inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rap Videos: Cheesy?

Written By: sonikuu on 03/16/06 at 5:26 pm

Last night, I was granted the "pleasure" of seeing several rap videos, in a row, from 2002 and 2003.  While watching these, I suddenly realized how low rap has sunk since then.  Sure, rap videos from 2002 and 2003 were flashy, but they weren't cheesy.  Cheesiness and flashiness are two different things. 

The rap videos I saw from 2002 and 2003 were flashy, but they weren't cheesy at all.  OK, maybe it had some cheesiness.  Still, they weren't nearly as cheesy as rap videos are today.  Compare 50 Cent's "In Da Club" to Nelly's "Grillz or D4L's "Laffy Taffy" (I'm ashamed to know who made that song).  You'll see rap videos nowadays are much, much cheesier than they were in 2002.  Sure, the videos from 2002 had flaws, but at least I wasn't laughing out loud at them like I did when I saw Grillz.

Does anyone else think that rap videos are much cheesier today than they were 3 or 4 years ago?  If so, how did this happen?  When did rap videos go from just plain flashy to being so cheesy it's not funny?

Subject: Re: Rap Videos: Cheesy?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/16/06 at 5:45 pm

Maybe they didnt seem quite as cheesy because they weren't so tired in '02. I really cant say if there's a difference or not as I haven't really seen many rap videos but maybe they just seem cheesier in 2006 because they've been watered down over the last 4 years.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/16/06 at 11:07 pm

Of course they're cheesy.

NWA, Ice Cube and Tupac aren't my favorites, but they're not cheesy.  At least they were innovative and creative, and not solely out to make a buck (well, Easy E was  ;D).  Rap in 1996 wasn't especially cheesy.

Cheesy rap started with Puff Daddy.  Most rap from 1997 to 2000 is pretty corny.  Then, in 2001-'02 there was another wave of rap, glam rap, which was fresh in 2002 but is extremely formulaic in 2006.  Nobody can honestly tell me "My Humps", "Pump It", "Grillz", "Ms. New Booty", and "Laffy Taffy" aren't cheesy.  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/16/06 at 11:12 pm

Rap videos used to be cheesy, but that was okay because the music was good and the video was just an afterthought.  I liked old-school rap; Beastie Boys, Fresh Prince, Public Enemy, Tone Loc, artists like that.  Pretty much the mid to late 80s and the very early 90s.  Once gangsta rap took over, I quit listening.  I just couldn't stomach it anymore.

Now, the "music" is so bad, the videos have to get more and more outrageous to detract from the sh*tty song, that these artists are going to disgusting lengths to get attention.  I can't understand how any partially-educated woman would allow themselves to be degraded like that.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/16/06 at 11:15 pm

Rap videos used to be cheesy, but that was okay because the music was good and the video was just an afterthought.  I liked old-school rap; Beastie Boys, Fresh Prince, Public Enemy, Tone Loc, artists like that.  Pretty much the mid to late 80s and the very early 90s.  Once gangsta rap took over, I quit listening.  I just couldn't stomach it anymore.

Now, the "music" is so bad, the videos have to get more and more outrageous to detract from the sh*tty song, that these artists are going to disgusting lengths to get attention.  I can't understand how any partially-educated woman would allow themselves to be degraded like that.

I think the Golden Age of hip hop was about 1986 to 1992.  The gangsta era is late 1992ish to 1996, and glam rap is 1997 to the present.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/17/06 at 10:51 am

I think the Golden Age of hip hop was about 1986 to 1992.  The gangsta era is late 1992ish to 1996, and glam rap is 1997 to the present.

Yeah that sounds pretty right. btw has anyone seen the video for Ms. new booty? Reluctantly I have ::)

Written By: gmann on 03/17/06 at 11:24 am

Yeah that sounds pretty right. btw has anyone seen the video for Ms. new booty? Reluctantly I have ::)

Check out my bling, yo.  :D

http://funweb.epfl.ch/site2004/celine/nelly.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/17/06 at 6:41 pm

Yeah that's cheese !  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/06 at 8:57 pm

Definitely cheesy. But then again, the whole music video genre is cheesy.  The video age kicked off with The Buggles' "Video Killed the Radio Star." It doesn't just look cheesy in 2006, it looked cheesy in 1981!
Now, there's GOOD cheesy and there's BAD cheesy.  Most rap videos fall into the latter. All that booty-shakin' and bling-bling is what you get when rappers have nothing to say worth hearing!
::)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/18/06 at 6:07 am

They should just make one generic music video...full of scantily clad chicks, and lots of dirty dancing so that whenever a new rap or hip-hop act wants to release a video, they can save the money and get the rights to this 'generic' video and play their own track to it. It would loop, so it would fit songs of all lengths. Cos' that's what it looks like to me. Just like a formula - if you have this, this and this it'll be a success. Some people are creative...just creatively boring.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/23/06 at 5:34 pm

Notice how most rap videos have fire or flames in them?  ??? ::) ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/24/06 at 7:10 am

Maybe it goes back to a tribal custom/ritual...

Check for new replies or respond here...