inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Pop Cultural Changes Will Occur in the '10s?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/21/06 at 6:39 pm

IMO,

-Revival of rock and roll, influenced by the 60s/70s (particularly Janis Joplin) and '90s and late '80s grunge and alt rock.
-Revival of singer-songwriters.
-Revival of neon colors and late '80s-early '90s hip-hop fashion or at least influence of it.
-Alternative hip hop.
-Sitcoms.
-Simpler fashion.
-Less materialistic and status-y ethos.
-True activism is somewhat fashionable.
-Revival of interest in non-digital animation and published comic books and zines within the "alternative" community.
-Wood paneling comes back.

Subject: Re: What Pop Cultural Changes Will Occur in the '10s?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/21/06 at 6:42 pm

I think the 10's will have a very "early 90's" vibe to it. But it wont start up to about 2012. 2010 and 2011 will have a slight "00's" feel to them.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/21/06 at 6:50 pm

I think the 10's will have a very "early 90's" vibe to it. But it wont start up to about 2012. 2010 and 2011 will have a slight "00's" feel to them.

Yeah, 2010 and 2011 will probably have a slight '00s feel to them, but it will be so far past its peak by then. The '10s stuff will be in the underground waiting to come out.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/22/06 at 11:11 am

Yeah, 2010 and 2011 will probably have a slight '00s feel to them, but it will be so far past its peak by then. The '10s stuff will be in the underground waiting to come out.

Yeah, I think we'll pretty much be out of the peak by late 2008, but I still think 2009, '10, and '11 will have a slight 00's vibe to them. I think alternative hip-hop as you mentioned will be big in the '10's because I believe that glam rap will start to grow on its fans soon.

Written By: Ebontyne on 03/22/06 at 1:04 pm

I hope we start saying "twenty-ten," "twenty-eleven" and so on instead of continuing this "two-thousand" crap. ;)

Written By: Roadgeek on 03/22/06 at 1:29 pm

I'm looking forward to the '10s. It will sure be a few or more steps up from the '00s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/22/06 at 7:37 pm

I'm looking forward to the '10s. It will sure be a few or more steps up from the '00s.

Yeah, i'm really looking foward to the 10's too. I dont really mind the 00's but i'm just ready for something new

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/22/06 at 10:30 pm

We are kind of in the late 80's/early 90's vibe now. I have a feeling 2010-2015 will have more of a mid to late 90's feel to it, while the later half will be more like the early 00's (which was pretty much a continuation of the 90's). Of course "the teens", as I think it will be called, will also have it's own unique style. I think a new type of alternative rock will evolve through the decade, as well as some other genres.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/23/06 at 1:56 am

We are kind of in the late 80's/early 90's vibe now. I have a feeling 2010-2015 will have more of a mid to late 90's feel to it, while the later half will be more like the early 00's (which was pretty much a continuation of the 90's). Of course "the teens", as I think it will be called, will also have it's own unique style. I think a new type of alternative rock will evolve through the decade, as well as some other genres.

Actually, I disagree. It's closer to 25 years for an era to become retro. For better or worse, the late '80s/early '90s are at that inbetween point of being too recent to really be retro, but too old to be current. I think we're inbetween a '70s and '80s revival now. It's more the early/MTV/Thriller/new wave '80s coming into fashion now, I believe.

IMO:

50s revival - 1974-86
60s revival - 1987-93
70s revival - 1994-04
80s revival - 2005+ (est. 2013)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/23/06 at 2:02 am

Pop culturally I'm looking forward to them too. I'm not looking forward to everything being 4-14 years older (including me) than it is right now, though. Hell, 1980 will be 40 freakin' years ago by the end of the decade!!

Anyway, in short, I really do think there'll be a backlash against the glam rap/emo/reality TV crazed '00s. It might not be as original as, say the '60s or the '80s, or even the '90s, but I'm sure it'll be different than right now. I really agree about singer songwriters. Partly because every other decade seems to have 'em (the '70s, and to a lesser extent, the '90s, so it would stand to reason the '10s would too).

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/23/06 at 12:29 pm

Pop culturally I'm looking forward to them too. I'm not looking forward to everything being 4-14 years older (including me) than it is right now, though. Hell, 1980 will be 40 freakin' years ago by the end of the decade!!

Anyway, in short, I really do think there'll be a backlash against the glam rap/emo/reality TV crazed '00s. It might not be as original as, say the '60s or the '80s, or even the '90s, but I'm sure it'll be different than right now. I really agree about singer songwriters. Partly because every other decade seems to have 'em (the '70s, and to a lesser extent, the '90s, so it would stand to reason the '10s would too).

Yeah, I agree, it's an "every other decade" thing. I think the revival of like 1982-era culture started in 2003 or about, '70s nostalgia went until 2002. So maybe it's a 21 year revival? I think currently we're in a "1984/1985ish" revival. Probably it'll peak about 2006-2008 (revivals usually peak about 17 years after the end of the decade, the '70s revival peaked at about 1996-1998).

I agree the 1989ish era is still a bit too new to become retro, probably at about 2010 stuff like In Living Color, Married with Children, '90s techno, M.C. Hammer, Tracy Chapman will get big retro attention. Maybe even the "dusky colors with dreadlocks and jeans" thing will come back, which strikes me as very early '90s. Probably the 2010s from about 2012-2013 on will have an "early '90s"-style thing going on, with lots of 1989-1995 references.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/23/06 at 2:00 pm

I totally agree. There will be a huge backlash agianst the 00's in the 2010's and there will a huge 90's(specifically 1991-1997)revival due to the fact of 90's kids getting older(Most 90's kids will be reaching there 20's and 30's) and the teens of the 10's were born in the late 90's/early 00's and cant remember them will be wanting to revive them.

Written By: sonikuu on 03/23/06 at 5:23 pm

Ah, the 2010's.  Certainly, the future is very hard to predict and I see no reason to do so.  I mean, I do believe there will be a backlash against the 00's, and I do think some 90's aspects may be cool again, but I'm not going to predict a time period still 4 years in the future.  After all, could people in the 80's imagine 90's pop culture?  Or people in the early 90's imagining what pop culture is like today?  Clearly not.  I do think there will be some things occurring in pop culture in the 2010's that no one in 2006 could've ever predicted.

Also, let us keep in mind that there is a different between the changes we WANT to occur and the changes that WILL occur.  When many people predict the future of pop culture, it's almost always what they want, which doesn't reflect what might really occur.

On that note, I do hope Alternative/Grunge will come back, as well as a more hardcore form of Rap.  However, I also kind of think we need some positive rock bands, bands who have an optimistic view on life.  Ever since Grunge, nearly every rock band has been focused on pessimistic subject matter in some way or another.  While I generally prefer this style, it has been extremely overdone.  When one looks at the Nu Metal and Emo, it's pretty easy to see why "Glam Rap" is more popular.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/23/06 at 5:37 pm

Yeah, I'm going to be really sad how old everything's getting.  Hell, I remember back in 2000ish hearing "Every Breath You Take" and the DJ on the radio saying it was the popular song 17 years ago.  That almost seems miraculous now!  ;D

I think the tens will be really original.  Actually, the Zeroes are a lot easier to pinpoint than the '90s, but they've held up/embraced so much 1990s culture that they seem like a more cartoonish, glam version of the decade.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/23/06 at 6:03 pm

I really hope sitcoms do come back in. The 2000s is VERY deficient as far as sitcoms. 

Singer-songwriters have been missing too for the most part, so I hope that is back in the 2010s.

I don't know what you mean by wood panelling, Tony..

I really hope grunge does NOT come back though.  I despise it and I think alot of what is wrong with rock in the 2000s comes from grunge and the very overrated Kurt Cobain.  I want more positive and fun rock like back in the 60s and 70s.  I'd also think it to be really cool if long hair were to come back in for men.  In the 00s, shaggy hair has kind of made a comeback, but there aren't really many guys with LONG hair anymore.

Basically.. I want the late 60s/early 70s back. :(

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/23/06 at 6:07 pm

I really hope grunge does NOT come back though.  I despise it and I think alot of what is wrong with rock in the 2000s comes from grunge and the very overrated Kurt Cobain.  I want more positive and fun rock like back in the 60s and 70s.  I'd also think it to be really cool if long hair were to come back in for men.  In the 00s, shaggy hair has kind of made a comeback, but there aren't really many guys with LONG hair anymore.

I agree here, for the most part.  I love Nirvana, but aside from them I think Grunge is incredibly boring, and is partly why hip hop became the new rock and roll. 

Grunge isn't dead.  It just turned into a corporate mess, and then you got third-wave ska, "alternative", rap metal, nu metal, pop punk, and then finally emo, which are all really grunge-based in some fashion or another.    Even indie rock inherits some boringness from Grunge, although I think indie rock is the best rock genre this decade has to offer.

If it "came back" in the Tens it wouldn't really be coming back, it would just be reinforced.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/23/06 at 6:33 pm

I really hope sitcoms do come back in. The 2000s is VERY deficient as far as sitcoms. 

Singer-songwriters have been missing too for the most part, so I hope that is back in the 2010s.

I don't know what you mean by wood panelling, Tony..

Basically.. I want the late 60s/early 70s back. :(

The early '70s weren't that great, they were a giant letdown.

I think we'll start seeing wood-paneled computers as tech becomes more invasive and people want to humanize it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/23/06 at 7:18 pm

I agree here, for the most part.  I love Nirvana, but aside from them I think Grunge is incredibly boring, and is partly why hip hop became the new rock and roll. 

Grunge isn't dead.  It just turned into a corporate mess, and then you got third-wave ska, "alternative", rap metal, nu metal, pop punk, and then finally emo, which are all really grunge-based in some fashion or another.    Even indie rock inherits some boringness from Grunge, although I think indie rock is the best rock genre this decade has to offer.

If it "came back" in the Tens it wouldn't really be coming back, it would just be reinforced.

Yeah, I agree a grunge comback would be more or less just a revival of its orginal sound in the early 90's. 2000's rock is all pretty much just watered down grunge anyway so I also hope something else makes a comeback in the 10's.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/23/06 at 8:39 pm

The early '70s weren't that great, they were a giant letdown.

Yeah but they still had the counterculture dominating things, it was before disco and pop-rock like Aerosmith and Boston hit it big.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/23/06 at 8:43 pm

Yeah, I agree a grunge comback would be more or less just a revival of its orginal sound in the early 90's. 2000's rock is all pretty much just watered down grunge anyway so I also hope something else makes a comeback in the 10's.

Rock N Roll needs to stop trying to re-create Nevermind.  I hope that when today's teenagers are the ones making the music in the 2010s we'll move back toward a more classic rock-like sound.  Rock needs it's machismo back! Screw all of this emo/morose crap, we need some fun rock back.  Not angry rock, not whiney rock, but rock that is about sex, drugs etc. like the old days.  And also some of the rock was philosophical then, without getting into the pretentious, boring, whiney crap.  Like Pink Floyd or the Moody Blues.  Also, the guitar work now is BOOOOOOOOOOORING.  What happened to really long solos, distortion etc.? Rock has also been missing the influence from Blues it used to have.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/23/06 at 8:48 pm

Actually, I disagree. It's closer to 25 years for an era to become retro. For better or worse, the late '80s/early '90s are at that inbetween point of being too recent to really be retro, but too old to be current. I think we're inbetween a '70s and '80s revival now. It's more the early/MTV/Thriller/new wave '80s coming into fashion now, I believe.

IMO:

50s revival - 1974-86
60s revival - 1987-93
70s revival - 1994-04
80s revival - 2005+ (est. 2013)

Yeah, I guess. I was just thinking because this year reminds me of 1990 (with the lack of good music and economic changes), and 2005 reminded me a lot of 1989 (a good Batman movie, a hand-held video game system, and music that's a mix of rap and soul), that the following years will continue to follow the 16 year repeat pattern. Therefore, I was predicting 2008 to be more like 1992, and 2010 to be more like 1994, and so on. However, the similarities between the years do not necessily mean revival of those years, since even though those years are similar, the years of the 2000's and 2010's are/will be unique in their own way.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/23/06 at 11:08 pm

(a good Batman movie,

Damn straight!  I can't wait for the sequel in 2008. Joker baby! 8)

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/24/06 at 7:28 pm

I also think alot of the "introspective" rock that was around in the '70s has that magical, rock-star quality, like Laura Nyro and Joni Mitchell, which "introspective" lack rocks today. It's just whiny, not wondrous. I think the Pixies, Sonic Youth, Liz Phair, the Go-Gos, Jane's Addiction, etc. are a good example of what I'd like to happen again in rock, with a more than healthy dose of classic rock.

I'm going to add another question: What trends do you think there will be in the 2010s?

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/24/06 at 10:18 pm

Yeah the issues tackled in rock seem less deep, less profound, and more fleeting and temporal...

As for the early 70s, they were one of my favourite periods musically/culturally. Within the twentieth century, I think mainstream music peaked between 1967-1975 (between about the Monterey Pop Festival and the decline of bands such as Led Zep). There just seemed more meaning to that period than the hedonistic late 70s-80s.

Written By: 90sto2000sfanrob on 03/25/06 at 1:20 pm

Movies will be shot digitally for cheaper more effiecent costs

Ashlee Simpson will have some obscure reality show on E

Early 90s styles will seem ancient and suddenly come back into style

Saturday Night Live will improve dramatically. Talent scouts will start using the internet to find funny people like they do with night clubs now

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/25/06 at 9:54 pm

I think we'll start seeing the Gumby haircut in like 2011 or so, and Kriss Kross and backwards clothing and neon colors nostalgia at about the same time. I agree that rock needs to stop trying to recreate Nevermind and just make good, listenable music, and the alt rock scene needs to de-ironicize and take some Prozac.

Written By: Patrick O'Brien on 03/25/06 at 11:27 pm

OMG In 2011 I graduate from highschool It fells weird i remember the 90s so well and i am graduating in 11 it seams so long from the 90s

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/26/06 at 1:36 am

I think we'll start seeing the Gumby haircut in like 2011 or so, and Kriss Kross and backwards clothing and neon colors nostalgia at about the same time. I agree that rock needs to stop trying to recreate Nevermind and just make good, listenable music, and the alt rock scene needs to de-ironicize and take some Prozac.

I hope they don't come back .... but who knows.  people would be more than happy to "bring the '90s back".

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/26/06 at 2:11 am

I hope they don't come back .... but who knows.  people would be more than happy to "bring the '90s back".

Most nostalgia things don't come back because people directly miss them, but because they miss the era they represent. The '90s will seem like a golden, happy decade to so many people soon that people will be as happy to bring the early-mid '90s back in the '10s as people were to bring the '70s back in the '90s. I think the whole of the '10s will try and get alot of the '90s spirit and bring back alot of graphic and visual concepts and styles, and just the general zeitgeist.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/26/06 at 5:04 am

de-ironicize and take some Prozac.

Is that a word? No, I like it, and good point.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/26/06 at 9:37 am

Is that a word? No, I like it, and good point.

Thanks for liking my new word  :)! I actually think all of culture, and particularly hipster culture, needs mass forced de-ironicization in internment camps.

Written By: Ebontyne on 03/26/06 at 2:00 pm

Most nostalgia things don't come back because people directly miss them, but because they miss the era they represent. The '90s will seem like a golden, happy decade to so many people soon that people will be as happy to bring the early-mid '90s back in the '10s as people were to bring the '70s back in the '90s. I think the whole of the '10s will try and get alot of the '90s spirit and bring back alot of graphic and visual concepts and styles, and just the general zeitgeist.

I wonder if the election of Hillary Rodham Clinton as president in 2008 would reinforce (or possibly hamper?) a '90s nostalgia trend. Of course, I don't know whether or not she will be elected (or even nominated), but if she were, I wonder what effect it would have on the popular culture...

Check for new replies or respond here...