park, etc.  Not that we view that stuff as "old", no way in hell, we're just not interesting in it much for the most part and many of us probably hate it.

Yea I agree 1990ers should fit in the peak y group.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/14/06 at 2:02 pm

I agree.

I agree with that. I think there's even a line around 1991 culturally...in my school it's like the 1991+ kids generally seem like part of a separate cultural group and always have, while we were more together with the 1986-born seniors when we 1989-1990ers were in 6th grade. Like there's a "hanging out" division there. 1990 is definitely divided, most of us are cynical in one way or another towards something about the '00s or have a vague dislike of it, but we're still into it enough for alot of us to love aspects of it. 1991+, from what I see, don't seem so into glam rap or emo, more classic rock and alt rock/punk (like Nirvana, The Clash, etc) seem to be what's popular among them, or they like stuff like Radiohead and Weezer alot.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/14/06 at 5:33 pm

^Yeah, 1991-93ers are still like "Mini Xers", but I've always seen them as a "different" people than late 1985 - mid 1990 crowd, for sure.

BTW were you conceived in 1989?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/14/06 at 5:46 pm

^Yeah, 1991-93ers are still like "Mini Xers", but I've always seen them as a "different" people than late 1985 - mid 1990 crowd, for sure.

BTW were you conceived in 1989?

Yep, July 1989. My parents had actually been trying somewhat since sometime in 1988...it took them awhile, they were 35 when I was born. The 1991-1993ers just don't seem as into current culture, they're still Y but not in the same way.

Written By: Roadgeek on 03/14/06 at 6:25 pm

I was born in November of 1989 so I'm peak Y? Weird because I'm sorta anti-Y.

Anyway, this is sort of a hard question. Not a lot of people care about the 90's just yet, but I've gotten a head start since last year. With the 00's, we'll have to wait till the 10's.

Just incase, I recorded about 4 hours worth of programming on Nickelodeon back in September of 2005. I boxed it up and I will not watch it untill 2015. That's just incase by then I find the 00's retro. It was video that got me into 90's nostalgia due to an 8 hour video tape of an 8 hour Rugrats marathon from 1994 I found last year.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/14/06 at 6:55 pm

Anyway, this is sort of a hard question. Not a lot of people care about the 90's just yet, but I've gotten a head start since last year. With the 00's, we'll have to wait till the 10's.

Just incase, I recorded about 4 hours worth of programming on Nickelodeon back in September of 2005. I boxed it up and I will not watch it untill 2015. That's just incase by then I find the 00's retro. It was video that got me into 90's nostalgia due to an 8 hour video tape of an 8 hour Rugrats marathon from 1994 I found last year.

Oddly enough that's the excact same reason I got nostalgic about the 90's. I found a 5 hour long recording of the fox kids club from March 1994. As far as the '05 recording you did it's odd to think what that might look like in 9 years. Maybe I need to find a tape from 2000 yet to see if it looks old yet ;). btw if you were born in '89 then your defidently peak Y.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/14/06 at 10:00 pm

You're like me, we're still peak Y (if on the later end of it, probably), but we're part of the small group of people who don't like Gen Y culture in the 1984-1990 group.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/14/06 at 11:17 pm

Oddly enough that's the excact same reason I got nostalgic about the 90's. I found a 5 hour long recording of the fox kids club from March 1994. As far as the '05 recording you did it's odd to think what that might look like in 9 years. Maybe I need to find a tape from 2000 yet to see if it looks old yet ;). btw if you were born in '89 then your defidently peak Y.

Peak Y is 1986-1992, but the lower end is the peak of the peak.  The 1989-1992ers aren't Gen Z at all, but they're a little less stereotypically Y.  When I think Gen Y I think of people the Olsen Twins and Hilary Duff's age more than anyone else.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/15/06 at 8:44 am

I don't know if kids today have to 'vision' (is that the right word) to look back on the decades to really 'identify' decades. I don't think many youngsters (Save those interested in society and culture) see each decade as a distinct cultural epoch, apart from the 60s, 70s.etc. So maybe they just won't think about the 00s. It's not over yet, but I've rarely heard people (Even sociologist) discuss the finer points of 00s as a decade (it is merely 'modern day'), or in comparison to the 90s, 80s.etc except on this web-site. Which I think is sort of disappointing. This decade, while (Arguably) lacking in culture, should be at least remembered in the annals of history.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/15/06 at 10:34 am

Peak Y is 1986-1992, but the lower end is the peak of the peak.  The 1989-1992ers aren't Gen Z at all, but they're a little less stereotypically Y.  When I think Gen Y I think of people the Olsen Twins and Hilary Duff's age more than anyone else.

Yeah I agree. The sterotypical Gen Yers are in that 1986-1988 group which would probably be the "absolute peak" of Y. Even though the peak of Gen Y is about 1984/85-1990/91.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/15/06 at 4:49 pm

So, we agreed Gen Y ends at 1994, but the cusp goes on to about 1996 or 1997? I don't think 1992ers are much peak Y at all, I consider it to end with mid-1990, pretty abruptly...they just seem different from us and everyone above us, from my school experience.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/15/06 at 5:30 pm

So, we agreed Gen Y ends at 1994, but the cusp goes on to about 1996 or 1997? I don't think 1992ers are much peak Y at all, I consider it to end with mid-1990, pretty abruptly...they just seem different from us and everyone above us, from my school experience.

Yeah I think the peak ends in 1990 as well. '92ers are way off peak Y from what I've seen of them. '91ers are still very Y though(my brothers a '91er so I know). The Y/Z cusp starts in 1994 but think it might last to as late as 1999/2000.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/15/06 at 6:06 pm

Yeah I think the peak ends in 1990 as well. '92ers are way off peak Y from what I've seen of them. '91ers are still very Y though(my brothers a '91er so I know). The Y/Z cusp starts in 1994 but think it might last to as late as 1999/2000.

I think 1993 is where Y becomes more Zish than Xish.; my best friend, who's a 1993er seems pretty clueless about the pre-late '90s era, so 1993 onward probably shares little in common with Gen X like most of Y does.  I'm not sure about 1991 and 1992, but I kind of doubt they would see people born after 1970 as "no-fun, blowharded adults", but I could be wrong.  1991 or 1992 seems like the last year Gen Yers resemble the Xers, beginning in 1993 you start getting the children of the Brat Packers mixed in with the boomer parents. 1990 is the last "Baby on Board"/Olsen Twin generation year for sure though.  But I basically consider anyone old enough to recall the new millennium and 9/11 my generation and not the next one, since being 20th/21st transitional is what Y is all about.  This could include people born as late as 1995 or 1996, depending on how aware of the world these kids were around the turn of the millennium.  Basically, being a Gen Zer means years starting with "19" would look funny to you.

I think 1991 is the last year that's totally free of Z influence (i.e, they'd be too old to like the Teletubbies), but 1992-1994 is definitely Y too.  However, 1993ers and '94ers are the youngest people that would probably see Gen Xers as "parental figures".

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/15/06 at 7:32 pm

Yeah I see Gen Y as being transitional as well so it stands to reason that to be a Yer you have to remember a little bit of at least 1999.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/15/06 at 9:02 pm

I think you are right, a true GenYer must have at least some 90s culture embedded within them. I think the cut-off should be those who were at least 10 in 2000 (so those born between 1976 to 1990) which makes the most sense. Those born later are, as far as I'm concerned, 'psuedo-Gen Yers'.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/15/06 at 10:28 pm

I think you are right, a true GenYer must have at least some 90s culture embedded within them. I think the cut-off should be those who were at least 10 in 2000 (so those born between 1976 to 1990) which makes the most sense. Those born later are, as far as I'm concerned, 'psuedo-Gen Yers'.

I still think up to '93 or so have a good deal of '90s culture embedded in them.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/15/06 at 10:34 pm

The late '70s and probably up to 1980 are gen x. 1964/65-1975, no way, That would make gen x like 10 years long, and there is no such thing as a 10 year "generation". I'd say a generation must be at the least 15 years long. Gen Y is 1981-1996 imo, though the last few years are always boarderline. You could say that 1976-1980 is part of the xy cusp, but I still consider that ultimately part of gen x.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/15/06 at 10:45 pm

You think a 1991er is Gen Z/Fat, the same generation as the babies being born today?

I think the '00s are the Y decade, the only '90s requirement for a Y is some bona fide late '90s credit.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/15/06 at 10:47 pm

You think a 1991er is Gen Z/Fat, the same generation as the babies being born today?

I think the '00s are the Y decade, the only '90s requirement for a Y is some bona fide late '90s credit.

Yea I agree the main Y decade is the '00s. The '90s are split between X and Y.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/15/06 at 10:50 pm

I don't really see them being Gen Fat, exactly. I know it's a name for them, but lots of little kids have always been chubby and lazy. It's part of the obesity panic, and will probably mostly be something in iimpoverished rural areas and inner cities, not affecting suburban kids  or more prosperous rural people so much (it really doesn't seem to.)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/15/06 at 10:51 pm

Yea I agree the main Y decade is the '00s. The '90s are split between X and Y.

Just like the '70s were split between the younger Boomers and the earliest Xers.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/15/06 at 10:53 pm

Just like the '70s were split between the younger Boomers and the earliest Xers.

The '70s was really boomer dominated, totally, through the end, except for kids' stuff. Though it wouldn't have been had boomers not been such a massive, massive demographic group that towered over X, disco, prog rock, and other '70s trends were completely boomer. I think one source of X bitterness was how completely boomers dominated the '70s, and so people born in the mid-'60s then wanted to break out and be unique in the '80s and '90s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/15/06 at 10:56 pm

I don't really see them being Gen Fat, exactly. I know it's a name for them, but lots of little kids have always been chubby and lazy. It's part of the obesity panic, and will probably mostly be something in iimpoverished rural areas and inner cities, not affecting suburban kids  or more prosperous rural people so much (it really doesn't seem to.)

I don't like the name myself, I generally stick with Gen Z.  I don't like the New Silent Generation term either, of anything I would apply that label to Gen Xers or even to ourselves, the Yers, since we tend to be kind of "silent" about world issues for the most part.

1976-1990 would make sense if the '90s were the core Y decade, but they're not, the '00s are.  I still think a Gen Yer needs to remember something from 1999, and preferably from before 1997 also, since 1997, '98 and '99 are very Gen Y.  You don't have to remember the culture, you just have to remember the general feeling of the dot-com era.  

Of anything, I'd call the '90s more X, however I think they're becoming increasingly viewed as Gen Y every year as the Gen Xers abandon the '90s and the Yers continue to embrace their culture.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/15/06 at 10:59 pm

I don't like the name myself, I generally stick with Gen Z.  I don't like the New Silent Generation term either, of anything I would apply that label to Gen Xers or even to ourselves, the Yers, since we tend to be kind of "silent" about world issues for the most part.

1976-1990 would make sense if the '90s were the core Y decade, but they're not, the '00s are.  I still think a Gen Yer needs to remember something from 1999, and preferably from before 1997 also, since 1997, '98 and '99 are very Gen Y.  You don't have to remember the culture, you just have to remember the general feeling of the dot-com era.  

Of anything, I'd call the '90s more X, however I think they're becoming increasingly viewed as Gen Y every year as the Gen Xers abandon the '90s and the Yers continue to embrace their culture.

Gen Xers wanted the '90s to be "their decade" in terms of cultural domination the way the '70s and '80s were for boomers (not many boomers were entertainers in the '60s). But, it ended up by the end of the decade becoming for the little kids of the boomers they maligned.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/16/06 at 2:59 am

I still think up to '93 or so have a good deal of '90s culture embedded in them.

Mate, when I was 6 I didn't remember anything of popular culture. Except maybe cartoons, play school/sesame street, and teenage mutant ninja turtles. It is only by age 10 that most kids become aware of the wider world.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/16/06 at 4:57 am

Mate, when I was 6 I didn't remember anything of popular culture. Except maybe cartoons, play school/sesame street, and teenage mutant ninja turtles. It is only by age 10 that most kids become aware of the wider world.

Not necessarily. From my experience, most kids generally get sort of a vague zeitgeist feeling about the era they're in when they're 5 or 6, I know this from talking to people. Also, you hear music on the radio, watch TV, go to the movies, and watch the fashion people wear. People from at the latest about 5 or 6 remember enough pop culture to get the feel of a decade.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/16/06 at 6:48 am

Hmm, most people I know seem to have forgotten entirely about the age of 8...so maybe they did have a better understanding as young children, but somehow forgot it. Perhaps that's what happened with me. Still, I don't think age 6 is old enough to really appreciate the society and be able to compare it with another age with some semblance of objectivity.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/16/06 at 10:36 am

Not necessarily. From my experience, most kids generally get sort of a vague zeitgeist feeling about the era they're in when they're 5 or 6, I know this from talking to people. Also, you hear music on the radio, watch TV, go to the movies, and watch the fashion people wear. People from at the latest about 5 or 6 remember enough pop culture to get the feel of a decade.

I'd have to agree. When I was 5-7(1992-1994) I didnt really have a choice but to pay attention to the early/mid-90's pop culture because I watched alot of TV(mostly cartoons but not always), and my parents used to listen to the radio all the time when I was younger. Because of this even though I wasn't actively invoved in early 90's pop culture I've always been able to sort of get a feel for early 90's. I think someone born in '93 would be able to get a pretty decent feel for the late 90's just like I did the early 90's so that gives them some 90's credit IMO.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/16/06 at 12:26 pm

I'd have to agree. When I was 5-7(1992-1994) I didnt really have a choice but to pay attention to the early/mid-90's pop culture because I watched alot of TV(mostly cartoons but not always), and my parents used to listen to the radio all the time when I was younger. Because of this even though I wasn't actively invoved in early 90's pop culture I've always been able to sort of get a feel for early 90's. I think someone born in '93 would be able to get a pretty decent feel for the late 90's just like I did the early 90's so that gives them some 90's credit IMO.

Like I have very good memories of what things were like in the mid-90s period (roughly Pre-K to 1st grade for me), and I can even get a feel for the early '90s from all the culture from the early '90s around that I knew.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/16/06 at 12:28 pm

Like I have very good memories of what things were like in the mid-90s period (roughly Pre-K to 1st grade for me), and I can even get a feel for the early '90s from all the culture from the early '90s around that I knew.

I think my clear memory begins for sure in 1997, probably even earlier like '96, but I remember things here and there at least back to '94 and probably back to '93.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/16/06 at 12:30 pm

I think my clear memory begins for sure in 1997, probably even earlier like '96, but I remember things here and there at least back to '94 and probably back to '93.

I have a pretty clear memory going back to 1994, I'd say, and a realy clear memory from about 1996. Like way enough to get the feel of the way things were, and I have memories here and there from '92 on.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/16/06 at 12:33 pm

I have a pretty clear memory going back to 1994, I'd say, and a realy clear memory from about 1996. Like way enough to get the feel of the way things were, and I have memories here and there from '92 on.

Yeah, I can remember watching VHS tapes around 1994 somewhat well.  I can't remember what my apartment looked like then, but I can remember being there.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/16/06 at 12:35 pm

Yeah, I can remember watching VHS tapes around 1994 somewhat well.  I can't remember what my apartment looked like then, but I can remember being there.

I have alot of pretty clear memories from c. 1994, like beginning Pre-K, and I remember nursery school and my nursery school room very well, which was like 1992-1994...enough to remember some things hanging on the wall and specific incidents. I also remember alot of vacations, and some scattered around the house incidents that are hard to place, lots of them involving music or TV.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/16/06 at 12:37 pm

I have alot of pretty clear memories from c. 1994, like beginning Pre-K, and I remember nursery school and my nursery school room very well, which was like 1992-1994...enough to remember some things hanging on the wall and specific incidents. I also remember alot of vacations, and some scattered around the house incidents that are hard to place, lots of them involving music or TV.

Yeah, I can remember pre-K pretty well too, I remember that we watched "The Rescuers: Down Under" on a projector screen.

Those projectors were still hanging around in the '90s, even though there was home video by then.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/16/06 at 12:42 pm

I really did not listen to the radio that much in the '90s, maybe a little in the late '90s. I was aware of some of the early-mid '90s music groups, but I wasn't much into music then. I do remember a number of TV shows, well I at least was aware of them being on. Movies I know pretty well from 1994 and up. I was very aware of a lot of the late '90s music, mainly the pop stuff, but still I wasn't a big radio listener. I remember all the technology very well. Politics/world events I remember very well from about 1994 and on, though I do remember a few things before that.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/16/06 at 12:43 pm

^I started knowing about current music in 1999 I'm pretty sure.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/16/06 at 12:45 pm

Yeah, I can remember pre-K pretty well too, I remember that we watched "The Rescuers: Down Under" on a projector screen.

Those projectors were still hanging around in the '90s, even though there was home video by then.

My two earliest real memories are a vacation to the Poconoes in 1992 (we actually watched a movie on an old projection screen) and my first day of nursery school in 1992, ever.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/16/06 at 12:47 pm

My two earliest real memories are a vacation to the Poconoes in 1992 (we actually watched a movie on an old projection screen) and my first day of nursery school in 1992, ever.

That's pretty amazing.  It is slightly possible I remember like 1 or 2 things from 1992, but I really doubt it.  1993, almost for sure, 1994 definitely.  A lot of scattered things from 1995 and 1996 that are quite clear, 1997 is very good, 1998 and 1999 could be yesterday.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/16/06 at 12:50 pm

My earliest possible memories are from around 1989. Earliest decent memories are from 1991.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/16/06 at 2:26 pm

That's pretty amazing.  It is slightly possible I remember like 1 or 2 things from 1992, but I really doubt it.  1993, almost for sure, 1994 definitely.  A lot of scattered things from 1995 and 1996 that are quite clear, 1997 is very good, 1998 and 1999 could be yesterday.

My dad remembers things from when he was 1 and 1/2...it was a family picture being taken when they moved into a new apartment. I remember the way I thought then, the most, which is a bit odd. My memory of my first day of Pre-K is going in and thinking I was the only kid who couldn't see myself like I could see myself in a mirror, that they could all see themselves, except for me. I was very fascinated and perturbed with that I couldn't see myself like a person in a mirror or a TV screen when I was about that age. I don't think I got the whole mind-body connection yet, I just know I was a very thoughtful, methodical child. I also remember getting up in the middle of the night when I was about 2 and looking at the crack of black between my lit room and my door's closed end, and pretending it was evil and gradually raising my voice about 100 times to a yell from a whisper to my parents, like it was some magical spell. Another memory, maybe from when I was c. 1  and 1/2, is waking up in my crib to sunlight, which had a dome at the top so I didn't get out, and looking at it like some huge dome, like the Capitol building, and then seeing my parents come in and say good morning in their bathrobes.

Alot of my memories from that very early age strike me as things I thought when I got up in the middle of the night, like I remember getting a tent together and bringing all my stuffed animals closer and closer to me to avoid some demon I imagined was around. I also remember thinking my rocking horse was going to come alive and turn into a superhero when his glass eyes glowed totally red as the sunlight hit him.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/16/06 at 5:42 pm

My earliest possible memories are from around 1989. Earliest decent memories are from 1991.

Yeah I'm the same as you. I have a few vague memories from 1989 and like one or two vauge memories from 1990. The first thing I remember really well is my brother being born in May '91, I remember the whole thing pretty well. Also I remember my first day of Pre-K late that year pretty good. I'd say anything 1993+ is like yesterday to me.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/16/06 at 11:21 pm

Yeah I'm the same as you. I have a few vague memories from 1989 and like one or two vauge memories from 1990. The first thing I remember really well is my brother being born in May '91, I remember the whole thing pretty well. Also I remember my first day of Pre-K late that year pretty good. I'd say anything 1993+ is like yesterday to me.

I'd say anything 1997+ is like yesterday to me, although I get the whole 1995-early 1998 period mixed up so I probably remember 1996 almost like yesterday too.  1998 and 1999 is where it's totally lucid.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/17/06 at 12:17 am

September 11th ruined this decade.  I don't know if this decade will ever be known for anything else.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/17/06 at 12:39 am

I'd say anything 1997+ is like yesterday to me, although I get the whole 1995-early 1998 period mixed up so I probably remember 1996 almost like yesterday too.  1998 and 1999 is where it's totally lucid.

You're a couple of years younger than me aren't you?  For me anything 1994+ is easy to re-call. I can mix up things in the 94-96 period, but for me 97 on is lucid as you say. 92 and 93 I can sorta remember.  88-91 I have a few faint memories but nothing to do with the time period really, just family stuff.

Written By: rich1981 on 03/17/06 at 12:41 am

September 11th ruined this decade.  I don't know if this decade will ever be known for anything else.

George Bush.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/17/06 at 12:49 am

George Bush.

I think September 11th trumps George Bush.  Some people may not agree with me, but I think that while he's certainly been a stain on the decade, he'll be gone in 2 years and hopefully what he did can be righted.

9/11 will never be righted.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/17/06 at 12:51 am

I think September 11th trumps George Bush.  Some people may not agree with me, but I think that while he's certainly been a stain on the decade, he'll be gone in 2 years and hopefully what he did can be righted.

Unless another one like him gets elected, then it's not looking good.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/17/06 at 12:51 am

Neither will the bullcrap Bush has pulled.  ;)

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/17/06 at 12:52 am

That's true in a sense.  Nothing can take back what it did. I don't think there's been one single event that's defined an entire decade so much since Pearl Harbor for the 40s.  I wonder what the world now would be like if 9/11 hadn't happened.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/17/06 at 12:55 am

That's true in a sense.  Nothing can take back what it did. I don't think there's been one single event that's defined an entire decade so much since Pearl Harbor for the 40s.  I wonder what the world now would be like if 9/11 hadn't happened.

For starters Bush probably wouldn't be president still. Most people only voted for him the 2nd time around because they think he's "tough on terror".

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/17/06 at 12:55 am

Neither will the bullcrap Bush has pulled.  ;)

No, I think if the Dems win in '08, some change will occur.  It will take a while, but I think it will start in this decade and carry over into the next.  I'm hoping that Kerry runs again in '08.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/17/06 at 12:58 am

No, I think if the Dems win in '08, some change will occur.  It will take a while, but I think it will start in this decade and carry over into the next.  I'm hoping that Kerry runs again in '08.

Congress is important as well, the dems need to win some seats back this year. I do think if things keep going the way they're going that there's a good chance that a dem will win in '08.

Check for new replies or respond here...