inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Changing music tastes

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/23/06 at 8:18 pm

Were your tastes/preferences in music the same 5-10 years ago? I'm just amazed how much mine have changed, and how much some peoples' haven't ( ::)).

For instance, in 2000, my fave bands/artists were: Blink 182, Offspring, Smashmouth, Garbage, U2, Crowded House (I still like some of them)

Now in 2006, they would include The Doors, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Elliott Smith, End of Fashion, Sarah Blasko, Jebediah (well sort of), Feist.etc

Just interesting to see how your interest in music has changed, and how its influenced by other factors.

Subject: Re: Changing music tastes

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/23/06 at 11:15 pm

My music tastes haven't changed that much really. I still like just about all of the songs that I liked in 2000. I do listen to a lot larger variety of music now than I did back then though.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/23/06 at 11:18 pm

I used to listen to the shiznit my brother likes, now I listen almost entirely to synth pop and the Top 40 radio (although the Top 40 only on radio).

I also listen to really bad music.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/23/06 at 11:19 pm

Me too lol.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/23/06 at 11:24 pm

Me too lol.

I download the most terrible music, as long as it's laughably cheesy.  It puts a smile on my face.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/23/06 at 11:26 pm

I download the most terrible music, as long as it's laughably cheesy.  It puts a smile on my face.

I was listening to that horrific crap Ms. New Booty, it is actually funny. "Booty, booty, booty rockin everywhere" Bubba is a lyrical genius!

Written By: rich1981 on 03/23/06 at 11:33 pm

Were your tastes/preferences in music the same 5-10 years ago? I'm just amazed how much mine have changed, and how much some peoples' haven't ( ::)).

For instance, in 2000, my fave bands/artists were: Blink 182, Offspring, Smashmouth, Garbage, U2, Crowded House (I still like some of them)

Now in 2006, they would include The Doors, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Elliott Smith, End of Fashion, Sarah Blasko, Jebediah (well sort of), Feist.etc

Just interesting to see how your interest in music has changed, and how its influenced by other factors.

My tastes have changed dramatically as well from that time too, as I was listening to many of the bands you've listed (esp Blink 182/Offspring) and numetal and now I listen to a wider variety, spanning classical rock, new wave and punk, even classical. My brother has influenced me in changing my musical taste as well and even this site has changed it to a large degree, and I admit some new artists I now listen to were listed by members of this site. I rarely listen to the radio but when I do, it's an 80's station or 105.3 which plays rock music.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/23/06 at 11:53 pm

Were your tastes/preferences in music the same 5-10 years ago?

Yes and no. Around 60% of the music I was listening to at 16 I still listen to now. Around 20% of what I was listening to at 11 I still listen to now. I can't remember what I was listening to at age 6, so can't comment on that.

I like to think my music taste hasn't changed but progressed through time.

Written By: whistledog on 03/23/06 at 11:54 pm

10 years ago, I was listening to 80's music and current dance music.  5 years ago, I was still listening to the same, but add in a little British rock and 70's music.  Now, throw in some 60's, and I listen to it all :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/24/06 at 6:48 am

I used to listen to the shiznit my brother likes, now I listen almost entirely to synth pop and the Top 40 radio (although the Top 40 only on radio).

Really bad music? Top 40 IS really bad music?

(ok, that was a generalisation).

I don't really find any novelty in listening to bad music. I really cannot stand it. When a crap song comes on the radio I feel like smashing it (well, maybe thats an overstatement). However, there are some songs I like for their 'camp' value, but are actually enjoyable to listen to.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/24/06 at 10:42 am

Really bad music? Top 40 IS really bad music?

(ok, that was a generalisation).

I don't really find any novelty in listening to bad music. I really cannot stand it. When a crap song comes on the radio I feel like smashing it (well, maybe thats an overstatement). However, there are some songs I like for their 'camp' value, but are actually enjoyable to listen to.

95% of the radio is bad music.  I mostly listen to it to study current trends.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/24/06 at 10:59 am

Were your tastes/preferences in music the same 5-10 years ago?

No not really. In 2000 I still liked rap(specifically early glam rap) and since 2001 i've pretty much liked only rock(with an occasional rap or pop song here and there), but as far as what genre's of rock I like i'd say I go through periods where I listen to a certain genre but after about 4-5 months get tired of it and I pick up another one.

The odd thing is I was in a grunge phase about 4 months ago when I got out of it I came into an 80's rock phase :D

Written By: Carl on 03/24/06 at 12:52 pm

I'll listen to whatever sounds good really

Written By: 90sto2000sfanrob on 03/24/06 at 1:02 pm

My musical taste has pretty much been the same this century, i'm 19 by the way.

I've liked The Doors, David Bowie, Nirvana, Rolling Stones, The Animals, Bob Dylan
Smashing Pumpkins, Led Zeppelin, The Misfitis, etc, pretty much all of this century. I never got into
emo despite my friends listening to it around me. I think my musical taste will always be the same enless
I find something interesting in contemporary music or future music.

Written By: gmann on 03/24/06 at 1:34 pm

Ten years ago I was a punk/new wave fanatic. I was into The Clash, Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, Bad Religion, etc. While I still like most of that stuff, I've since started listening to jazz and singer/songwriter stuff. John Coltrane and Elliot Smith are just as likely to be on my stereo as The Who.  8)

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/24/06 at 2:52 pm

10 years ago - I listened to whatever other folks around me (mainly family) listened to.
5 years ago - I listened to pop/rock mainly, a little crossover stuff from other genres, 60's-00's but mainly 60's and 80's
Now - Still listen to same as five years ago and maybe 2-3 years ago started picking up the stuff from 10 years ago also, but have tried to expand. Also listen to country and more R&B and rap, but not as much as I'd like. Also have less focus on 60's/80's and try to get more of a mixture. Also have added 50's stuff in the past year or so, which I rarely used to listen to.

So I guess it hasn't changed so much as broadened.

Written By: Apricot on 03/24/06 at 3:00 pm

10 years ago- I was a wee bairn of 5... I listened to what my parents listened to.. Smooth R&B and Hardcore Rap... my parents are strange.. I didn't like music much.

5 years ago- I was a wee bairn of 10.. I listened to whatever was on the radio. I especially enjoyed bands like Verve Pipe, The Verve, Oasis, R.E.M. I also listened to a lot of classical CDs I got through my school.

1 year ago- This is when my taste in music first developed.. it was when I got a computer and the ability to download on a fast internet connection. I was basically cookie-cutter Indie, although I didn't know it at the time. My bands included Grandaddy, Modest Mouse, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Shins, The Flaming Lips, etc... I also enjoyed the Trippier stuff... Ween, Frank Zappa, Beck..

This year- I've matured and gained a more advanced appreciation and understanding of what I like.. I listen to Indiepop like Momus and The Magnetic Fields, Acid Jazz like The Paper Chase, and darker Indie like Black Heart Procession, Mountain Goats and Daniel Johnston. I also enjoy a few bands I can't quite classify, like Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band, Old Time Relijun, That Dog, and Cornelius.

Written By: Ebontyne on 03/24/06 at 3:35 pm

My musical tastes have changed in that they've broadened. Five years ago I listened to Tori Amos and .... well, that was pretty much it. I had other artists' albums, but I couldn't find any that moved and inspired me as much as this one woman's work did. The music I liked back then needed to be dark, melancholic, intense, and extremely introspective, and Tori satisfied on all counts.

These days, Tori is just one artist I listen to once in a while, rather than being the centre of my collection. Some aspects of her personality and music started to grate on me a little as I transitioned from high school to university. I've since gotten into a lot of other songwriters that have been influential on her music, like Kate Bush (who has slowly nudged Tori out of first place on my unofficial "favourite musicians" list several years back) and Laura Nyro, or else are similarly eccentric, like Jane Siberry and Björk. I've also gotten into a lot more male artists like The Smiths, Nick Cave, and Tim Buckley. I've expanded past the '90s and listen to a greater variety of styles... although I'm still quite picky and I definitely have my preferences.

Maybe the biggest change for me is not in the style of music or even the number of artists I like, but in the way I listen to music. I think I take a more "intellectual" than emotional approach to the music I listen to now; not that I'm not emotionally moved by music (that's hard for me to imagine!), but just that it doesn't need to have immediate, visceral impact for me to appreciate and enjoy it. I can listen to more abstract stuff now, like Kate Bush, Radiohead, and Björk. I also like a sense of humour and fun a lot more than I used to.

I'm still very "artist" focussed though, rather than song or genre focussed. I like to really get immersed in one songwriter's or one band's life's work, and I like listening to albums from start to finish, getting a feel for each of them individually.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/24/06 at 6:41 pm

5 Years Ago-
Tori Amos (the majority of what I listened to, I share this with you, Ebontyne.)
Heavy Metal.
Motown.
The Beatles and other classic rock.
Aretha Franklin.
Madonna.
Radiohead.
Nirvana.
Soundgarden.

Nowadays-
Tori Amos
The Bangles
Beck
Bjork
Kate Bush
Tracy Chapman
Devo
Disco
The Go-Gos
PJ Harvey
Madonna
Joni Mitchell
Motown
Laura Nyro
Liz Phair
The Pixies
Prince
Radiohead
Sonic Youth
Synth pop
The Talking Heads
Stevie Wonder

Written By: sonikuu on 03/24/06 at 7:30 pm

Five years ago, I was totally into 80's music, despite me being born in 1989.  While my peers listened to Limp Bizkit and Blink 182, I got my kicks from Van Halen, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, as well as a ton of one hit wonders of the New Wave variety.  I also watched 80's movies all the time back then.  I had some weird sort of half-80's childhood. 

Ironically, nowadays some of my favorite bands include Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, and tons of other 90's bands (although many, such as the Foo Fighters, are still successful today).  I've also finally gotten into modern rock bands like The Killers, The Gorillaz, and even My Chemical Romance (there goes my credibility).  Modern Rock is actually good in the mid-00's, unlike the horrible Nu-Metal and Pop-Punk fest of the early 00's.

I still find it weird that I've gone from my favorite bands being 80's hair bands to 90's Alternative.  It's a really strange coincidence.  Actually, my whole childhood was surrounded by retro 80's and early 90's stuff, even into the late 90's.  That's a subject for another day though.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/24/06 at 8:42 pm

Five years ago, I was totally into 80's music, despite me being born in 1989.  While my peers listened to Limp Bizkit and Blink 182, I got my kicks from Van Halen, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, as well as a ton of one hit wonders of the New Wave variety.  I also watched 80's movies all the time back then.  I had some weird sort of half-80's childhood. 

Ironically, nowadays some of my favorite bands include Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, and tons of other 90's bands (although many, such as the Foo Fighters, are still successful today).  I've also finally gotten into modern rock bands like The Killers, The Gorillaz, and even My Chemical Romance (there goes my credibility).  Modern Rock is actually good in the mid-00's, unlike the horrible Nu-Metal and Pop-Punk fest of the early 00's.

I still find it weird that I've gone from my favorite bands being 80's hair bands to 90's Alternative.  It's a really strange coincidence.  Actually, my whole childhood was surrounded by retro 80's and early 90's stuff, even into the late 90's.  That's a subject for another day though.

My Chemical Romance comes from Belleville and Kearny, both of which are right near me.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/24/06 at 8:59 pm

10 years ago- I was 8/9 years old and not really into music much yet, but I remember certain songs.

5 years ago- J. Lo, Destiny's Child, Nelly, Shaggy, Janet Jackson, Jagged Edge, Uncle Kracker, 3LW, ATC, Eve, Pink, Evan and Jaron, City High, Lifehouse, Nelly Furtado, NSYNC, Mary J. Blige, Christina Aguilera, even Britney lol. Simply put I listened to whatever was popular, which I still do but I do listen to a wider range of music nowadays.

Nowadays along with today's standard top 40 pop I listen to some songs by Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Panic! at the Disco, Audioslave, H.I.M., Coldplay, Hot Hot Heat, Alice In Chains, O.A.R., plus I still listen to all the stuff from 2001 sometimes.

Check for new replies or respond here...