inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you think 2008 will be like?

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/13/06 at 9:57 pm

I have a feeling 2008 will be an interesting and exciting year. I think that the style of music will be a similar but fine-tuned version of 2005/06 music, but more of what we will hear in 2007. I also think it will be a good year at the box office, with the Batman Begins sequel and maybe a Wayne's World type of movie and some more really funny comedies that will be a classic. The 2008 elections should be interesting too. I predict that a Democrat will win, but also the 3rd party candidate will get a lot of votes like Ross Perot did in 1992. I think that 2008 will be the peak of the styles and trends that started in 2005, just like how 1992 was the peak of the styles that started in 1989. Also, the olympics in Beijing will be a highlight of the year.

So what are your predictions for '08?

Subject: Re: What do you think 2008 will be like?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 9:59 pm

I have a feeling 2008 will be an interesting and exciting year. I think that the style of music will be a similar but fine-tuned version of 2005/06 music, but more of what we will hear in 2007. I also think it will be a good year at the box office, with the Batman Begins sequel and maybe a Wayne's World type of movie and some more really funny comedies that will be a classic. The 2008 elections should be interesting too. I predict that a Democrat will win, but also the 3rd party candidate will get a lot of votes like Ross Perot did in 1992. I think that 2008 will be the peak of the styles and trends that started in 2005, just like how 1992 was the peak of the styles that started in 1989. Also, the olympics in Beijing will be a highlight of the year.

I think they'll be a year where an extreme recession contrasts with the optimism of the 2008 elections and the Beijing Olympics...anti-China trade sentiment will be hot, so expect them to be rife with controversy. Pop culture will be sort of lackluster, but maybe there'll be a few new derivative trends.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/13/06 at 10:05 pm

It will be an exciting year, the olympics, the election, etc. I think the changes in music will start to become a little more apparent, but we'll see. Reality TV will be almost completely dead.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 10:09 pm

It will be an exciting year, the olympics, the election, etc. I think the changes in music will start to become a little more apparent, but we'll see. Reality TV will be almost completely dead.

Not quite, probably. We'll probably still have the popular process shows like "American Idol" and "America's Next Top Model", but I don't think TV will be so great until the early 2010s.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/13/06 at 10:12 pm

Not quite, probably. We'll probably still have the popular process shows like "American Idol" and "America's Next Top Model", but I don't think TV will be so great until the early 2010s.

They'll be around but not nearly as popular, except for Idol which will maintain it's popularity for a while. I really don't think America's Next Top Model is that big, neither are shows like the Biggest Loser or even Apprentice now. No where near the audience of shows like Grey's Anatomy.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 10:15 pm

They'll be around but not nearly as popular, except for Idol which will maintain it's popularity for a while. I really don't think America's Next Top Model is that big, neither are shows like the Biggest Loser or even Apprentice now. No where near the audience of shows like Grey's Anatomy.

It's pretty big among teenaged girls, though...enough to keep it running on for another few years at least, maybe to get to the tenth or twelfth cycle. Project Runway is also pretty huge.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/13/06 at 10:17 pm

It's pretty big among teenaged girls, though...enough to keep it running on for another few years at least, maybe to get to the tenth or twelfth cycle. Project Runway is also pretty huge.

My sister loves that show and she's 33, lol. I do watch Idol, but so does almost every other person I know, lol. I don't think I ever heard of Project Runway.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 10:26 pm

My sister loves that show and she's 33, lol. I do watch Idol, but so does almost every other person I know, lol. I don't think I ever heard of Project Runway.

It's a fashion designing contest show on Bravo. I don't watch American Idol, but like 85% of people do.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/13/06 at 10:29 pm

It's a fashion designing contest show on Bravo. I don't watch American Idol, but like 85% of people do.

Oh. Yea I know it's crazy how popular that American Idol is.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 10:30 pm

Oh. Yea I know it's crazy how popular that American Idol is.

It's been popular for awhile, but I have no clue how exactly it got so popular.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/13/06 at 10:31 pm

It's been popular for awhile, but I have no clue how exactly it got so popular.

I think people thinking that they choose the winner is a big reason. Sometimes I wonder if it's fixed though. If anything the voting is unfair and decided mostly by powervoting 14 year old girls.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 10:36 pm

I think people thinking that they choose the winner is a big reason. Sometimes I wonder if it's fixed though. If anything the voting is unfair and decided mostly by powervoting 14 year old girls.

You're probably right about that. American Idol isn't even really reality, it's just a reality-styled, souped-up, dramatic version of something like Star Search, with a more heavily "contest" format. The popularity did coincide, though...probably reality TV softened up Americans for stuff like American Idol. As we said, most really popular reality TV now is a combo old-styled contest show with a reality TV styling.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/14/06 at 11:13 am

I think 2008 should be a pretty exciting year. Musically I think it will be dominated still by glam rap and emo as far as the charts go but popularity wise I think both genre's will take a hit in '08. As far as the election goes I agree a democrat will win and the election that year will create a dramatic change in atmoshpere. Also I think 2008 will be the beginning of culture leaning toward the 10's.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/14/06 at 1:15 pm

The glam rap backlash will begin in 2007, when people realize how crappy Grillz is  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/14/06 at 2:09 pm

I think 2008 should be a pretty exciting year. Musically I think it will be dominated still by glam rap and emo as far as the charts go but popularity wise I think both genre's will take a hit in '08. As far as the election goes I agree a democrat will win and the election that year will create a dramatic change in atmoshpere. Also I think 2008 will be the beginning of culture leaning toward the 10's.

Speaking of your icon, it's been St. Patrick's Day fever in Jersey lately...nothing approaching Columbus Day, but whatever. I agree glam rap and emo will start getting really stupid and noticeably in 2008, maybe even 2007...I think my senior year of high school will be the last really totally "'00s year", but even then the culture will be seriously faltering.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/07 at 1:21 pm

The same as this year, but much warmer and wetter.

Written By: fusefan on 06/30/07 at 12:59 am

Well, (for me personally) I think it's gonna be a pretty good year. I'll turn 18 and graduate high school and do all the fun adult stuff. (except for drinking)

Written By: Haynsoul on 06/30/07 at 1:15 pm

Well, (for me personally) I thinks it's gonna be a pretty good year. I'll turn 18 and graduate high school and do all the fun adult stuff. (except for drinking)

Who actually waits until they're 21 to drink?  :D

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/05/07 at 11:54 am

Yeah, I don't think it will be too much different from 2007. I think it will be the last year that there'll be any talk of Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan before they fade out, and some new up and coming celebs will start their time of fame. In fact, Lindsay is already fading out this year. The only thing the media mentions about her now was her time in rehab and her DUI.

As for the elections, it will be interesting since it's open on both parties. I'm just anxious to find out who the primary candidates are going to be. We should find out sometime next spring.

Written By: annonymouse on 07/05/07 at 6:43 pm

a year filled with the aftermath of the many game titles of 2007. i suppose the ps3 may take off a bt with ffXIII. really it will be no different than 2007.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/05/07 at 6:51 pm

Probally no different than this year.

Written By: woops on 07/06/07 at 11:13 pm

Deborah Gibson will have her long awaited music comeback
http://www.indeonline.com/photos/August2006/081706debbie.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...