inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ever been arrested?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/18/06 at 11:54 am

I got arrested for the first (and let's hope the only) time last night.  I recently moved and a whole bunch of things got lost on the shuffle...one of which was an automotive excise tax from my old town.  Ooops!! I goofed bigtime!  I was so busy with my new job and my new place and all that I didn't go back to my old place to pick up my mail, so I didn't see the DMV was revoking my license.  So there I was driving around with a revoked license and it was only a matter of time before a local cop dropped in behind me and ran my plates.  That time was last night.  This morning, technically, it was 12:30 a.m.
So they had my care towed and impounded and they went through the whole arrest procedure.  I was cuffed, brought to the station, read my rights, and fingerprinted.  I got ahold of a buddy of mine who was willing to come down in the middle of the night and bail me out.  Heck of a time to be walking around with no cash!  Then I had to give them everything in my pockets, and then my shoes and my belt, and then they locked me in the holdng cell.  I sat there for three hours.  My friend showed up within the hour, but he had to just sit in the lobby because the cops were too busy with this other clown who was driving around in a stolen car.  This is not the first time this friend of mine has saved my bacon.  He's a true friend to be sure.

Every cloud has a silver lining, no matter how tissue paper-thin it may be. Sitting in the cell for three hours staring at the cement wall gave me ample opportunity to reconsider how I handle my obligations to the state!
:o
The arresting officer was a perfect gentleman to me, probably because I was perfect gentleman to him.  He could see I was just a poor schmoe who forgot to pay his excise tax!

Anyway...that was not fun, and very costly to boot.  They'll see me in court first thing Monday morning, 'coz if they don't, it's a bench warrant for another arrest!

So does anybody else have an arrest story they'd like to share? Don't post anything you're uncomfortable about posting. I was just wondering if anybody might have had a similar experience.

Subject: Re: Ever been arrested?

Written By: gmann on 03/18/06 at 12:05 pm

Never been arrested, but I probably came close at least one time.  :) During my college days, a friend invited me to a party some acquaintances were having that involved a *lot* of underage drinking. That in itself wasn't a problem for me...until the city police showed up and raided the place after complaints from the neighbors. Did I mention I was the only one there that was 21? Several of the kids got busted, but my buddy and I stealthily made our way out to his car while the cops were chasing the attendees around the backyard.

It's a lame story, but it's the best I've got. Next?

Written By: Stompgal on 03/18/06 at 12:22 pm

I was nearly arrested last Christmas for hitting my parents and locking them in the kitchen door because I was having violent outbursts. My mum called the police, but all they did was give me a warning and I haven't hit my parents since.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/18/06 at 12:32 pm

Hell no.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/18/06 at 2:23 pm

No, but I was once smoking behind the abandoned phone company building, threw it in my bag when a cop came by, and he assumed I was smoking weed and blew up at me.

Written By: Satish on 03/18/06 at 5:59 pm

They picked you up just for having an invalid licence? Were you committing some other traffic violation, or did they just run your plates at random? Boy, you sure were unlucky! Believe it or not, my mom was driving around for three years with an expired licence and nobody realized!  :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/18/06 at 6:52 pm

No.

Written By: La Roche on 03/18/06 at 6:53 pm

Urgh, that one sucks Max. Still, I guess it shouldn't be too hard to sort out.

I've been arrested 3 times, but the best was when I was arrested in Greece.

I was in a crowd of soccer fans and we were celebrating. Anyway, being very drunk things got exceptionally loud and the cops were called. I gotta admit, although there really wasn't much going on (I think there were a few fights) the cops we're great. They came in, cuffed EVERYBODY, anybody that resisted just got hit, we were put in the vans and taken to the cells. Nobody said a word to me, morning came and we were let out, not a word said.. Gotta admit, when it comes to being arrested, that's the way to do it.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/18/06 at 7:25 pm

Actually, I have been arrested.  I even spent some time in "Super Max" lockup in LA County.

In 1997, I was stopped for a blown tail light.  When the cop ran my license, it was discovered that it was revoked, and I had a bench warrant.  I had gotten a speeding ticket 2 years prior, and gotten community service.  But somehow it got lost in the paperwork, so off to jail I went.

Now this is not something that they would normally arrest you for, but this was in Orange County California, and they were trying to bail themselves out of bankruptcy at the time.  What a lot of people do not know is that if you are arrested in a different jurisdiction, the recieving juresdiction pays for the arrest, and also for each day you are held before you are transferred.

So after being held in City Jail for 2 days, I was sent to Orange County Jail.  I spent another 4 days there, before being forwarded to Los Angeles.  So OC got paid for arresting me, and for holding me for 6 days.

Once I was sent to court, I got one of the worst judges in the county.  She was well known for being harsh, and I had ticked her off the year before when I requested a change of judge during a small claims court hearing.  Needless to say she remembered me, and she sentenced me to the maximum, 90 days, with no chance to pay a fine.

Now LA has a major gang problem, and that often leads to riots in jail.  One of the ways they discovered that can be lessened is to mix in "short timers" like me, and the hardened gang members together.  They know we just want to do our time and go home, so we tend to lessen the problems with the other prisoners.  So I was shipped off to spend my time in "Super Maximum Lockup", about 30 miles North of LA.

Luckily, in LA you normally do about 1 day in 3.  So after 3 weeks in Super Max, I was released.  So after 28 days, I was released.

The funny thing is that when I was arrested, I had a full beard and long hair.  Everybody would ask how long I was in for and what they said I did (you never ask what somebody did, you ask what they say you did).  Nobody believed me that I got 90 days for failure to provide proof of community service for a speeding ticket.  Everybody called me "David Koresh", and most claimed that I was really in for either beating up a cop, or having illegal weapons.  The good thing is that because I looked so crazy, nobody messed with me at all.  I would have hated to have spent that month being somebodies girlfriend.  :P

Written By: loki 13 on 03/18/06 at 7:30 pm

Sorry to hear Max,I was arrested three times.Twice,for terroristic threats and
once for possession (honestly,it wasn't mine).The terroristic threats: one was for
chasing a kid for throwing rocks at cars,his parents had me arrested because he peed
his pants,I spent a few hours in a holding cell in Camden.The charges were dropped.
The other threat was telling an 18 year kid I would kill him if he touched my daughter,
she was 14 at the time.Again, a holding cell, this time I was printed and mug shots were
taken.A no contest plea and six months of no contact and a clean record.The possession,
when I was 17 we were being chased by another car, we wound up at a dead end,
after a short scuffle the fight was over.I tried to pull around the car to leave when the
cop pointed his gun me and screamed "STOP".What ever you say sir.A kid in the back
seat threw his weed under the seat.I was driving so i was responsible.No charges were
formely filed.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/18/06 at 9:04 pm

Unfortunately, yes, when I was sixteen.  :-[

Written By: whistledog on 03/18/06 at 9:19 pm

As a young teen, I was arrested for shoplifting three separate times.  You'd think after the first time, i'd learned my lesson  ::)

Written By: nally on 03/18/06 at 9:59 pm

Nope. Never.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/18/06 at 10:29 pm

nope.

Written By: rich1981 on 03/18/06 at 11:05 pm

Never.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/19/06 at 12:22 am

I once got hauled downtown and detained for questioning for a crime that I had no involvement in, and I was released about an hour or so later. Would that qualify as being arrested?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/19/06 at 12:43 am

Tonight, almost...after a cast party for A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, which
I'm in, three of my friends and I, all teenaged girls, were drinking a bottle of mixed strawberry daiquiri and rum in the car and driving around aimlessly while drinking it...the driver was 17. We couldn't go to my house, so we stopped at the McDonald's and asked for four cups of ice...by now we were pretty drunk. We then went to the parking lot of the Dunkin Donuts where I was dropped off and there was a cop car sitting right there. Luckily, nothing happened.

Written By: Satish on 03/19/06 at 10:28 am

They picked you up just for having an invalid licence? Were you committing some other traffic violation, or did they just run your plates at random? Boy, you sure were unlucky! Believe it or not, my mom was driving around for three years with an expired licence and nobody realized!  :D

Oh, and let me just mention that the auto-insurance company never even noticed that her licence was expired during that time. They let her policy remain valid. My mom even rented a car for a day from one of the major car-rental companies and they didn't catch her. It just goes to show that nobody ever checks these things!  :D

Written By: Tia on 03/19/06 at 10:34 am

i got arrested and charged with B&E and attempted arson when i was in college. see, you guys don't know how to REALLY party!

i got off though.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/19/06 at 2:24 pm

Naw. I was a good little girl. (Of course as I tell everyone, my horns are the only thing holding my halo up).  ;)

Cat

Written By: Marian on 03/19/06 at 4:25 pm

i got arrested and charged with B&E and attempted arson when i was in college. see, you guys don't know how to REALLY party!

i got off though.
what is B&E?

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/19/06 at 4:46 pm

what is B&E?

..'burning and escaping'??   ;D

Written By: La Roche on 03/19/06 at 4:46 pm

..'burning and escaping'??  ;D

... Breaking & entering...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/19/06 at 6:51 pm

I was picked up by Mays Landing (NJ) cops as a 13 year old runaway. I had run away from a foster home I was in that night because the parents were keeping me up that night,because of something I said I did(I was mentally ill at the time and I was decompensating, I was also abused by these parents as well as abuse in my first foster home which is probably what sent me off the rails)..I was raped that night, and I was walking down Main Street, pretty dazed, seriously f*cked up by the rape and my illness...I did a stint in Ancora (infamous state hospital in my area) and I was probably safer there than in foster care. Says a lot about how f*cked up NJ DYFS was back then and still is!

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/19/06 at 9:20 pm

I wouldn't get myself into such a situation. Not that I'm scared of going to jail, but what my mum'll do to me...

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/19/06 at 10:00 pm

I've had to chat with the police at times when intoxicated, but never had any arrests... knock wood...

Written By: jaytee on 03/20/06 at 4:04 pm

No.  A girlfriend and I were a bit "under the weather" and decided to walk home from the city one night and the cops gave us a lift home.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/20/06 at 10:24 pm

Hell no.
Well, good for you. You're so much better than everyone else.

Written By: La Roche on 03/20/06 at 10:30 pm

Shhh Al, you'll awaken the Kraken.

Written By: Tia on 03/20/06 at 10:56 pm

http://www.preemptivekarma.com/churchlady1.jpg

Written By: KKay on 03/21/06 at 9:53 am

Me: never arrested, never moving violation, nuthin.
BUT I have been the person everyone calls when they are in a jam and I have harbored criminals...well, my friend shot out a store window and then ran to my house and I hid him ( I was 15).
That's about it.

Written By: La Roche on 03/21/06 at 11:39 am

BUT I have been the person everyone calls when they are in a jam and I have harbored criminals...well, my friend shot out a store window and then ran to my house and I hid him ( I was 15).
That's about it.

I'm telling!

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/21/06 at 1:03 pm

That's about it.
You wouldn't happen to have a big crawl space underneath your house that I could use, would you?

Written By: La Roche on 03/21/06 at 1:10 pm

You wouldn't happen to have a big crawl space underneath your house that I could use, would you?

That's mine!!

Interestingly.. I have actually already called it, there's a closet though.

Written By: KKay on 03/21/06 at 1:21 pm

That's mine!!

Interestingly.. I have actually already called it, there's a closet though.

It's true, we have had that conversation.  Al, if you need I have a small shed in the back. 

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/21/06 at 1:41 pm

It's true, we have had that conversation.  Al, if you need I have a small shed in the back. 
Is there a band saw in the shed?  :o

Written By: KKay on 03/21/06 at 1:44 pm

Is there a band saw in the shed?  :o

that is just the kind of thinking we like here at KKay, Inc.
The shed is yours.
After a 3 month probationary period we will bring you water.

Written By: Tia on 03/21/06 at 2:00 pm

that is just the kind of thinking we like here at KKay, Inc.
The shed is yours.
After a 3 month probationary period we will bring you water.
Cloak-and-dagger Samantha has made you a little more hard-edge I think. It's good.

Written By: KKay on 03/21/06 at 2:05 pm

Cloak-and-dagger Samantha has made you a little more hard-edge I think. It's good.

(I better put this on the Cult thread)

Thanks!  You will send me your money.....you will surrender to meeeee.....
http://images.art.com/images/products/regular/10111000/10111060.jpg

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/22/06 at 5:41 pm

Hey, if the cops didn't pick me up the night I ran away...I would have acted on the feeling of wanting to kill myself...I was that depressed. As well as traumatized after just being sexually assaulted.

Check for new replies or respond here...