inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Death of the Telegram

Written By: Tia on 03/17/06 at 7:07 pm

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5186113

ANYBODY ELSE NOTICE THIS STORY RECENTLY STOP

THE TELEGRAM WHICH HAS BEEN AROUND FOR ABOUT A CENTURY QUIETLY WENT KAFLOOIE A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO STOP

WHO WILL MOURN THE PASSING OF THE TELEGRAM STOP

Subject: Re: Death of the Telegram

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/06 at 8:17 pm

I miss the Singing Telegram ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/06 at 9:06 pm

I knew the telegram still lurked as a form of telecommunication, but I never sent one.  I don't think I know anybody who has sent a telegram in the last, oh, thirty years!  You could have told me the last telegram got sent ten years ago and I wouldn't have batted an eye.

For a good piece of that 150 year history of the telegram it was all Morse Code.  You had to have a Morse Code expert on both ends of the line to enter and translate the Morse Code!

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/18/06 at 3:27 am

... .- -- ..- . .-..  -- --- .-. ... .  -- ..- ... -  -... .  ... .--. .. -. -. .. -. --.  .. -.  .... .. ...  --. .-. .- ...- .  ... - --- .--.

Written By: gmann on 03/18/06 at 11:58 am

"Fifteen cents a word to read / A telegram I didn't need."

Written By: Marian on 03/18/06 at 4:23 pm

Doesn't mr. Burns from the simpsons still use them,or is that the telegraph??? ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Tia on 03/19/06 at 10:29 am

Doesn't mr. Burns from the simpsons still use them,or is that the telegraph??? ;D ;D ;D
i think telegrams were originally sent over telegraphs. the telegram was the message, the telegraph the medium.

Check for new replies or respond here...