inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: VH1 Classic will air "99 Red Balloons" video for an hour straight

Written By: Billy Florio on 03/25/06 at 4:28 pm

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/31033858

'99 Red Balloons' Video to Air for an Hour
03/24/2006 11:10 AM, AP

They're kidding, right?

VH1 Classic will present a full hour of the English and German music videos for the 1984 hit "99 Luftballons," aka "99 Red Balloons," by German rock group Nena.

The music video presentation, to air Sunday (2 p.m. EST), caps off the cable channel's "Pay to Play for Hurricane Katrina Relief," which raised over $200,000 for Mercy Corps, a humanitarian relief organization.

Viewers could request one video to be played on VH1 Classic for every $25 donation. For a $35,000 donation, they could select an hour's worth of music videos from the 1960s through the early 1990s.

However, one viewer chose something different for his allotted hour, requesting continuous playing of "99 Luftballons," said VH1 spokeswoman Maura Wozniak.

"99 Luftballons" is a Cold-War era protest song that tells the story of 99 red balloons floating into the air, triggering an apocalypse when the military sends planes to intercept them.

Subject: Re: VH1 Classic will air "99 Red Balloons" video for an hour straight

Written By: Electric Youth on 03/25/06 at 4:46 pm

Requesting for charity is good

Though I don't have the channel  :P  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/06 at 4:46 pm

With or without commercials?

Written By: Apricot on 03/25/06 at 4:49 pm

Dude.. if I had enough money... I would have done something like that.. but for a whole day.

And I'd have used my friend's video for Frank Zappa's "I'm So Cute".

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/25/06 at 4:51 pm

That's nice, but I couldn't listen to any song for an hour straight ... except maybe "Take on Me" or "Mad World".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/25/06 at 6:10 pm

I remember one time on MTV (when the "M" DID stand for music), they had a contest where people made their own videos of Madonna's True Blue. So, if you watched it, you heard the song for about an hour but at least each video was different. Since it wasn't one of my favorite songs, I think I turned the volume off and just watched the videos.  :D

Cat

Written By: Dukefan on 03/26/06 at 7:27 pm

I watched the video twice just for old times sake.  Very fun song to listen to.  They rotated between the English and German versions. 

Written By: loki 13 on 03/26/06 at 8:51 pm

I was wondering why they kept showing the videos over and over.
I thought the guy at the controls fell asleep or locked himself in the
booth and kept playing it like that DJ did wit Buddy Holly's "That'll Be The Day".

Check for new replies or respond here...