inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Actresses of the 00s

Written By: Carl on 03/20/06 at 1:47 pm

I don't know about you, but I agree with what Lauren Bacall said about many of them today: they almost ALL look alike! I mean, how can you tell certain ones, same hair style, thin, too thin is what I mean. In some cases it looks unhealthy! Don't understand why so many have to resort to practically starving themselves and doing all this unecessary plastic surgery and all. I know it may seem like I'm bashing this era today, but I can't believe I'm a minority on this.

Subject: Re: Actresses of the 00s

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/21/06 at 4:29 am

Hmm, I don't really think they all look alike. And yeah, of course, the leading actresses always had to 'look' a certain way, it really isn't all that different than the 'old days' when the standards were much higher. I don't think the current match of hollywood actresses are that good looking anyway...take Rene Zellweger, I know many would disagree, but she's probably below average in terms of attractiveness. Even Angelina Jolie isn't the hottie she's made out to be in real life...And there are many actresses who don't have plastic surgery done, I just can't name any  ;D.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/21/06 at 5:49 am

Lauren Bacall never did it for me anyway.  Looks and sounds like a drunken sailor.

My most recent fave?  Caitlin Keats the ultra-babe from those Oil of Olay commercials ("I'm only 29") and the Jeep commercials where she uses the sunset to score a basket.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1021721/

Written By: 90sto2000sfanrob on 03/21/06 at 6:28 am

The three best actress in America are Meryl Streep, Joan Allen and Laura Linney. They're all emotionally dedicated to all their roles and become the characters. I'd say some of the younger actresses aren't too impressive. Charlize Theron is an excellent actress with beauty and star power. But I've noticed male performances have been dominant to female performances in hollywood. I don't mean that in a stereotypical way. Just watching the oscars in the past 10 years shows the male performances have usually been superior to the female. I don't know why. I think women are forced in hollywood as sex symbols first and talent second. Especially the younger ones.  Thats just my theory from watching a lot of oscar nominated movies.

Just my opinion. I love women actresses but I wish hollywood would stop relying on their sex symbol. Meryl Streep is the greatest actress in my opinion.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/21/06 at 8:54 am

So you think acting talent has been pushed to the shadows in favour of glitz and glamour? That's really nothing new...Hollywood has always had a lot of mediocre actors/actresses, a few good ones, and perhaps a handful of brilliant actors. I would agree with you on Meryl Streep...haven't seen many movies with the other two, but I also think 'less attractive' actresses like Sissey Spacek have also been really good at what they do.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/21/06 at 12:33 pm

Julianne Moore combines supreme, angelic, and disarming attractiveness with transcendental acting skills. Along with Kate Winslet, she is to me the definition of the perfect "movie star" actress.

Written By: Carl on 03/21/06 at 12:46 pm

Julianne Moore combines supreme, angelic, and disarming attractiveness with transcendental acting skills. Along with Kate Winslet, she is to me the definition of the perfect "movie star" actress.

Very well put!  ;)

Written By: Electric Youth on 03/21/06 at 2:03 pm

A few actresses like Ashley Tisdale, Scarlett Johansen, and Brittany Murphy are good actresses...

though they appear to waste their talents and me more focused on being famous, their "looks", and parties

Written By: whistledog on 03/21/06 at 4:40 pm

One of the best of the new actresses for the 00s is Rachel McAdams (and i'm not just saying that cause she's gorgeous and she's Canadian LOL).  I was quite moved by her performance in 'The Notebook'. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/21/06 at 6:29 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/21/06 at 7:05 pm

The three best actress in America are Meryl Streep, Joan Allen and Laura Linney.

Oh yeah, Laura Linney definitely.

Babe-o-licious.  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...