inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Generational Chart

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/18/06 at 2:40 pm

-BoomZ Cusp: 1963-1966
Generation X: 1964-1978
-XY Cusp: 1977-1980
Generation Y: 1979-1994
-YZ Cusp: 1993-1996
Generation Z: 1995-2008/2009

Reasons for putting earliest true Z at 1995:

-When people are saying that somebody born in 1995 would be a Generation Yer for experiencing the '00s, people forget 1965ers experienced the '70s plenty but their '80s experiences qualified them as Generation X, albeit with alot of '70s boomer in them.
-Somebody born in 1995 wouldn't remember the 20th century too well at all or pre-digital times, which a 1993er or even a 1994er might.
-They would be 6 on 9/11, they would probably remember the event but not enough to comprehend it.
-Though somebody can like pop culture when they're 10, their tastes usually change by the time they're 18. Many Generation Xers grew up under boomer culture but resented it, which I think a 1995er would.

Subject: Re: Generational Chart

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/18/06 at 2:43 pm

-BoomZ Cusp: 1963-1966
Generation X: 1964-1978
-XY Cusp: 1977-1980
Generation Y: 1979-1994
-YZ Cusp: 1993-1996
Generation Z: 1995-2008/2009

Reasons for putting earliest true Z at 1995:

-When people are saying that somebody born in 1995 would be a Generation Yer for experiencing the '00s, people forget 1965ers experienced the '70s plenty but their '80s experiences qualified them as Generation X, albeit with alot of '70s boomer in them.
-Somebody born in 1995 wouldn't remember the 20th century too well at all or pre-digital times, which a 1993er or even a 1994er might.
-They would be 6 on 9/11, they would probably remember the event but not enough to comprehend it.
-Though somebody can like pop culture when they're 10, their tastes usually change by the time they're 18. Many Generation Xers grew up under boomer culture but resented it, which I think a 1995er would.

Everybody different opinions on the years, really there are no years, you are what you want to be. It's not worth anymore argument, lol.

Written By: sonikuu on 03/18/06 at 3:37 pm

Hmm...the chart looks fine, but I do think the whole concept of cultural generations is flawed.  I do agree with the concept of generational "bridges" though.  I personally think cultural generations should be about ten years apart, rather than the fifteen to twenty years that many people accept. The reason I say is because I was born in 1989, and can't see myself having much in common with someone born in 1979, even though we're technically part of the same generation.  Sure, we may have some similarities, but we still have very different life experiences.  There are even cases where only two or three years can make a huge difference.

The simple fact is that cultural generations are generally shorter than people realize.  The person born in 1983 is obviously going to be much different than the person born in 1993.  It's that simple.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/18/06 at 3:44 pm

Hmm...the chart looks fine, but I do think the whole concept of cultural generations is flawed.  I do agree with the concept of generational "bridges" though.  I personally think cultural generations should be about ten years apart, rather than the fifteen to twenty years that many people accept. The reason I say is because I was born in 1989, and can't see myself having much in common with someone born in 1979, even though we're technically part of the same generation.  Sure, we may have some similarities, but we still have very different life experiences.  There are even cases where only two or three years can make a huge difference.

The simple fact is that cultural generations are generally shorter than people realize.  The person born in 1983 is obviously going to be much different than the person born in 1993.  It's that simple.

I agree the more I think about it, the more I realize it is flawed. Generations may exist, but not everybody is part of the stereotype because of their birth year. Some people don't belong to any specific generation really.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 03/18/06 at 9:54 pm

People will never agree on stuff like this, and it just goes in circles without a definitive answer. 

For what it's worth I'll say that since I was born in 1975, I consider my immediate generation to be people within 3 years of me.  So people born from 1972 to 1978 are the people I relate to the most.  When I meet someone born from 1972-'78, I know I am dealing with someone that grew up with a very similar culture (in the Western world) to my own.  Basically people in their late 20s and early 30s at the moment.

These are the people I went to high school with, either they were seniors when I was a freshmen or freshmen when I was a senior.  I break it down like that and it pretty much works for me. 

I think this approach would work for most everyone.

:) 

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/19/06 at 12:46 am

People will never agree on stuff like this, and it just goes in circles without a definitive answer. 

For what it's worth I'll say that since I was born in 1975, I consider my immediate generation to be people within 3 years of me.  So people born from 1972 to 1978 are the people I relate to the most.  When I meet someone born from 1972-'78, I know I am dealing with someone that grew up with a very similar culture (in the Western world) to my own.  Basically people in their late 20s and early 30s at the moment.

These are the people I went to high school with, either they were seniors when I was a freshmen or freshmen when I was a senior.  I break it down like that and it pretty much works for me. 

Yeah, I agree with that. That would make it 1987-1993 for me, but I think I could add 1986 in there as well, I relate to them alot, but not really 1985ers from the class of 2003.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/19/06 at 1:19 am

Going on what you said, and I think it's the best argument yet, my immediate generation are people born between 1979 and 1985; since I was born in 1982.  That pretty much fits my entire social click because , I don't have any friends born before or after those 6 years. 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/20/06 at 11:30 am

I totally agree. That's one of the things I have against the whole "generation" concept. I think a generation is supposed to last 20 years. But honestly the people born in the middle of the generation might have some things in common but come on, the people born at the very beginning and the tale end will be totally different! Take Gen Y for example. I have heard that it lasts from like 1981-2001. That's crazy! What would an '81er have in common with a '01er? I totally agree about the three year swing. I see kids born in about '92+ and there nothing like me. They dont remember things that I remember like yesterday(and I'm sure there's somebody born in the early 80's saying the same about me too ;)). I'd say people born between 1984-1991 are the people I have the most in common with.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/20/06 at 11:33 am

I totally agree. That's one of the things I have against the whole "generation" concept. I think a generation is supposed to last 20 years. But honestly the people born in the middle of the generation might have some things in common but come on, the people born at the very beginning and the tale end will be totally different! Take Gen Y for example. I have heard that it lasts from like 1981-2001. That's crazy! What would an '81er have in common with a '01er? I totally agree about the three year swing. I see kids born in about '92+ and there nothing like me. They dont remember things that I remember like yesterday(and I'm sure there's somebody born in the early 80's saying the same about me too ;)). I'd say people born between 1984-1991 are the people I have the most in common with.

Yea I agree the whole generation concept is a bunch of crap. I'm sick and tired of discussing it actually, most people really don't care about generations. I'm also starting to get tired of whining about the '00s, it's really not that bad people.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/20/06 at 11:41 am

Yea I agree the whole generation concept is a bunch of crap. I'm sick and tired of discussing it actually, most people really don't care about generations.

Exactly, the idea of trying to group together everybody that was born in a 20 year period together in terms of what music they like, clothes they wear, etc. is idiotic.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/20/06 at 11:44 am

Exactly, the idea of trying to group together everybody that was born in a 20 year period together in terms of what music they like, clothes they wear, etc. is idiotic.

Yea, I really think the only group that it works with is the boomers just because of all the change that occurred in the '60s and '70s. The boomers are actually the only reason they invented the whole generation system anyway, eventually I think it'll fade out because people will begin to realize it makes no sense.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/20/06 at 11:48 am

Yea, I really think the only group that it works with is the boomers just because of all the change that occurred in the '60s and '70s. The boomers are actually the only reason they invented the whole generation system anyway, eventually I think it'll fade out because people will begin to realize it makes no sense.

Yeah, people's taste's are so much more varied today that it's nearly impossible to classify people by there birth years anymore.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/20/06 at 11:50 am

Yeah, people's taste's are so much more varied today that it's nearly impossible to classify people by there birth years anymore.

Even Gen x only really works if you chop it down to a 5-10 year period, which isn't really a "generation". Same holds true for the so called gen y. And many people don't follow the mainstream which makes it even more stupid. In the end generations make no sense.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/20/06 at 5:49 pm

Really, culturally, it's more of a 5-10 year group. Like 1974-1983 is more of the "'90s" group, 1984-1993 is probably the "'00s group", 1954-1963 is the "'70s group", and 1964-1973 is the "'80s group." 20 year generations don't work overall, though I still think the generational cycle thing holds some validity. You're still able to classify people based on "experience" in world terms and alot of pop culture into generations, roughly, even if variegation occurs now and has occurred more than people think it had.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/20/06 at 5:57 pm

Really, culturally, it's more of a 5-10 year group. Like 1974-1983 is more of the "'90s" group, 1984-1993 is probably the "'00s group", 1954-1963 is the "'70s group", and 1964-1973 is the "'80s group." 20 year generations don't work overall, though I still think the generational cycle thing holds some validity. You're still able to classify people based on "experience" in world terms and alot of pop culture into generations, roughly, even if variegation occurs now and has occurred more than people think it had.

Exactly, every individual decade is different pop culturally than the one before it so if you have a 20 year generation in Gen Y just think a '81er  would be 20 in 2001 but a '01er wont be until 2021! Think about how different things will be by then. But I still think that generations do share similair experinces like you said velvetoneo, it's just music, etc. that I dont agree with.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/20/06 at 5:58 pm

Exactly, every individual decade is different pop culturally than the one before it so if you have a 20 year generation in Gen Y just think a '81er  would be 20 in 2001 but a '01er wont be until 2021! Think about how different things will be by then. But I still think that generations do share similair experinces like you said velvetoneo, it's just music, etc. that I dont agree with.

I think the roughly 20 year generations work for "experience" and roughly 10 year generations work for whatever the dominant pop culture you evolved under was.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/20/06 at 6:01 pm

I think the roughly 20 year generations work for "experience" and roughly 10 year generations work for whatever the dominant pop culture you evolved under was.

It works for some people but not for others. I think it's too over generalized and full of stereotypes.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/20/06 at 6:08 pm

It works for some people but not for others. I think it's too over generalized and full of stereotypes.

That's true. But then and again, there's always people who aren't of that generation, but most people have something in spirit and beliefs of the time they grew up, even if it's reacting against it. Like I know lots of boomers who never liked "boomer" music in high school, they liked jazz, classic pop, older folk, etc. This particularly applies to '70s people about the '60s. In some way, you're still a part of your generation, even if it's reacting against it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/20/06 at 6:11 pm

That's true. But then and again, there's always people who aren't of that generation, but most people have something in spirit and beliefs of the time they grew up, even if it's reacting against it. Like I know lots of boomers who never liked "boomer" music in high school, they liked jazz, classic pop, older folk, etc. This particularly applies to '70s people about the '60s. In some way, you're still a part of your generation, even if it's reacting against it.

Yeah being "anti Y" seems to actually be a "very Y" thing to be ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/20/06 at 6:15 pm

Yeah being "anti Y" seems to actually be a "very Y" thing to be ;D

Though most of us still sadly sort of have a Y attitude in our anti-Yness, which shows that we are still Y, however anti-Y we may be, and if in a peripheral and cynical and "anti-Y" way.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 5:47 pm

Baby Boom: end of 1945 - early 1964
Gen X: fall of 1964 - early 1981
Gen Y: late 1981 - mid 1995
Gen Z: late 1995 - 2012

Boomer/X cusp: 1959-1966
X/Y cusp: 1976-1985
Y/Z cusp: 1993-1997

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/30/06 at 5:55 pm

Baby Boom: end of 1945 - early 1964
Gen X: fall of 1964 - early 1981
Gen Y: late 1981 - mid 1995
Gen Z: late 1995 - 2012

Boomer/X cusp: 1959-1966
X/Y cusp: 1976-1985
Y/Z cusp: 1993-1997

I would put my generation between 1965-1985 broken down into a Buster (65-75) and Boomlet waves (76-85). The smallest span I would accept for my generation would be 65-81. That's because it's between two cultural breakwaters of the end of the Baby Boom(64) and the class of 2000 (82)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 5:56 pm

I would put my generation between 1965-1985 broken down into a Buster (65-75) and Boomlet waves (76-85). The smallest span I would accept for my generation would be 65-81. That's because it's between two cultural breakwaters of the end of the Baby Boom(64) and the class of 2000 (82)

Would you say Gen Y/Millenial is 1986-2005 then? I really don't want to be lumped in with kids born in the 21st Century.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/30/06 at 5:58 pm

Would you say Gen Y/Millenial is 1986-2005 then? I really don't want to be lumped in with kids born in the 21st Century.

When were you born? If you were born between 86-94 I'd put you as an "echoboomer".

I used the 65-85 timespan because it is a standard chronicallogical span that coincides the span of between the two babybooms (64)-(86)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 5:59 pm

When were you born?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 6:00 pm

I see my generation as being people more or less between Britney Spears and Dakota Fanning's age, or about late 1981 to 1994 or 1995.  These people would be able to remember the suburban late 20th Century, but would not find the presence of the Internet, etc. remarkable or futuristic, and would have come of age in the 2000s.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/30/06 at 6:02 pm

I see my generation as being people more or less between Britney Spears and Dakota Fanning's age, or about late 1981 to 1994 or 1995.  These people would be able to remember the suburban late 20th Century, but would not find the presence of the Internet, etc. remarkable or futuristic, and would have come of age in the 2000s.

I used the 65-85 timespan because it is a standard chronicallogical span that coincides the span of between the two babybooms (64)-(86)

I only brought up 65-81 because it's the smallest span I'd be able to accept with proof.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/30/06 at 6:03 pm

If you were born between 86-94 I'd put you as an "echoboomer".

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 6:04 pm

I agree...my generation is people born between like late 1981 and mid 1995 or so. In an extended sense, some aspects of it probably go back to 1978. There's definitely a change around the people born in late 1981, like they seem much more relatable to me than somebody even born in 1978 does.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/30/06 at 6:06 pm

I agree...my generation is people born between like late 1981 and mid 1995 or so. In an extended sense, some aspects of it probably go back to 1978. There's definitely a change around the people born in late 1981, like they seem much more relatable to me than somebody even born in 1978 does.

That would then coincide between the cultural markers between the class of 2000 (82) and the end of the Echoboom(95)

Check for new replies or respond here...