inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will There Be a Tech Backlash/Popular Tech Scaledown in the '10s?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/14/06 at 5:10 pm

I think there will be. As part of the major '00s backlash, the whole iPod/fancy tech cell phone thing will become unpopular, along with tech luxuries. A crappy economy c. 2007-2012 will force people to give up alot of these, and afterwards people will be reconsidering the whole materialism influencing tech in the '00s, as opposed to necessity (I mean, does EVERYTHING have to have a camera and an MP3 player on it?) Also, when the shock and novelty of some '00s tech things goes away, people will be moving away from them and realizing how stupid things like MySpace are, and even getting disenchanted with the iPod and PSPs. I think it won't be so much a rejection of it as a movement away from enthusiasm, and a popular and "hip" lifestyle choice.

Subject: Re: Will There Be a Tech Backlash/Popular Tech Scaledown in the '10s?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/14/06 at 6:42 pm

I'd say somewhat. I think that tech will continue to be prevelant and continue to get more and more advanced. I think the backlash will be less aimed at tech itself but the Gen Y notion of being on the cutting edge of tech(getting the newest ipod, the fanciest cell phone,etc.) as apart of the overall 00's backlash of course.

Written By: robby76 on 03/14/06 at 8:50 pm

Yes I hope so! We should revert back to the good old days of family sitcoms, playing in the streets and decent action figures!

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/14/06 at 9:58 pm

I'd say somewhat. I think that tech will continue to be prevelant and continue to get more and more advanced. I think the backlash will be less aimed at tech itself but the Gen Y notion of being on the cutting edge of tech(getting the newest ipod, the fanciest cell phone,etc.) as apart of the overall 00's backlash of course.

Yeah, tech will continue to become more and more advanced...however, I hold to the idea that usually periods of long development are followed by rapid advancement, I think we're in the final hurdle of the most recent period of "rapid advancement" in terms of everyday life tech (1985-2010/2015) probably, then things will cool down for awhile as we concentrate on alternative energy sources, et. al., and are developing new tech. The last really rapid, wide-ranging one, more wide-ranging than this, was the advance into the electric/airplane and automobile/movie and radio/telephone age between 1895 and 1920 or so...after that, everything was just refined that had already been reduced.

Probably, the entertainment tech boom of the '00s will settle down into a comfortable establishment feel by the mid-2010s after the economy recovers, and even then there'll be a backlash against always having the fanciest TiVo, iPod, and cell phone, as machinehead said. Also, I think there'll be a "pop psych" and hippieish movement about experiencing more, and buying less and spending less time online in the '10s, as people get increasingly acclimated to internet technology.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/15/06 at 10:43 am

^I totally agree. There will be a cool down as you said velvetoneo and we'll probably settle into a peroid of simply refining excisting technologies in the 2010's(which you could argue that we've already started to do now since alot of recent tech is just refinements of things made in the 80's and 90's). As far as the internet goes I agree that internet use will be cut down in the 10's as it becomes less "new and hot" and just standard.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/15/06 at 4:48 pm

^I totally agree. There will be a cool down as you said velvetoneo and we'll probably settle into a peroid of simply refining excisting technologies in the 2010's(which you could argue that we've already started to do now since alot of recent tech is just refinements of things made in the 80's and 90's). As far as the internet goes I agree that internet use will be cut down in the 10's as it becomes less "new and hot" and just standard.

Yeah, totally. It still has a "new and hot" feel to it, which'll probably lay off by the 2010s. Like television was still somewhat new and hot through the mid-'60s or so, people in my mother's generation watched excessive amounts of TV as little kids. People would just watch anything on there for hours on end. The internet is the same thing, they'll have to be working harder to get people online to alot of sites in the 2010s.

Check for new replies or respond here...