inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What computer games are you currently playing?

Written By: Mushroom on 03/14/06 at 5:19 pm

I am curious which games people in here tend to play.  How about listing what game(s) you are currently playing?

Myself, the 3 games I am currently playing (1 or more times a week) are:

Black & White 2
The Movies
Sims 2: Open For Business

Subject: Re: What computer games are you currently playing?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/14/06 at 5:30 pm

Alchemy
Cubis

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/14/06 at 6:57 pm

Simcity 4

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/14/06 at 7:35 pm

The Movies

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/14/06 at 7:55 pm

Bejeweled 2
Blasterball 2-Remix

on my Game Boy Advance SP...
Sonic Advance 3
The Sims: Bustin' Out
Time Pilot(80's arcade game)

Written By: Skippy(here and there) on 03/15/06 at 1:30 am

A mix of "old school" and newer stuff:

Lemmings-1,2, Oh No-More Lemmings
Maniac Mansion-1,2
Zak McKracken
Leisure Suit Larry 1,2,3, & 5
Sim City, Farm, Tower, Ant
Space Quest-1,2,3,4
Police Quest-1,2,3,4
King's Quest-1,2,3,4,5
Their Finest Hour
Aces of the Pacific
Bill Elliot's NASCAR Challenge
Indianapolis 500
F-1 2000
WW II Fighters
Beachhead 2000
Delta Force II
European Air War
Combat Flight Simulator

That's most of what I have loaded and play, between two computers.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/15/06 at 1:32 am

Railroad Tycoon 3, honestly the only true game I can master.

Written By: whistledog on 03/15/06 at 1:38 am

I only play MAME games on my computer.  I never get bored of them :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/15/06 at 8:32 am

I haven't really played many games of late. I have to be really 'in the zone' or else I never make time to play games. I don't really have that much time these days either to play all those games (many still in their boxes) I buy and never play.

Some of the games I've recently enjoyed include LOTR Battle for Middle Earth (one of the rare 'good') movie-spinoffs, Battlefield 2 (kind of get's boring), GTA San Andreas and a few others.

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 03/15/06 at 8:50 am

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004
Hacked versions of Super Mario world

Written By: Mushroom on 03/17/06 at 10:16 pm

The Movies

Cool, somebody else playing the game!  I thought I might be the only one.

Have yup uploaded any movies yet?  I got it last week, and have been having a blast.  I just finished uploading my newest one, a quasi Film Noir kinda piece, with me doing the naration.

Let me know your studio, and I will give you some reviews.  If you (or anybody else) wants to check mine out, here is my studio:

http://movies.lionhead.com/studio/Mushrom

Written By: paradisecity on 03/18/06 at 5:16 am

The Movies

Same, isn't it so hard to make movies when the directors and the actors are never happy?

And The Sims 2 - Open for Buisness

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/18/06 at 5:59 am

I find the Sims incredibly boring...don't know, seems so repetitive. Imagine if life was that boring...oh wait, it is.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/18/06 at 7:39 am

Same, isn't it so hard to make movies when the directors and the actors are never happy?

And The Sims 2 - Open for Buisness

Well, that is why I use the Sandbox mode when I really want to make a movie, as opposed to play the game.

Written By: paradisecity on 03/18/06 at 8:15 am

Well, that is why I use the Sandbox mode when I really want to make a movie, as opposed to play the game.

Yeah, me too. I don't like playing in the 1920's mode though.

Have you played it up to the 00's? Apparently if you keep going there will be more packs and stuff to get in the game.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/18/06 at 9:01 am

Yeah, me too. I don't like playing in the 1920's mode though.

Have you played it up to the 00's? Apparently if you keep going there will be more packs and stuff to get in the game.

In playing the game, I have made it up until 1960.  And yes, every time you progress another 5 years or so, you get more sets, costumes, and props.  You also gain more texhniques.

I just started to actually make my own movies, so for that I cheated.  I found a patch that lets you unlock all of the technologies, and that is what I do in sandbox mode.  It lets me have every setting and every action, so I am not restricted as much by decade.

My last movie I made with 2000 era technology.  But the story I told was a sort of twisted version of 1950 film noir.  It took me about 30 minutes to script out, and another 45 minutes in the editing room, placiong down the vocal narration.  I find all the subtitles rather dull, so I decided to do Film Noir, so I could have my main character (a Private Eye) do a running monolog, like Sam Spade or Johnny Dollar did in their radio plays and movies.

The more I get into it, the more I see that it is like playing with professional programs like Adobe Premiere and Final Cut Pro.  When you do manual editing, it is surprisingly like a real editing program.  I just wish they let me do more with the sound, that is the real weak point.

I am already trying to decide what to do next in sandbox mode.  The game is nice for relaxing, but I find it hard to really be creative in it.  I once spent almost an hour editing and cutting a movie, just to get the same score as a movie that was done entirely by the computer.  Mostly, I am useing it to maky my own mechanime movies.  It certainly is a lot easier then the old way, of either going through hundreds of clips to find what I want, or playing hours of a video game to capture what I want.

If you want some help, here is a site with a few cheats and trainers.

http://www.gameburnworld.com/gp/trainers/themovies.shtml

I found the money and employee cheats help a lot.  This lets you have a huge number of people, so your stars always have an entorage.  And with unlimited money, you can decorate to your hearts content.  One thing that bugged me was having to worry about garbage.  Can you imagine Samuel B. Mayer worring about having enough janitors?  Having 30 of them lets me worry less about trash, and more about making movies.

Written By: Stompgal on 03/18/06 at 12:25 pm

I usually play PS1 and PS2 format games. My favourites include Bust-A-Move 3, Crash Nitro Kart, Spyro the Dragon and The Simpsons Road Rage. There are also games I play on the Internet such as Guess the Dictator or Sitcom Character, Guess the TV Show or Movie Name and games on message boards, including this one.

Written By: Apricot on 03/19/06 at 6:28 pm

My cousin burned me Diablo one a long time ago.. I lived at his house for about a month two or three years ago, and that's all I had to do during the day, so I played a lot.. I just dug up that old CD copy, and it's awesome.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/20/06 at 5:06 pm

If anybody likes horror movies, please check out my newest movie at "The Movies".

http://movies.lionhead.com/movie/67083

It is called "The Last Living Man", and it is loosely based on the story "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson.  This story was the origin of "The Last Man On Earth" with Vincent Price, "The Omega Man" with Charlton Heston, and "The Night Of The Living Dead".

I have several other movies up as well, feel free to view them also.

http://movies.lionhead.com/studio/Mushrom

If anybody else here has the game, let me know what studio you have, and I will check out your movies.

Written By: Skippy on 03/24/06 at 11:26 pm

Does anybody play freeware games like DX-Ball or retro remakes like Rodent's Revenge, Maniac Mansion, or Zak McKracken? How about FLASH games?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/25/06 at 4:27 am

Not much of a computer game player this day and age.

Here's what I play every so often:
The Sims: Open for Business (I like playing with the house building tools and learning new ways to make interesting houses. As for the game playing aspect, I don't do that too much  ::))
Simcity 4 (4000?): (Prefer this game with hacks, especially for large cities. I like being able to make your own buildings with an add-on called the BAT tool)
Civilisation 3 & 4: (Only just got into it)

Other games I play: old school games like Lemmings, etc. Arcade games (on this site) etc.

Don't care for shoot-em-up type games, car racing, sport simulation etc.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/25/06 at 4:41 am

Don't care for shoot-em-up type games,

Except for GTA, which probably isn't a "shoot-em-up" game really.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/25/06 at 9:42 am

Not much of a computer game player this day and age.

Here's what I play every so often:
The Sims: Open for Business (I like playing with the house building tools and learning new ways to make interesting houses. As for the game playing aspect, I don't do that too much  ::))
Simcity 4 (4000?): (Prefer this game with hacks, especially for large cities. I like being able to make your own buildings with an add-on called the BAT tool)
Civilisation 3 & 4: (Only just got into it)

Other games I play: old school games like Lemmings, etc. Arcade games (on this site) etc.

Don't care for shoot-em-up type games, car racing, sport simulation etc.

We play a lot of the same games.  I tend to play the "building" or "god" games.  I find it much more enjoyable then running around killing everything in sight.

I started to play Civilization when it first came out, in 1992.  I moved to 2, 3, and now 4.  I still drag it out when I want to do something else.

The same with Sim City, I remember the first one, it came with this nasty black on red copy protection sheet with these squares you had to match.  It was a pain in the butt to put in the code before you could play.

You might want to check out Black & White 2 and The Movies.

And yea, GTA is also a secret vice of mine.  I tend to play it mostly in a sandbox mode.  I love driving around listening to the radio stations, and killing the gang members.  :P

Written By: gibster on 04/03/06 at 9:38 am

You mean no one here plays World of Warcraft?

Hrmmph, guess I'm the only one...

Written By: Stompgal on 02/12/07 at 10:32 am

Right now I'm addicted to The Sims 2: Pets on PSP. Training my pets and creating my own Sims is fun, although the loading times on PSP format are slow. I also like my Disney Pixar Cars game, but I don't play it as much as The Sims 2: Pets.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/07 at 1:49 am

Currently trying to master Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition

Check for new replies or respond here...