inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are the '00s Less Female-Dominated Than the '90s?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 10:34 pm

I'd have to say yes...it seems like the '90s had an endless variety of female artists of every stripe, including singer-songwriters in styles from pop to alt rock and everywhere in between, techno queens like Jodi Watley, divas like Mariah Carey/Toni Braxton/Whitney Houston/Celine Dion, and girl groups. The '00s just have Beyonce.

Subject: Re: Are the '00s Less Female-Dominated Than the '90s?

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/13/06 at 11:30 pm

I'd have to say yes...it seems like the '90s had an endless variety of female artists of every stripe, including singer-songwriters in styles from pop to alt rock and everywhere in between, techno queens like Jodi Watley, divas like Mariah Carey/Toni Braxton/Whitney Houston/Celine Dion, and girl groups. The '00s just have Beyonce.

Mariah Carey isn't part of the 2000s? Somebody better tell her that.

Natasha Bedingfield has emerged as a fairly popular female... it remains to be seen if she can continue that, but I don't think she can be discounted.

Whitney, Toni, and Celine all did have some success in the 2000s, but nowhere near what they had in the '90s, so I can see your points there.

The R&B world actually had quite a bit of female success in the 2000s with the likes of Aaliyah, Mary J. Blige, and Ashanti... and, more recently, Amerie, Nivea, Brook Valentine...

Sheryl Crow is still around... and Kelly Clarkson is doing fairly well...

I would say the area where females have still managed great success is probably country music. Faith Hill, Leann Rimes, Jo Dee Messina, Carrie Underwood, and groups like SHeDAISY, The Dixie Chicks, and female-led Sugarland...

Also, in dance music, the usual reliable folks (Amber, Kristine W, Madonna...) are still alive and well.

But, in general, I guess I'd have to agree that this decade has experienced less "female domination" of music than the previous one. I just posted all the examples of 2000s females because the original post makes it sound as if females are having almost no success, and I don't think that's fair to say.

Written By: whistledog on 03/13/06 at 11:33 pm

There is also Natalie Imbruglia.  She is still quite popular overseas

Kylie and Dannii Minogue are also still quite popular.  Dannii is actually more popular in the 2000's then she ever was in the 90's

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/14/06 at 4:13 am

I sort of agree, female rock groups (like L7, the Donnas and Veruca Salt) as opposed to female pop stars/singers (which have always been common) seem to be less prevalent. There are many bands with a female main singer (or maybe a bassist or drummer), but few with a lead-guitarist.etc.

Kind of supports my theory that a 'reverse feminism' is sort of going on. I don't want to sound presumptious, but the 'slutty' dressing, while many view it as expressing ones 'sexuality' or what-not ( ::)) does, in a way, say something about a society. There also seem to be fewer strong female figures in politics.etc...Girls also seem to be less comfortable entering traditionally male areas like science or engineering. But then, I guess, it may be more of a subtle thing. I dunno if I'm right, I couldn't be on totally the wrong track, but that's the impression I get.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/14/06 at 1:33 pm

I think so.  Ever since "Thelma and Louise" came out in 1991 feminism was big.  It continued in the late nineties with The Spice Girls and probably ended with 9/11, when it become cool to "love your country" and thus people didn't care as much about feminism, unfortunately.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/14/06 at 2:07 pm

I think so.  Ever since "Thelma and Louise" came out in 1991 feminism was big.  It continued in the late nineties with The Spice Girls and probably ended with 9/11, when it become cool to "love your country" and thus people didn't care as much about feminism, unfortunately.

Also, part of it was a '70s revival. The '80s were a big break in traditional feminism, except for the yuppie, "she works hard for the money" type about ex-feminist female professionals...it was never as strong with the under 30 crowd. Thanks for clueing me on that the '90s feminism started with Thelma and Louise in 1991. There have been more female successful artists in the '00s than Beyonce, but none who quite seem like "superstars", like Mariah, Celine, Whitney, and Toni all were in the '90s, along with TLC, Destiny's Child, En Vogue, The Spice Girls, even Britney Spears...also, the alt rock scene isn't that woman-friendly, I don't think, as it was in the early-mid '90s.  There are some stars like Natasha Bedingfield and Amerie and female group members, but in this country (not counting overseas) it's not as female-dominated. Maybe it'll be a 2010s revival thing to be "woman-friendly"?

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/15/06 at 8:39 am

Maybe feminism was a cruel joke? All this talk about equal rights, womens lib.etc, maybe it has reached a point where it is NEARLY there, but not quite, and will remain in this sort of limbo for a long time.

But then again what do I know...l

Written By: twistedwarp on 03/15/06 at 10:34 am

i dont think the 'oos are less dominated by females i mean look at the richest people in america such ass opera,martha stewart... and politicians that are showing women are not weak and have  a  mind of there own for example hilary clinton is a step closer to having a female president but thats another story

Check for new replies or respond here...