inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pennsylvania girl goes home after 10 year captivity

Written By: Mushroom on 03/23/06 at 3:52 pm

Well, here is the kind of news I like to hear.

Tanya Kach was 14 when she dissapeared in February 1996.  She has finally been reunited with her parents, and the man who held her for the last decade is facing multiple charges.

The man was a school security guard, who kept her locked up for the first 4 years.  When she turned 18 he finally started to let her out of the house, and used mind games to keep her docile and in his control.  She finally let a storeowner know her real identity, and he was able to arrange her return to her family.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/23/AR2006032300404.html

Subject: Re: Pennsylvania girl goes home after 10 year captivity

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/23/06 at 6:54 pm

Well, here is the kind of news I like to hear.

Tanya Kach was 14 when she dissapeared in February 1996.  She has finally been reunited with her parents, and the man who held her for the last decade is facing multiple charges.

The man was a school security guard, who kept her locked up for the first 4 years.  When she turned 18 he finally started to let her out of the house, and used mind games to keep her docile and in his control.  She finally let a storeowner know her real identity, and he was able to arrange her return to her family.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/23/AR2006032300404.html

I've been watching the news accounts here in Pittsburgh and somehow I think there is a bit more to the story than we've heard so far.  I guess time will tell...  :-\\

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/23/06 at 7:51 pm

I'm just wondering why it took her so long to tell someone about it. I mean, surely, it can't be that hard to communicate with the outside world...considering you have ten years to do it.

Written By: Schillingfan on 03/23/06 at 10:08 pm

I found this out on the Doe Network, glad she's okay!  :)

Written By: Mushroom on 03/23/06 at 10:33 pm

I'm just wondering why it took her so long to tell someone about it. I mean, surely, it can't be that hard to communicate with the outside world...considering you have ten years to do it.

This is not as unusual as you may think.  And it has happened many times before.

Predators like to go after children between 11-14.  This is because their adult personalities are just forming, and they are easily manipulated.  THeir bodies are changing, and they also are trying to seperate to one degree or another from their parents.

This is called "grooming".  You take the child, and convince them that their parents do not love them.  Since most of us at that age fought with our own parents, we can understand how that may sound true.  And apparently her parents were already having marriage troubles, yet another thing that thes predators look for.

He basically kept her a prisoner for 4 years.  In doing so, he removed all outside influences.  In this way, they only know what they want the child to know.  Over time, this bond can be very strong.

This is similar to what happened to Elizabeth Smart.  During the year she was being held, the couple told her that they loved her more then anybody else did, and that she really belonged with them.

If anybody remembers the movie "I Know My Name Is Steven", you have an idea how this can happen.  In fact, there is a clinical name, "Stockholm Syndrome".  The famous Dog Day Afternoon bank robbery is a real life example of this.  During the course of the incident, a lot of the hostages actually started to side with their captors.

There may well be more then we know at the moment.  She may have been a runaway who he took in.  But no matter what, what he did was criminal, perverted, and needs to be dealt with harshly.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/24/06 at 7:03 am

Oh yeah, I get it now. Of course I knew it wasn't a straight out case of holding against one's will, but yeah, I c...

Written By: KKay on 03/24/06 at 10:37 am

$200 bail?
That's it?

Written By: kellygoo72 on 03/25/06 at 2:39 am

This is not as unusual as you may think.  And it has happened many times before.

Predators like to go after children between 11-14.  This is because their adult personalities are just forming, and they are easily manipulated.  THeir bodies are changing, and they also are trying to seperate to one degree or another from their parents.

This is called "grooming".  You take the child, and convince them that their parents do not love them.  Since most of us at that age fought with our own parents, we can understand how that may sound true.  And apparently her parents were already having marriage troubles, yet another thing that thes predators look for.

He basically kept her a prisoner for 4 years.  In doing so, he removed all outside influences.  In this way, they only know what they want the child to know.  Over time, this bond can be very strong.

This is similar to what happened to Elizabeth Smart.  During the year she was being held, the couple told her that they loved her more then anybody else did, and that she really belonged with them.

If anybody remembers the movie "I Know My Name Is Steven", you have an idea how this can happen.  In fact, there is a clinical name, "Stockholm Syndrome".  The famous Dog Day Afternoon bank robbery is a real life example of this.  During the course of the incident, a lot of the hostages actually started to side with their captors.

There may well be more then we know at the moment.  She may have been a runaway who he took in.  But no matter what, what he did was criminal, perverted, and needs to be dealt with harshly.
  I totally agree with ur statement.. i mean, when u are beaten emotionally, it take yrs to rise above it.. I just hate when people are like, why didnt u run or tell someone.. Until u walk in someone elses shoes, it so hard to tell what u would do.. Im so glad she made it back home... What relief... I hope she gets some help.. The worst thing u can do is blame urself u know, shes the victim... i love my family but when I was raped at age 7 and didnt tell anyone till i was 15, everyone was like, why didnt I tell... It was left at my doorstep, I was the victim.. whop knows why I didnt tell but Im glad I did.. I pray she stays safe and rises above all of this!

Check for new replies or respond here...