inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Game Show Host Presses His Luck too Far...

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/14/06 at 5:54 am

Game show host Peter Tomarken of the game show "Press Your Luck" passed away yesterday in a private airplane crash.

This on the heels of Maureen Stapleton;s demise.  :\'(

Subject: Re: Game Show Host Presses His Luck too Far...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/14/06 at 10:31 am

Game show host Peter Tomarken of the game show "Press Your Luck" passed away yesterday in a private airplane crash.

This on the heels of Maureen Stapleton;s demise.  :\'(

that is so sad!  :\'(  He was always a good game show host.

Written By: gmann on 03/14/06 at 11:39 am

Damn. All the good ones are leaving us.  :( "Press Your Luck" was up there along with "The Price Is Right" as favorite game shows during my formative years. Didn't some guy figure out a pattern on "PYL" that helped him win big? I don't remember the specifics.

"No whammies!"

Written By: SingBlueSilver on 03/14/06 at 11:47 am

Yes, there was a scandal played out on PYL by a man named Michael Larsen - here's the story http://gscentral.net/larsen.htm.  I remember watching a documentary on the scandal back a couple of years ago.  Don't remember it exactly, but it was done in "True Hollywood Story" format - might have even been a True Hollywood Story.

Written By: SingBlueSilver on 03/14/06 at 11:49 am

Duh, I should have read the entire article - the documentary was produced by Game Show Network (GSN).

Written By: nally on 03/14/06 at 12:44 pm

yeah, I found out about it this morning in the newspaper. He was 63...and it was off the coast of Santa Monica where his plane crashed. Poor guy! :\'( :\'(

I have watched "PYL" a few times on GSN in recent years. In addition, it was three years ago this week when he hosted a documentary on GSN about the contestant who won over $110,000 on PYL.

R.I.P. Pete :-[

Written By: Roadgeek on 03/14/06 at 2:01 pm

Ironic. I was thinking about him yesterday and I was actually thinking about when he would die. Weird. I'm also sad about this event too. He was a great man. :\'(

Written By: Mushroom on 03/14/06 at 2:07 pm

What is even more sad is that Peter and his wife were members of the Angel's Flight program.  They were on their way to San Diego, to transport a woman to the UCLA Medical Center when they crashed.

At least he died doing something he loved, and while trying to help out somebody else.

Written By: whistledog on 03/16/06 at 12:08 pm

This is very sad  :\'(

I grew up watching Press Your Luck.  R.I.P. Mr. Tomarken

Written By: Dagwood on 03/17/06 at 9:54 pm

Wow.  What a shocker.  Sad.

Check for new replies or respond here...