inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: the scissor sisters???

Written By: Digital on 03/25/06 at 4:13 pm

I've been hearing from a number of people that "scissor sisters - take your mama out" is not an original song... If this is so is there anyone out there who knows who the origianl artist is, I have been searching all over and can't find a hint of what they are saying to be true. If anyone here can help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Sincerely,
Daryl

Subject: Re: the scissor sisters???

Written By: Apricot on 03/25/06 at 4:46 pm

Really? I mean, it sounds like it could be a remake, but I've found nothing implying that it actually is.

It sounds like it might be a folk song... American or otherwise.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/25/06 at 5:25 pm

I've been hearing from a number of people that "scissor sisters - take your mama out" is not an original song... If this is so is there anyone out there who knows who the origianl artist is, I have been searching all over and can't find a hint of what they are saying to be true. If anyone here can help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Sincerely,
Daryl

Perhaps you've picked the wrong song of theirs? "Comfortably Numb" is a remake of a Pink Floyd song. The songwriting credits on "Take Your Mama" are the same as those on their other original tunes, so, were it a remake, it'd be a plagiarized one...

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/26/06 at 12:12 am

I strongly suspected that when I first heard it...they say they are strongly influenced by Elton John and the Bee Gees, which might offer a clue...

Overall, they were an ok band. More of a 2004-05 thing though.

Having said that, 'unconscious plagiarism' is more common today than you think. Take the Strokes' 'razorblade' and listen to Barry Manilow's 'Mandy'. No, you didn't think the Strokes listened to Barry Manilow, did you?

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 12:19 am

I like Scissor Sisters. :)

Good music is good music, no matter if it came out last year or not.

Anyway, everything is shared in music in some form another. 

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/26/06 at 1:30 am

I don't know that much about them but I've heard some of their stuff, they're alright. I saw them on SNL maybe a year ago as well.

Written By: Gis on 03/26/06 at 3:06 am

I can't stand them ! The weird thing is when they first came out so many people said to me you will absolutely love this band. So I rushed off and downloaded some tracks and hated them !! I actually took the disc out of my cd player and frisbeed it in the bin.

Written By: star500 on 03/26/06 at 1:47 pm

Did the Scissor Sisters sing a song called Laura? The reason I ask, is because I have a sister named Laura and I want to tease her and tell her that there is a song named after her! ;D

Written By: whistledog on 03/26/06 at 1:51 pm

Did the Scissor Sisters sing a song called Laura? The reason I ask, is because I have a sister named Laura and I want to tease her and tell her that there is a song named after her! ;D

They do have a song named Laura :)

Written By: Apricot on 03/26/06 at 5:13 pm

Having said that, 'unconscious plagiarism' is more common today than you think. Take the Strokes' 'razorblade' and listen to Barry Manilow's 'Mandy'. No, you didn't think the Strokes listened to Barry Manilow, did you?

I think The Strokes just do that a lot.. listen to the guitar on "Is This It?"... it sounds damn near The Pixies "Where Is My Mind?".

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/26/06 at 6:25 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: jaytee on 03/27/06 at 7:47 am

I really like them and so do my daughters.

Written By: Digital on 03/27/06 at 1:52 pm

I know that comfortably numb was a remake, but my grandmother started to sing along to the take your mama out song and I know she hadn't heard if from the scissor sisters so I was a little confused is all... maybe it was a folk song and they jazzed it up enough to make it their own.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/27/06 at 9:46 pm

Ya gotta love a cover band who takes their name from a lesbian sex act.  8)

I love their version of "Comfortably Numb".  I have 3 different versions of it that I play at gigs all the time.  One advantage of working in Alabama is that most people here have never heard of them.

Written By: La Roche on 03/27/06 at 9:53 pm

I can't stand them ! The weird thing is when they first came out so many people said to me you will absolutely love this band. So I rushed off and downloaded some tracks and hated them !! I actually took the disc out of my cd player and frisbeed it in the bin.

I have to agree, I can't see what all the fuss is. Just another flash in the pan is my guess.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/28/06 at 1:55 am

I have to agree, I can't see what all the fuss is. Just another flash in the pan is my guess.

Well they impressed my uncle, certainly.  And he is the man who owns over 5,000 albums on vinyl. 

Written By: Gis on 03/28/06 at 5:52 am

Well they impressed my uncle, certainly.  And he is the man who owns over 5,000 albums on vinyl. 
And I bet a few of those are crap too !!  ;)

Written By: La Roche on 03/28/06 at 8:03 am

Come.. see my basement  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/28/06 at 12:46 pm

And I bet a few of those are crap too !!  ;)

Actually no. I don't care if this sounds arrogant or not, but the man knows more about music than 99% of the general population could ever hope to. The guy didn't even watch T.V. for about 15 years, all he ever did was listen to music.

Written By: La Roche on 03/28/06 at 12:59 pm

Actually no. I don't care if this sounds arrogant or not, but the man knows more about music than 99% of the general population could ever hope to. The guy didn't even watch T.V. for about 15 years, all he ever did was listen to music.

Which is all well and good..

I'm a classicaly trained musician, have tried my hand at over a dozen intruments and could probably play a tune you would recognise on each one of them, however, I make no boasts that I am a better musician than 99% of the population (mainly because I'm a jack of all trades but a master of none  ;)) on the same basis, your uncle could listen to 100,000 records if he wanted to, he could recite a hundred albums for every letter of the alphabet and every number from 1 to 1000, that's just trivia.

I'm sure he does know a lot, but it's very silly to claim just because somebody is interested in something that they automatically 'know' more about it, especially something as subjective as music  ;)

Written By: Criz on 03/28/06 at 3:10 pm

I actually quite liked them. Got their album and it had some pretty decent album tracks as well as their already well know singles, my favourite being 'It Can't Come Quickly Enough'.

To go back to the initial point raised...I'm 99% sure that Jake Shears and 'Babydaddy' wrote 'Take Your Mama'.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/29/06 at 1:49 am

Wouldn't be that surprised if that were the case (they copied the song). Scissor Sisters tended to be more about image than substance...but then again, that is the main tenet of the whole GLAM (whether it be glam rock, glam 'rap', glam fashion) philosophy.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/29/06 at 1:55 am

I like The Scissor Sisters.  Too bad Jake Shears is gay; he's SUPAFINE.

Written By: Gis on 03/29/06 at 8:58 am

Sorry I can't agree with that, it would be impossible to own 5000 albums and NOT have some dodgy ones among them.There are many bands who had one or two great tracks which prompts you to buy the album only to find the rest are very poor for example. I have about 2500 albums and I certainly have some sh*t in the collection ! 

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/31/06 at 3:13 am

Sorry I can't agree with that, it would be impossible to own 5000 albums and NOT have some dodgy ones among them.There are many bands who had one or two great tracks which prompts you to buy the album only to find the rest are very poor for example. I have about 2500 albums and I certainly have some sh*t in the collection ! 

Suppose so..

But I'd say he has as little crap as you COULD have(really its an awesome collection)..

I like The Scissor Sisters.  Too bad Jake Shears is gay; he's SUPAFINE.

:o

I did a google image search on the guy, and I must say he most definitely IS... gay. ;D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...