inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone still love going to the movies?

Written By: 90sto2000sfanrob on 03/24/06 at 5:47 pm

I know with DVD'S, ipods, remakes, more remakes, going to the movies isn't quite as popular as it used to be, but something about walking into a movie theater for me is very nostalgic and personal. I guess I remember going to the movies all my life and a dvd can't justify that experience for me. But I admit I go less than I did when I was younger but mostly because my friends and I have our obligations.

But I still try to see at least 10 a month in theaters. Do you still enjoy the theater?

Subject: Re: Anyone still love going to the movies?

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/24/06 at 5:51 pm

I haven't been to the movies in a year, lol.

Written By: 90sto2000sfanrob on 03/24/06 at 5:53 pm

Lol, what'd you see when you went last?

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/24/06 at 5:53 pm

Star Wars.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/24/06 at 6:25 pm

Hell yeah.  I don't mind the previews, it makes it nearly impossible to be late!  ;D

Written By: Schillingfan on 03/24/06 at 6:27 pm

I don't go to them anymore- except to see any Harry Potter films

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/24/06 at 6:42 pm

Eh, all the panic about the movies not being popular comes from the movies, they suck nowadays largely. But I LOVE going to the movies...in November and December I see like four or five a week sometimes.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/24/06 at 9:04 pm

I still love to go.

Written By: nikki89 on 03/25/06 at 3:03 pm

I would love to go to the movies(it's been 1 year, 5 months, and 10 days since I've been to the movies, I saw Team America). But I just never have the money or a ride or friends who want to go. There's plenty of movies in the last year, 5 months, and 10 days that I wanted to see in the theater but it just hasn't happened.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/06 at 3:04 pm

Two Sundays ago, we saw Walk The Line and it was worth every penny.

Written By: Tia on 03/25/06 at 3:07 pm

i go when i visit my parents a lot. plus it's still a pretty reliable date thing. but i haven't been in a couple months, i don't think. i saw "the passenger" in an advance screening last time i went -- at the MPAA! which is always kinda exciting.

Written By: KKay on 03/25/06 at 3:27 pm

I go to the 'art house'..little theater for old movies and foreign stuff..
but that's it fo r the last two years.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/25/06 at 3:34 pm

I know with DVD'S, ipods, remakes, more remakes, going to the movies isn't quite as popular as it used to be, but something about walking into a movie theater for me is very nostalgic and personal. I guess I remember going to the movies all my life and a dvd can't justify that experience for me. But I admit I go less than I did when I was younger but mostly because my friends and I have our obligations.

But I still try to see at least 10 a month in theaters. Do you still enjoy the theater?

10 a month?  That's a lot, twice a week or more?  I love going to the movies, out of the house, the big screen, you can't beat it for watching a movie the way a movei is supposed to be watched.  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/25/06 at 6:17 pm

I was just talking to someone about this last night. I haven't been to see a movie at the theatre since 1995 (Maverick) and I really don't care to. I prefer to watch movies in my very comfortable Laz-y-Boy. I think it is too expensive to see them at the movies and most movie theatres are now very small-no more BIG screens. Now, to see a play, that is a different story.

Cat

Written By: Apricot on 03/25/06 at 6:28 pm

Dude, the movies are the only thing that keeps my family from killing each other. I love 'em.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/25/06 at 9:49 pm

i go when i visit my parents a lot. plus it's still a pretty reliable date thing. but i haven't been in a couple months, i don't think. i saw "the passenger" in an advance screening last time i went -- at the MPAA! which is always kinda exciting.

I haven't been to the movies since early January, but I think I'm going tomorrow. This is just a low point of the year for movies, IMO.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/25/06 at 11:13 pm

we usually go around once a month or so....we try to make the matinee for the cheaper price! ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/26/06 at 1:09 am

I go to the cinema on average once a month. Only if the film's really worth seeing. A common excuse against going to the movies is, 'I'll just wait til it comes out on video (now DVD).' But how many times do you actually remember to follow up and watch it? Rarely. That's why I try and catch a good movie in the cinema.

Written By: Apricot on 03/26/06 at 5:09 pm

we usually go around once a month or so....we try to make the matinee for the cheaper price! ;)

My family used to go on Friday nights, almost every week.. but my dad got sick of punk kids ruining the movies with their talking, so now we tend to go either Saturday morning to early afternoon (mostly showtimes starting between 11 and 2) as part of a bigger escapade (shopping, family visit, etc.).

The theaters near where we go don't run Saturday matinees, though... go figure.

Written By: 90sto2000sfanrob on 03/26/06 at 5:44 pm

I'm debating to go see Inside Man or V for Vendetta as we speak. I love Natalie Portman but also love Spike Lee. Natalie's an excellent actress plus she's beautiful. But I'll probably just stay home and watch The Sopranos. Tomorrow night, double header.

Written By: Ebontyne on 03/26/06 at 6:37 pm

I do still enjoy the theatre experience, though the pleasure has been somewhat lessened for me in recent years. The price of popcorn and drinks alone is criminal, and I think tickets are also too expensive. I have smuggled in food a few times, though, so at least going to the movies gives me the rare opportunity to be a little devious. ;)

But all in all, I feel like I go to the theatre to give my money away to extortionists rather than to relax and watch a movie; I don't think it is a wise business policy to ever let customers feel like they are being swindled out of their cash. I'm also a bit turned off by the fact that they've started running commercials for ordinary products before the movie starts, as if I'm not bombarded by enough advertising already. ::)

Of course the experience can still be fun, so long as the movie itself is good. After all, I don't absolutely need to buy food, and the advertisements are over and forgotten as soon as the movie starts. The last thing I saw at the theatre was The Chronicles of Narnia, and I rather enjoyed that.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/26/06 at 7:39 pm

Meh. I still do. It'd be nice if it were cheaper though. I never buy food at the movies though, way too pricey.

Can't beat the cinema experience... yet.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/26/06 at 8:02 pm

I've really enjoyed going to movies since last year (2005, the year that is said to be the worst year for movies). Well, I didn't think it was bad because I was really excited to see Star Wars III, Batman Begins, Fantastic 4, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, plus many other movies that came out last year. So far this year, I went to see Final Destination 3, Pink Panther, Date Movie, and V For Vendetta. I plan on going to the movies almost every week over the next few months cause there's a lot of good stuff coming out.

Written By: Gis on 03/27/06 at 3:43 am

I love going to the cinema and go whenever there is a film on I want to see. I never buy food there either it's a rip off. In the U.K you don't have to sneak your own food in though you can just bring it in if you want to.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/06 at 2:22 pm

I love going to the cinema and go whenever there is a film on I want to see. I never buy food there either it's a rip off. In the U.K you don't have to sneak your own food in though you can just bring it in if you want to.
Just have a meal before you see the movie.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/27/06 at 2:27 pm

Lawrence of Arabia riding over the sands just doesn't translate the same way on the television. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/27/06 at 6:09 pm

Going to see Ice Age 2 this week.

Written By: 90sto2000sfanrob on 03/27/06 at 8:04 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing The Departed and The Davinci Code the most this year. Also Woody Allen has a film lined up and I love his movies. I'm going to see Inside Man tomorrow. A lot of great movies lined up this year. Last year was rather dissapointing even though many movies impressed me. I saw V for Vendetta tonight. I usually eat a big meal before I go and occasionaly buy a popcorn. I do agree the prices are pretty much criminal. But it's worthed for me.

Check for new replies or respond here...